IGNORED

Summus Server from Euphony Audio

bobfa

I am intrigued by the Summus, and also have some questions. I've heard a demo of the Euphony software, and it's not bad. I prefer the Roon GUI over the Euphony, but that may be personal taste as much as anything; Roon has certainly had more time to mature, and community support to facilitate that evolution. The circumstances of the demonstration were not set up for comparative listening, but I take at face value the assessments of reviewers who state that Euphony has better SQ than Roon. I'm certainly willing to believe that's possible. Right now, I run a Nucleus+ and am extremely pleased with it. All the files are on an NAS in a separate part of the house isolated via fiber, the Nucleus+ is dead quiet, and it is also nicely isolated from the multiple DACs it serves. It appears to me that the Summus [like the Euphony Zenion PTS before it] must be connected to a single DAC over USB, is that correct? I won't call that a non-starter for me, but I sure do see it as a disadvantage. I am not a USB fan, even when "done right," and I am not at all sure I want another box, however compact, in the headphone rack or speaker system cabinetry. I went that route with various Sonore and Mivera streamers in the past and, while I have nothing but high praise for both, the [inherent] lack of flexibility in a USB streamer is very frustrating. Summus may be fantastic, but I do wish it had an all-network capability/option.

All the toys are in my profile.