IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

If the bugs die, the people die, and then new bugs will emerge. Eventually, possibly, also new people.

I would prefer new and better octopi.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

1 minute ago, Norton said:

As seafood or our new galactic overlords?  In view of the possibility of the latter, I refrain from the former.  IMHO not a good  look to have to admit to the octopoid  invaders that you’ve been chowing down on their relations.

I’m assuming the bi-peds screwed up and therefore don’t really deserve a reprise. In the grand scheme of things I don’t think nature cares about who ate who. Octopus intelligence has evolved along completely different lines from humans and it seems only fair they should be given a shot to evolve their equivalent of language and writing systems (squid ink based?) and whatnot. 

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

1 minute ago, Solstice380 said:

Haven't they had eons already and didn't?

You could have said that about the bipeds until very recently, less than 500k to 100k years or so.

1 minute ago, Solstice380 said:

No where near as long as those squiggly things have been around.  So they aren't evolving very fast.

We had been busily evolving for a long time, not just the 500k years or less when we came up with language, and then much more recently (less than 10k years) when we came up with writing systems.

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Octopi might have a shot.

you are never going to get an advanced civilization going without the ability to manipulate objects - ask a dolphin if you don't believe me.

Yes, with eight arms with suction cups and each with its own distributed intelligence, it beats dolphin fins.

11 minutes ago, marce said:

Who need ink when your body is a monitor...

Indeed octopi haz pixels, good point!

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Maybe with a few more crisper experiments we could give dolphins arms.  Wonder if China would jail someone for doing that?

They need their fins to swim.

Just now, pkane2001 said:

May as well give them legs, too. 

OK, lets not start with dolphins then.