IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

12 hours ago, semente said:

May end up buying a pair of all-in-ones like the D&Ds or something similar.

Yes, would seem to be a very good solution for someone like you. Move, and take your system with you, without too much hassle. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Who actually believes that they can decide the perfect component to purchase form reviews??? OK, if a lot of negatives then you may have something to "not" go for.  There is no way that another person's impression, whose tastes you really don't know, should influence you.  I'm not that easily lead.  Problem is that there is no way short of a long car / plane trip to audition equipment.  Not to mention if it is only sold on the web.  That's a conundrum. 

I think reviews can be helpful. I prefer reviews where they compare components and describe how they differ (or don't).

But, many reviewers don't agree with making comparisons in reviews.

If I have read the reviewer enough to know his/her taste, or if I know one of the components in question, the review can help me build a list of components I am or am not interested in. 

I also wouldn't buy stuff just on the basis of reviews - unless the cost is something I don't think is significant, or unless I'm looking more for a set of features and less about "perfect sound". Sometimes certain features mean more to me than some very small difference in SQ that I probably won't notice in everyday listening. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

10 hours ago, esldude said:

Which is why good reviews tend to avoid that.  You would need to touch upon it at some point in regards to cost vs performance although one can do a good review leaving even that out.

There are $500 DACs which measure extremely well- basically state of the art -  and $12000 DACs which measure slightly better, although marginally so.

Some people will conclude that this means there is no reason to buy any DAC other than the $500 dollar one. Ohters will want to get that last bit of extreme performance. 

I'd bet for both camps the amount of disposable income plays a large part in that decision. 

I'm not convinced all DACs that measure above a certain threshold sound the same, but clearly there is a curve of diminishing returns in audio - and  a steep one. But where along that curve of diminishing returns I want to get off the curve is a very different question.