IGNORED

Simple power strips/conditioners?

We are converting part of our garage into a guest bedroom and den, so I have been assembling a small audio/video system.  I have four outlets on the wall where I am going to put the system, but that's not nearly enough to connect everything that needs power.  (I figure that I have to connect a tv, a cable box, a Blu-ray player, an integrated amp/DAC, and three, maybe four or five, switching and linear power supplies for ultraRendu, Logitech Harmony hub, FMC's, and small network switch, all contained in a small cabinet.)  

Something like a PS Audio Dectet would seem to provide connectivity without much sound degradation, but it costs $500 and I don't want to spend that much if there are cheaper non-destructive alternatives available.  This, at $169, is at a more attractive price, but there's nothing in the audio press or forums about it:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Power-Filter-Conditioner-Protector/dp/B00XWL2VVK/ref=sr_1_17?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Kavh-e95gIVEdRkCh3KeQ6KEAAYASAAEgJrevD_BwE&hvadid=214110138900&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031961&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=666541021370743666&hvtargid=kwd-337252635778&hydadcr=18913_9698567&keywords=audiophile+power+strip&qid=1576624276&sr=8-17

Anyone have experience with this or anything remotely like it?   

Other low-end alternatives are from Pangaea, Furman, Belkin, and Audioquest, but not all of them are intended specifically for audio-video.  Some also include power conditioning, but, candidly, I am skeptical of the quality of conditioning in this price range and might just prefer a multi-outlet device that doesn't add its own noise.  (The power from the wall is from rooftop solar most of the year and is over new wiring, so it should be pretty clean to start.)

What are you folks using?  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Tripp-Lite - many options for power conditioning (not saying you need it or don't*) get a Topaz or go Balanced

* but I will point out that the DC>AC convertors used in PV are notorious for putting hash on the line...

you likely do most listening at night, so the PV will be off at that time

do you have an automated switch that connects to utility power when the PV is off?

10 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Tripp-Lite - many options for power conditioning (not saying you need it or don't*) get a Topaz or go Balanced

* but I will point out that the DC>AC convertors used in PV are notorious for putting hash on the line...

you likely do most listening at night, so the PV will be off at that time

do you have an automated switch that connects to utility power when the PV is off?

Thank you, Ralf.  I will look at the Tripp stuff.  I didn’t realize that it’s a consumer application product line.  Thought it primarily is for office IT use.  

Hmmm. We have two massive, industrial-grade inverters alongside the house.  Hadn’t heard they are noisy, but, if they are, that suggests that this bedroom system deserves power conditioning like my main one has.

I am retired, so probably will listen as much or more in the daytime.  

We get power from the grid when the PV isn’t producing everything we use.  (No PV storage batteries in this system.)

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

5 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

If your building the room (your first part of the sentence) why not install several 2 gang boxes with Hubbell-Wiring HBL8300I receptacles. Looks like your making it harder than need be. If the power is clean, what is the concern from the inverter?

MAK

Good call.  I should have asked for more receptacles, but the electrician long ago came and went, and my contractor has sealed and painted the walls.

I did have enough foresight to add a recessed receptacle high enough on the wall that is ideal if I mount the TV rather than just use it on a stand.  Thinking about that now, I probably can use that receptacle for the TV even if it ends up being used on its stand.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

just try the most demanding music on PV power & on utility power to compare - do it blind (use wife) and as close together in time as you can

Amazon has Tripp-Lites - get the simple ones with no MOVs inside

The fast response of an MOV can often prevent severe flashover such as across the Primary and secondary of a transformer, but these types of protection should be replaced occasionally, especially in storm prone areas.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2019 at 12:41 AM, Mike Rubin said:

What are you folks using?  

In the residential area I live there's a power transformer only a few hundred yards away feeding my outlets, and by all accounts the power here is very clean (confirmed by the local electrical power "authorities") and the voltage number is measured to where it should be (i.e.: 230 V/AC). I tried out an isolation transformer over my Media Server (where I lived previously its implementation was successful), but it resulted in a unnatural "flavor" of the sound that quickly led me to dismiss it. I use no additional power or LAN conditioners, or otherwise, as I feel them to somehow intervene unfavorably with the sound. I take it this only points back to the power in my residential area being quite clean; don't fix it if it ain't broken. 

In regards to power strips, I don't use any. Had I had a bunch of wall power outlets placed directly behind my stereo equipment the omission of a power strip would've been obvious. I don't have that luxury, though, so instead of a power strip I connect the bare conductor ends of my DIY power cables (lead to lead wire; return to return wire, and ground to ground if such is used) in screw terminals, so that the respective conductor ends meet each other directly with no in-between connectors and alloys, all safely mounted in a small box covering them. My solid core pure copper power cables are twisted to also create an electrical shield of sorts, so no additional shielding is used around them. 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Sorry if this sounds like a sales plug, but for the type of A/V system you talked about here by the OP, I use AudioQuest PowerQuest conditioners....   there are two models which are $200 (PowerQuest 2) and $300 (PowerQuest 3) - these are designed for A/V systems. I’m using one my self in a TV/Audio set-up (Samsung Plasma, Rega Brio, Cable box, iFi Audio DAC, Apple TV, Oppo Blu Ray, with either Ryan or Mark Audio speakers) and it delivers good sound and video. I have a good friend using PQ2 on his simple Plasma TV/Sonus SoundBar set-up and he tells me the picture quality and sound are better with it over a generic outlet filter/surge strip. The AQ units are designed by AQ’s Garth Powell who designed the buck buck Niagara stuff (which is really good IMO).

