IGNORED

Giant Killer Headphones?

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth subscribing to the Drop (massdrop) newsletter, they regularly have good deals on all types of headphones.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 12/27/2019 at 5:21 PM, Milan said:

Giant Killer Headphones?

Please list the models you think fits this phrase?

GIGO

define what you like,budget, playback chain.  There is no "smackdown" with headphones, just the question of what works well within your equipment and budget constraints...

raise or lower the bar on system/budget and the answer changes.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 6:38 PM, davide256 said:

GIGO

define what you like,budget, playback chain.  There is no "smackdown" with headphones, just the question of what works well within your equipment and budget constraints...

raise or lower the bar on system/budget and the answer changes.

Actually it was just the word itself that made me make the thread.

And I like how it is developing in the sense that a Sennheiser HD 800 can be a giant or a giant killer depending on what it is compared to.

IMO, the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro are giant killers. I know they're not exactly cheap, but compared to many headphones available now, they certainly are.

I brought mine to the 2019 Toronto Audiofest, where I heard top of the line headphones from Focal, Abyss, Hifiman and Stax, mostly powered by multi-kilobuck DAC's and amps. I had my DT 1990 headphones with me, and switched them in and out in some setups. My conclusion is that the DT 1990, with Analytical pads, through a Hafler HA15 amp, is my headphone end-game. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

As a past owner of the Stax SR-44 Earspeakers, I was very surprised to find that I did not like the Stax 007 and 009 ESL's; very poor PRaT.

I am not a fan of the muffled sounding HD 650, which I've had in-house for extended periods. They are tolerable, barely, through a Bottlehead Crack.

I'd love to hear RAAL Sr1a's though. Or maybe I wouldn't if they're as good as @The Computer Audiophile says. 😉

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

19 hours ago, audiobomber said:

IMO, the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro are giant killers. I know they're not exactly cheap, but compared to many headphones available now, they certainly are.

I have a different opinion with regard to the DT 1990 Pro. I had it for several weeks, but the Dan Clark Audio Aeon was clearly better and much more comfortable. Admittedly the Aeon was also a bit more expensive. Therefore I don't believe that the DT 1990 Pro is a giant killer, as it was not even able to "kill" the Aeon. 😉

I guess, searching for a giant killer is just wishful thinking. I have/had the headphones below and the order of sound quality is not exactly spectacular:
Stax SR009 (BHSE amp) > Sennheiser HD800S > Aeon 2 (slightly better than) > Aeon > Beyerdynamic 1990

I am also very curious to hear a RAAL SR1a, preferably with the RAAL amp HSA-1a. I am afraid I am not only curious... I am tempted.

15 hours ago, Urs said:

I have a different opinion with regard to the DT 1990 Pro. I had it for several weeks, but the Dan Clark Audio Aeon was clearly better and much more comfortable. Admittedly the Aeon was also a bit more expensive. Therefore I don't believe that the DT 1990 Pro is a giant killer, as it was not even able to "kill" the Aeon. 😉

I guess, searching for a giant killer is just wishful thinking. I have/had the headphones below and the order of sound quality is not exactly spectacular:
Stax SR009 (BHSE amp) > Sennheiser HD800S > Aeon 2 (slightly better than) > Aeon > Beyerdynamic 1990

I am also very curious to hear a RAAL SR1a, preferably with the RAAL amp HSA-1a. I am afraid I am not only curious... I am tempted.

Perfectly understandable. Headphone preferences vary wildly, anyone who follows head-fi sees this constantly. Witness the furor on this site due to the LCD by review by  @Sonis. Grado and Sennheiser both make headphones that some hate, others love.

I dislike the DT 1990 with the standard Balanced pads, which make them sound V-shaped. I only listen with the Analytical ear pads, where to me they sound neutral and fast, others disagree. They are giant killers to me, because they have caused me to lose interest in the costlier headphones. The RAAL ribbons however, don't appear to sound like headphones, which would prompt me to jump if I eventually move to an apartment.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.