IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

For me, building or developing a higher fidelity system is a long-term project which results from identifying shortcomings in the different components/equipment and dealing with them.

This requires a combination of observational listening and measurements.

Put a new equipment in the system, listen for a week or two then go back to the original setup for a bit. This will highlight the differences. In my opinion and experience short duration A/B comparisons are mostly worthless.

Observational listening is not tasting. To listen critically one must focus on the shortcomings. It's easy to lose track (of sound) and start enjoying a new presentation of your recordings (music).

Most commercial reviews are little more than tasting.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

59 minutes ago, Summit said:

How do you identify shortcomings in different components/equipment in an audio system by listening?

How are you dealing with the shortcomings that has been identified? like @fas42 :).

Can you show me a review that you have made?

When I identify a shortcoming I try to find the cause using available measurements, the little technical knowledge I have, prior listening experience of brands and of topologies. I then shortlist potential replacement equipment worth auditioning using measurements and hope that it/they won't create new problems that I didn't have before.

I don't make/write reviews, and I don't read them either. But I find measurements very useful.

This review is a lot more informative than most (it's got measurements, comparison with references, description of sonic attributes, panel auditioning)

S100-HiFi+News.pdf

Most of us are limited in the scope of "interventions" by our inability to modify/improve equipment. All commercial equipment can be improved (by how much varies depending on several factors).

Most of us unfortunately can only replace a piece of equipment with a different unit.

52 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The affordable microphones that most members are likely to use are NOT capable of accurately measuring the frequency response of speakers, especially in the area above 15KHZ, and this should be left to the experts . Hobbyist measurements are normally a guide ONLY. 

Those mics are perfectly adequate for helping with speaker and listening spot positioning, and for EQ purposes but I wouldn't  use them to develop a pair of speakers.

21 minutes ago, Summit said:

I have also found that I prefer reviewers that use well-known sound quality descriptions and are consistent in their observations and reviews about what they hear. Though it takes time and many reviews to get to know a reviewer and how he/she use those well establish words/terms to describe various sonic alterations, and remember that it is easy to mix those reviewer up. How many reviews does it takes before I will know if I can trust and relate to the reviewers sonic view and wording for describing what he/she has heard subjectively 5, 6, 7 or 10?

Would we use recipes with very vague and subjective measures? No, small can sometimes be 5 gram and in another recipe it can be 20 gram.

Even if I get to “know” and trust a reviewer so much that I will take their impressions as of any real value at all we still have the problem of gradation.  What I mean and think is a big problem is that we lack ways to describe how big or small one identified sonic alterations really is in one gear VS another gear. What am trying (hard) to explain is that besides that we need universal terms/vocabulary to describe different sonic attributes, like warm, full, transparency, rich, harsh and so on, we also need a way to quantify those difference better. I have read many impressions and reviews and found that that even the best ones use just a few different words/adjectives to quantify the difference.

We use such subjective wordings as the DAC A had a clearly more harsh upper minds or the amp had more grunt and better low bass punch. How much is more or clearly more? I mean compared to what reference, and are we only comparing to other DACs or the final sound? I would like to know how small/big the difference is in reality as well.

To me it doesn’t matter which quantifying adjective we use they are always very vague and subjective. It can help if they compare the reviewed gear to another similar audio gear, but it is uncommon that the reviewer also tell how big the SQ difference is in the grand scheme of things. Can the much more transparent DAC for example be describes as 2 or 4, if the gradation could be everything from 0-10 (0=no difference 10= night and day difference)?

Yes the gradation is subjective and not truly objective, but with them we would at least know how big/small the sonic difference the reviewer think they have and doesn’t need to guess about that. Today it is possible to write a very long review where every word has to be interpret, and often in a context which is not well known if you haven’t read many other reviews by the same author and you also know how the rest of his gear in his reference audio system sound like.   

TL; DR Good reviewer that use well-known sound quality descriptions consistently and that compare the SQ characteristics to other well-known gear, and that at least are trying to be objective about how big/small the impact is in their audio chain (preferably by gradate the influence they have).  

Unless one's looking for a very particular sonic signature (say a vintage-sounding, extremely coloured presentation - the typical AD selection) I can't see how a sonic appraisal as it's currently performed by magazine reviewers can help.

Shortcomings are almost always glossed over, deeply buried between the lines, or the reviewer actually enjoys the resulting perceptual effects in which case a downside surprisingly becomes an asset.

The quest for hi-fi is a personal journey. In my opinion we need to equip ourselves with as many "tools" as possible and keep focusing in things that matter. I really dislike this cliché but there really aren't any free lunches...

What about this? (DAC specs)

• Critical electronic components are thermally stabilized for consistently accurate conversion
  • Automatic calibration internally adjusts to aging components, maintaining unit performance over time

26 minutes ago, mansr said:

Disagreed. Long-term changes (e.g. electrolytic caps drying out) won't be undone by any duration of operation.

But apparently one DAC manufacturer has designed an in-built system which compensates for component ageing:

http://www.lavryengineering.com/wiki/index.php/LavryGold_DA924

I've wasted too much money in this hobby, partly thanks to subjective magazine reviews, hype and shilling.

And I'm not a flavour-of-the-month kind of guy who swaps gear because he has an itch, nor have an interest for cables.

I genuinely try to identify the problems and the causes, and to upgrade.

I was happy with my homeland system but a move abroad forced me to sell my speakers and rip my CDs. I am a wanderer now, 3 different homes in 5 years. I've since bought three pairs of used speakers, two used DACs and two new Pi DACs. I've had to downsize the speakers but have been struggling to live with that.

Now the time as come to stop buying stuff...

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hate to sound like a pusher of products and more buying, but a headphone based system could be perfect for your lifestyle. 

Not at all, thanks for the suggestion.

I have actually bought a pair of NADs before Christmas, but I never enjoyed listening with headphones and these aren't going to change that.

May end up buying a pair of all-in-ones like the D&Ds or something similar.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was just thinking about this a bit more. Perhaps the reason so many of us like to upgrade or make changes is because of the power of music. We want something more and are willing to try things, sometimes non-sensical things, to get there. And, the journey can be fun. 

I know it sounds a bit like chasing the dragon, but this is completely voluntary and enjoyable for so may of us. 

I think that there's a bit of both: the quest for better sound and the crave for purchasing or replacing stuff. Shopping is addictive. Many people with depression become compulsive shoppers.

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

When Tidal was brimming with UMG audibly watermarked files (seems some/many have been replaced with MQA), people listening with headphones seemed much more likely to notice than those listening with speakers.  To me, that's a ringing endorsement of headphone listening.

You have to enjoy it.

For it's a weird, unnatural listening experience and not particularly comfortable.