IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

Just now, sandyk said:

Many members do not agree with you in this area, and furthermore you are highly unlikely to be ever able to disprove what they report hearing using current measurement techniques.

Many many qualified members do not agree with you in this area

It is easy to disprove impressionistic "reports"

6 hours ago, marce said:

I get the impression from these sort of comment on this thread and similar comments on other threads by others, that the hardcore subjective fraternity won't be happy until I and certain other members are banned and every thread is censored and cleansed of any comments they don't like. The forum has already been stifled by recent events and there are specific threads to discuss this, instead of every thread getting polluted by this negativity. What was an interesting forum full of lively debate has turned into a rather dull place, where the only conversations allowed are approved ones.

That's right.  IIRC, Bill explained why that is.

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

Increasing octane does not increase gas mileage. Putting high octane gasoline in a car with an engine designed to run on regular gasoline is simply a complete waste of money. So, offering an explanation while lacking the knowledge and/or expertise of the particular subject is often unhelpful and the reason why people sometimes offering have to prove or disprove things, as the case may be, for themselves.

NOT TRUE!!  My uncle did this once and loved the sound of the engine.

6 hours ago, mansr said:

When someone asks for advice, how are we to know which kinds of advice are allowed before Alex or one of his goons shows up to tell us?

It's only needed when it's wanted (see above).  Because it is posted on the public internet, you will have to divine not only the internal mental condition of the OP but of everyone who might read the thread.

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was just thinking about this a bit more. Perhaps the reason so many of us like to upgrade or make changes is because of the power of music. We want something more and are willing to try things, sometimes non-sensical things, to get there. And, the journey can be fun. 

I know it sounds a bit like chasing the dragon, but this is completely voluntary and enjoyable for so may of us. 

Well, I upgrade every 20 years so you got me with that quote.

dolphins have limited manipulation ability using their beak (so do parrots)

but dolphins would make great audiophiles - not only the HF hearing but they can also emit sound loud enough to stun fish

now, imagine a fish-y audiophool sales person, and a dolphin walks into the store...