IGNORED

Perception of vertically separated sound sources in the median plane

semente

Just now, Jud said:

Looks interesting. On a slightly different note, I was listening to a Roger Waters track last night, and some of the music sounded as if it was coming from behind me to the right. I don't have a solid wall behind me (a kitchen island about 10 feet back, kitchen cabinets and counters about 10 feet further back), and only the two stereo speakers.

That's QSound processing.

48 minutes ago, SJK said:

Are you saying that a developed soundstage will only have a horizontal component? I would expect that a soundstage would have three dimensions. 

I'm saying that stereo recording doesn't capture height information, and neither does stereo playback reproduce it. What you or anyone else expects is neither here nor there.

29 minutes ago, semente said:

I was referring to classical music. Never watched Pink Floyd live but those gigs I went to had all sound coming from the sides of the stage, perhaps from the center as well in football stadiums, I can't recall.

Pink Floyd did put speakers in unusual locations around the venues, or so I've read. Some of their albums are available in surround mixes, which IMO works well. I guess it's no accident that Roger Waters later dabbled with QSound.

23 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That is not correct, as can be seen on the bottom left of the front cover of the attached from Chesky Records

I suspect that they know far more about Binaural, and recording in general,  than the vast majority of members here.

I'm disappointed with the Chesky binaural recordings. Their earlier method gave better results.