Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: Purifi PTT6.5 Woofer and 1ET400A Amplifier Technology Review


Recommended Posts

Satish, thanks!

 

Yes, the PTT6.5 produces low bass at low to medium volumes. You don't need to pump up the volume for it to produce. Extremely linear. Using JRiver's loudness control (which is calibrated and I always use) even at really low background levels sounds "full."

 

Kind regards,

Mitch

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 4:13 AM, mitchco said:

Satish, thanks!

 

Yes, the PTT6.5 produces low bass at low to medium volumes. You don't need to pump up the volume for it to produce. Extremely linear. Using JRiver's loudness control (which is calibrated and I always use) even at really low background levels sounds "full."

 

Kind regards,

Mitch

Mitch, I live in an apartment and getting decent bass from a pair of QUAD ESL's is a bit frustrating. I know I would enjoy immensely a full but well defined bass. Lack of definition and articulation in bass is mainly what has stopped me from moving away from ESL's as I found that is not easy to get that quality without investing serious money...

Maybe there is a good solution here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MikeJazz said:

Mitch, I live in an apartment and getting decent bass from a pair of QUAD ESL's is a bit frustrating. I know I would enjoy immensely a full but well defined bass. Lack of definition and articulation in bass is mainly what has stopped me from moving away from ESL's as I found that is not easy to get that quality without investing serious money...

Maybe there is a good solution here.

Mike, could be... these are as good as it gets for a a small cone driver.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

That's Mitchco,

 

Greatly appreciate your hard work (is it really 🙂 ? ) on these projects.   As a result I found the Madonna CD and the Patricia Barber CD 24/192 SACD version.

 

Patricia Barber’s, Regular Pleasures (DR15) is a torture test for amps/loudspeakers with its concussive bass drum and sliding bass line.

 

I cranked Regular Pleasures on my Kii 3's and found they were able to sail through with ease.   Bruno and Co obviously know what they are doing.  I wonder if down the track Bruno will replace the amp modules in the Kii 3's with the new Purifi Amps. 

 

Happy writing and listening.  Tough gig but someone has to do it.  🙂

 

Regards Cazzesman  🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

 

I cranked Regular Pleasures on my Kii 3's and found they were able to sail through with ease.   Bruno and Co obviously know what they are doing.  I wonder if down the track Bruno will replace the amp modules in the Kii 3's with the new Purifi Amps. 

 

 

 

 

 

 I certainly don't know all the legal ins and outs, but Bruno can't just pick and choose even his own technologies, as the companies aren't necessarily commonly owned. For instance, even though Kii and Mola Mola use similar DAC principles-technology (software),  Bruno said he  had to rewrite the code for the Kiis as he wasn't allowed to just copy chunks of code from Mola Mola and use it again in the Kiis.
 

The amps in the Kiis are Bruno's "NCore" designs, but a unique implementation. I'd imagine that if Kii wanted to move to Purifi amps they would have to design a new module for a Purifi based Kii. Not sure if that's an easy thing to do. Might mean a whole new model of speaker, and not just "switching amps".

Bruno has said one of the goals at Kii is to only bring to market new products that are truly difference making, and not just "upgrades" of existing products. I think it could be claimed that  switching the Kii Three to Purifi amps would be only an incremental upgrade. Now if they also used Purifi speakers, that would be something else, but that would probably necessitate whole new Kii model.

 

Start saving your money for the trade-up...:)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Gavin1977Sorry, I missed your first note. Sound stage depth and imaging are excellent. A little different dispersion characteristics then the LS50, i.e. a bit narrower beamwidth due to the ribbon polar pattern, but other that, a very wide sweetspot. Of course, there is no comparison to bottom end extension or SPL output, the Purifi's are in a league of there own.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...