IGNORED

Analog Cable Help

Hi Guys - I’m looking for help from everyone, whether objective, subjective, or a combination of the two. 

I need to run a balanced interconnect 30 feet, under my floor. It will lay right next to and probably will touch a Romex 12AWG power cable under the floor.  The cable will connect from DACs and Preamps to amplifiers.

I’m a fan of Transparent Cables but a 30 foot balanced cable is going to be too costly. I looked around at Redco to create my own cable but the options were hard to understand. 

Question: Can you guys give me recommendations for this cable?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Star quad here as well, seems reasonably priced: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a12.html

Edit: Oh, balanced. They have that also, just have a look around their site.

Thanks Jud. Looks like I can order a 30' Gotham GAC-4, same as on the Ghent Audio site, with enhanced RF shielded Neutrik connectors for $78 from Redco. A 10' version from Ghent is $125 (likely $375 for 30'). I like to support HiFi manufacturers, but the price difference of roughly $300 per cable is a bit too large. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Star quad here as well, seems reasonably priced: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a12.html

Edit: Oh, balanced. They have that also, just have a look around their site.

I went to the Gotham site and found four different versions of the GAC-4 cable Looks like Ghent has the "best" one, so I'm not sure the price difference wasn't warranted. Still searching. 

I may be able to run this conduit. If, the XLR connector will fit through it. 

1 in. x 50 ft. Galflex RWS Metallic Armored Steel Flexible Conduit

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-1-in-x-50-ft-Galflex-RWS-Metallic-Armored-Steel-Flexible-Conduit-55091601/202935698

southwire-conduit-55091601-64_1000.jpg

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Chris

I suspect that it may be very hard to get anything other than a cable without connectors through that.

Do you know of anyone locally capable of fitting crimp type connectors after you get the cable through ?

Alex

True, I'm not sure how to pull the cable through that many feet. 

I'm sure I can find someone local, but I hate to call them over for a 30 second job like this. 

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Looks like you found a great sweet spot of quality and price.

I think so. I did some research after everyone offered such good advice and came to the conclusion that this cable is a really good one and that I can benefit from its shielding. 

Check out this PDF about the cables. A good read. 

UltraWhtPaper.docx.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

take pics & videos - sound track also (we want to hear how Minnesotans curse)

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well gosh darn it anyway!!

Just finished up. There were a few f-bombs when I nearly sliced my fiber cables that run form the basement to the upstairs in half.

Photos to come. 

25 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

"without any other cables near it" - good idea

you need a sharper hole saw if it smoked; a nice cordless drill is good too

I had thought the floor was finished - are the holes in the listening room or next to  it?

Floor in the listening room is finished. Floor in the crawl spaces on each side of the listening room is unfinished. 

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

this site needs a cordless tools debate!

(honestly, the newer Li batteries are much better than even NiMH ones - try a cordless drill and see how you like it)

Such a subjective response without any statistical data to back your opinion. As if I can't have an opinion unless I've tried it, blah blah blah.

Only joking. I know we all have good senses of humor and need to exercise them once in a while :~)

• 2 weeks later...