Another cost effective device are the little iFi Audio AC iPurifiers... ($90 each IIRC) plug a couple of these into a basic though good quality outlet strip (with no filter/surge crap) or DIY your own. These do work... have even heard improvements when plugged into outlets of a old Running Springs power conditioner.

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

This one is a long time favorite of Naim fans and priced decently.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-L10320-Power-Strip-outlets/dp/B00DWIL16O

The original legendary Wiremold power strip discovered by Naim Audio North America’s Chris Koster for use in a Naim system. Suited to both Naim’s passive and active systems as well as other high quality component systems due to the close spacing, size and number of outlets. As a result the power outlet connections for all system components are in almost identical electrical, magnetic and acoustic planes even at high frequencies.

Gentlemen, thanks for the suggestions.

Rich, I considered the AudioQuests, but there are a bunch of negative accounts of their effects on sound quality at various dealer sites, so I haven't jumped on them. I will look at them more closely.

Kimo, I hadn't hear of Wiremold products before.  I'll look into them. 

1 hour ago, phusis said:

In regards to power strips, I don't use any. Had I had a bunch of wall power outlets placed directly behind my stereo equipment the omission of a power strip would've been obvious. I don't have that luxury, though, so instead of a power strip I connect the bare conductor ends of my DIY power cables (lead to lead wire; return to return wire, and ground to ground if such is used) in screw terminals, so that the respective conductor ends meet each other directly with no in-between connectors and alloys, all safely mounted in a small box covering them. My solid core pure copper power cables are twisted to also create an electrical shield of sorts, so no additional shielding is used around them. 

Many 230VAC countries have strict regulations about this kind of thing.

In the event of a fire, even though not due to this, you could find that your Insurance company refuses to pay your claim.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, RichB said:

Sorry if this sounds like a sales plug, but for the type of A/V system you talked about here by the OP, I use AudioQuest PowerQuest conditioners....   there are two models which are $200 (PowerQuest 2) and $300 (PowerQuest 3) - these are designed for A/V systems. I’m using one my self in a TV/Audio set-up (Samsung Plasma, Rega Brio, Cable box, iFi Audio DAC, Apple TV, Oppo Blu Ray, with either Ryan or Mark Audio speakers) and it delivers good sound and video. I have a good friend using PQ2 on his simple Plasma TV/Sonus SoundBar set-up and he tells me the picture quality and sound are better with it over a generic outlet filter/surge strip. The AQ units are designed by AQ’s Garth Powell who designed the buck buck Niagara stuff (which is really good IMO).

Another cost effective device are the little iFi Audio AC iPurifiers... ($90 each IIRC) plug a couple of these into a basic though good quality outlet strip (with no filter/surge crap) or DIY your own. These do work... have even heard improvements when plugged into outlets of a old Running Springs power conditioner.

Yes the post does sound like a sales pitch, so will most likely receive a warning in due course.

i find that a lot of the cheaper power conditioners have too many artefacts and affects the sound negatively, the Monster comes to mind, hey it protects a printer really great.

The simplest and best is a Topaz transformer with plain Jane outlets. This keeps the earth in one spot or minimal voltage differences , a good start for star earthing.

The Topaz will reduce many k V spikes to nothing, the best HV suppression is best placed at the main panel though, that does the whole house as a bonus.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

8 hours ago, phusis said:

In the residential area I live there's a power transformer only a few hundred yards away feeding my outlets, and by all accounts the power here is very clean (confirmed by the local electrical power "authorities") and the voltage number is measured to where it should be (i.e.: 230 V/AC). I tried out an isolation transformer over my Media Server (where I lived previously its implementation was successful), but it resulted in a unnatural "flavor" of the sound that quickly led me to dismiss it. I use no additional power or LAN conditioners, or otherwise, as I feel them to somehow intervene unfavorably with the sound. I take it this only points back to the power in my residential area being quite clean; don't fix it if it ain't broken. 

On the face of this description, the intent is very good, but unless the cables are clamped to avoid movement and a pile of other rules, the installation doesn’t comply in any country.

There are ways around to wire as intended, but needs some professional attention.

Wiremold L10320, but looks like somebody beat me to it. You can easily add a better plug to it. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

10 hours ago, sandyk said:

Many 230VAC countries have strict regulations about this kind of thing.

In the event of a fire, even though not due to this, you could find that your Insurance company refuses to pay your claim.

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

On the face of this description, the intent is very good, but unless the cables are clamped to avoid movement and a pile of other rules, the installation doesn’t comply in any country.

There are ways around to wire as intended, but needs some professional attention.

