IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

54 minutes ago, Jud said:

Obviously the layperson in these interactions can make it unpleasant - I'm not absolving laypeople of their own responsibility at all.

Oh yeah, we know both sides can go there!  I do have a problem that people that readily conflate facts with opinion.  My father didn't suffer idiots well, either.

I have to remember what my High School calc teacher said one time:  "The only good reason to beat your head against the wall is because it feels good when you stop."  😁

9 hours ago, Allan F said:

if the difference is significant enough to justify the expenditure of changing the device.

Your whole post is good. I think that this (quoted) is always going to be a personal thing, as you say.  How do you gauge the value of an incremental improvement to someone other than yourself?  Hell, I wrestle with myself all the time over that one!  I LOVE the sound of my system as it is - best I've ever had in my life since I dove into this rabbit hole buying good equipment starting in the early 80s.  The incremental for me would cost huuuuge money but for someone else starting out it may not.  And my gains will, most likely, be less than theirs.

I used to (somewhat) jokingly say:  The universe is 100% physics and 100% personal preference.  Respect both!

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's what it seems to me, but I want to ask so I can fully understand before I conclude anything. 

I agree with STC ( @Samuel T Cogley ) that it is pretty much rampant consumerism that is killing everything in the world, planet included, if that is the basis of his comments. It's often a fine line between cynicism and harsh, but unpopular, reality.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm glad you found some information that you like and that suits your needs. 

Who actually believes that they can decide the perfect component to purchase form reviews??? OK, if a lot of negatives then you may have something to "not" go for.  There is no way that another person's impression, whose tastes you really don't know, should influence you.  I'm not that easily lead.  Problem is that there is no way short of a long car / plane trip to audition equipment.  Not to mention if it is only sold on the web.  That's a conundrum. 

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is interesting. You can use a group of negative reviews but not positive reviews? Care to square that?

Expectation bias on the part of the reviewer.  Nobody WANTS to do a negative review so if it out there the product must really be bad.  It takes forever to prove a theory right and one negative instance to prove it wrong.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Doesn't that go both ways?

3 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Expectation bias on the part of the reviewer.  Nobody WANTS to do a negative review so if it out there the product must really be bad.  It takes forever to prove a theory right and one negative instance to prove it wrong.

See new edit.  You are fast with that mouse!

1 minute ago, esldude said:

If one is careful, you can separate value from description if you try. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Nobody can determine the value for you, that's up to you.  And there really isn't any way to measure the magnitude of these differences.  So reviews of anything other than functionality and whether or not it hurt the reviewers ears are useless.

Just now, esldude said:

I don't agree at all past your second sentence.  Any reviews for which that is true are not worth the time it took to write them.

Okay, we agree to disagree on this one. 🙂  Can a reviewer truly determine the value of something for you?  i don't think you really mean it that way do you?  You seem an independent sort who proves things to themselves.  Your posts may just read that way.