Summit

The problem with subjective impressions

Rate this topic

53 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

I know that you have a pretty good grasp on some science fundamentals

One additional thought: The only reason I have any grasp at all of science fundamentals is because I listen to people like you. And that's a whole lot easier when it's a pleasant interaction.

Obviously the layperson in these interactions can make it unpleasant - I'm not absolving laypeople of their own responsibility at all.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

54 minutes ago, Jud said:

Obviously the layperson in these interactions can make it unpleasant - I'm not absolving laypeople of their own responsibility at all.

Oh yeah, we know both sides can go there!  I do have a problem that people that readily conflate facts with opinion.  My father didn't suffer idiots well, either.

I have to remember what my High School calc teacher said one time:  "The only good reason to beat your head against the wall is because it feels good when you stop."  😁

3 hours ago, marce said:

That's why I think open discussion is important to sort the facts from the fiction, what is important, what has the most effect... Input from all sides...

I note that Ralf11 has favourably reacted to that, YET he is one of the main offenders when it comes down to stifling debate with his heavy handed moderation and attempts to steer the conclusion of the thread to his desired outcome.

What we appear to need here is removal of the automatic granting of Moderator privileges, and each request considered on a case by case basis by Chris, or any appointed Moderators.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I note that Ralf11 has favourably reacted to that, YET he is one of the main offenders when it comes down to stifling debate with his heavy handed moderation and attempts to steer the conclusion of the thread to his desired outcome.

What we appear to need here is removal of the automatic granting of Moderator privileges, and each request considered on a case by case basis by Chris, or any appointed Moderators.

What's with the vendetta against Ralf11? Did he run over your dingo?

I just chalk it up to smoke inhalation.

If he isn't attacking me, he is attacking someone else.  Look at the thread he caused to be shut down yesterday.

It's like a Chihuahua on meth (on his bad days).

16 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

If he isn't attacking me, he is attacking someone else.

Thanks for taking one for the team.

Girl, you want it, you take it, you pay the price

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

We don’t have auto moderator here at AS. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

19 minutes ago, esldude said:

A friend who should know better was all jacked up on the idea adding acetone could improve his gas mileage.  Asked my opinion, and I told him I was pretty sure it would not.  He asked for an explanation (I was going to be nice and say nothing more).  I explained how its BTU value vs gasoline was less, it wouldn't increase octane etc. etc.  He was only more adamant about trying it t

Increasing octane does not increase gas mileage. Filling a car with higher octane gasoline than that for which the engine has been designed to run is simply a complete waste of money. However, running a car on lower octane gasoline than specified will cause an engine to run inefficiently, thereby decreasing mileage. So, offering an explanation while lacking the requisite knowledge and/or expertise is often unhelpful, and the reason why some people feel they have to prove or disprove things, as the case may be, for themselves. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"- William Bruce Cameron

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

Increasing octane does not increase gas mileage. Putting high octane gasoline in a car with an engine designed to run on regular gasoline is simply a complete waste of money. So, offering an explanation while lacking the knowledge and/or expertise of the particular subject is often unhelpful and the reason why people sometimes offering have to prove or disprove things, as the case may be, for themselves.

NOT TRUE!!  My uncle did this once and loved the sound of the engine.

5 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Increasing octane does not increase gas mileage. Filling a car with higher octane gasoline than that for which the engine has been designed to run is simply a complete waste of money. So, offering an explanation while lacking the requisite knowledge and/or expertise is often unhelpful, and the reason why some people feel they have to prove or disprove things, as the case may be, for themselves. :)

I knew that.  It was the friend who put that forward as a reason initially.  I told him same as you wrote. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Repeatedly insisting that power or interconnect cables cannot improve sound is needed to counter such insanity.

Would the effect or no effect of power cords have anything to do with unregulated power supplies in tube amps?  Seems like you could measure this one pretty easy.  

2 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Would the effect or no effect of power cords have anything to do with unregulated power supplies in tube amps?  Seems like you could measure this one pretty easy.  

You do know the overwhelming majority of solid state amps have unregulated supplies don't you?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Repeatedly insisting that power or interconnect cables cannot improve sound is needed to counter such insanity.

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

NOT TRUE!!  My uncle did this once and loved the sound of the engine.

And some people actually question the value of the Ignore List. Go figure. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"- William Bruce Cameron

oh, BTW - when I wrote"power or interconnect cables" I should have said "AC power or interconnect cables" - I think the jury may still be out on DC power cables.

OTOH, audiophiles seem to have a noise infestation fetish so who knows?

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

You do know the overwhelming majority of solid state amps have unregulated supplies don't you?

But still much less voltage than a tube amp supply, so less demanding, no?

4 minutes ago, Kimo said:

But still much less voltage than a tube amp supply, so less demanding, no?

Actually the reverse is usually true.  High voltage lower current in tube amps.  Lower voltage higher current in solid state.  But both are similarly related to the power output vs power drawn from the wall plug.