Rate this topic

Happy Holidays AS Members! I am interested in two DAC's that I may decide to purchase. The DAC's under consideration are the MHDT Orchid and the Lampizator Amber 3. I am seeking feedback from users that have experience with either or both DAC's. My current system consists of an Innuos music server/streamer with a Hegel integrated amp/dac. Looking to capture a bit more analog sound or warmth to my digital frontend. Thanks in advance for your feedback.  

you'd need to do a listening test with both side by side, or at minimum, a listening comparison

anecdotal opinion is that the Lampizator is "analog" sounding, FWIW (not much)

or...

a nice tube pre-amp might make you happy if you run the DAC into it - I use an ARC LS25 Mk II partly as a euphonicizer...

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Heard a Lampizator a couple of times, at audio shows. In the room where the setup was best sorted it demonstrated an ability to deliver the sound of the recording, without extra digital "nastiness", or dullness - thumbs up! Possible downside is that it may, like so much digital hardware, be susceptible to interference which significantly degrades what many people call, "analogue qualities" - I say this because when the Lampizator was fed, for a track or two only, from an Oppo used as the transport, there was far too much 'digititis' in the SQ.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. Your comments are well taken. I would also like to hear from anyone who has used these DAC's in their system. I realize that opinions are subjective, but many of you are quite experienced at discerning the nuances between various components. I know you are out there. Cheers