Sorry if implicitly I came across with a "You need to try this out at home, folks"-attitude, because what you both point out is valid; such an installation, without professional assistance, would likely be deemed illegal. My only real concern though using this rustic method of power cable connection isn't rooted in its potential hazard, but rather a potential insurance issue in the event of a fire, even though that fire wouldn't have been initiated by said installation. Suffice to say that my actual implementation of this connection method feels absolutely sound, also being that an electrical technician/radio mechanic friend has overseen it (and uses it himself).

What I am sick and tired of is the sought (monetary) hierarchy not only of accessories, where if you really want the sonically best connection there's this and that uber-expensive solution of strips, conditioners, connectors etc. that is most if not any manufacturers wet dream to promote and live of - gimme a effing break. Perhaps there's a middle ground to be found here with a bare bones, sturdy and low(er) cost power strip with no filtering that would to do job without perceivable loss of SQ compared at least to my own DIY solution. I've actually thought about that for a while now, and should any of you guys be aware of such and can recommend it, I'm all ears. 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

On 12/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, sandyk said:

The fast response of an MOV can often prevent severe flashover such as across the Primary and secondary of a transformer, but these types of protection should be replaced occasionally, especially in storm prone areas.

Ah just thought about a MOV that doesn't have enough rating and ends up creating more carbon.  

7 hours ago, phusis said:

What I am sick and tired of is the sought (monetary) hierarchy not only of accessories, where if you really want the sonically best connection there's this and that uber-expensive solution of strips, conditioners, connectors etc. that is most if not any manufacturers wet dream to promote and live of - gimme a effing break. Perhaps there's a middle ground to be found here with a bare bones, sturdy and low(er) cost power strip with no filtering that would to do job without perceivable loss of SQ compared at least to my own DIY solution. I've actually thought about that for a while now, and should any of you guys be aware of such and can recommend it, I'm all ears. 

The audio community lives and breathes on a fascination with Goldberg add-ons - why actually solve an issue, when you can have endless fun and entertainment, from playing with a huge array of shiny bits and pieces? 😉

Solid ground, rather than just middle ground, should be the goal - be able to plug your gear into any socket, no matter how crappy, and have the system run on mains power as dirty and noisy as the electricity producers can muster - with zero audible impact. Otherwise, we are still living as if in the early years of aviation - go outside, feel the wind on your finger ... "Sorry, folks, no flights today! ... it's not calm enough .. "

9 hours ago, phusis said:

Sorry if implicitly I came across with a "You need to try this out at home, folks"-attitude, because what you both point out is valid; such an installation, without professional assistance, would likely be deemed illegal. My only real concern though using this rustic method of power cable connection isn't rooted in its potential hazard, but rather a potential insurance issue in the event of a fire, even though that fire wouldn't have been initiated by said installation. Suffice to say that my actual implementation of this connection method feels absolutely sound, also being that an electrical technician/radio mechanic friend has overseen it (and uses it himself).

At the moment I have the parts to make a power spider, essentially one cable in and multiple outs terminated with IEC 320 connectors. Inside the spider is a set of 120-0-120 and 60-0-60 busbars and most important the earth or ground busbar. This keeps the distance of the star point short for all grounds to control ground loops. 
Outgoing cables are secured with glands, so there’s no intermediate connections. In essence this is what you have in a different location. My gear is spread across 4m of cabling distance, so having the distribution in a central location assists.

On 1/26/2020 at 6:29 PM, AudioDoctor said:

I use these, zero MOVs inside and they work well.

https://zerosurge-com.3dcartstores.com/8R15W-I_p_17.html

Yes, I have ZeroSurge also and am very happy (no MOVs).

Ralf has two good suggestions, avoiding MOVs and avoiding home inverters such as are used with PV. Only the cleanest/most expensive of these are comparable in harmonic distortion to utility power that must have very good numbers there by regulation. Much more distortion comes from inside the home than outside anyway, so you’d likely want some sort of power conditioning regardless.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Yes, I have ZeroSurge also and am very happy (no MOVs).

Ralf has two good suggestions, avoiding MOVs and avoiding home inverters such as are used with PV. Only the cleanest/most expensive of these are comparable in harmonic distortion to utility power that must have very good numbers there by regulation. Much more distortion comes from inside the home than outside anyway, so you’d likely want some sort of power conditioning regardless.

Jud, that’s the part they don’t tell you about solar.  

I am of two minds about MOV’s.  When the local utility turned off the power a few years ago to deal with some tree-powerline interaction, there was a massive surge when it came back online.  I had a cheapish conditioner with MOV’s sacrifice itself to save equipment in my upstairs bedroom TV cabinet, but my expensive non-MOV conditioner took a massive dump along with the expensive (by my standards) equipment it failed to protect.  Ironically, my integrated amp in that system was not connected to that conditioner and it came through without damage. 

The unit you recommended is at an appropriate price point for the system it will protect. I am ordering one.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

On 12/18/2019 at 12:23 AM, Ralf11 said:

just try the most demanding music on PV power & on utility power to compare - do it blind (use wife) and as close together in time as you can

Amazon has Tripp-Lites - get the simple ones with no MOVs inside

Curious as to why no MOV's?