IGNORED

Forum Decorum | Feedback Please

7 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Sounds like no matter what, I agree with your general attitude..  The question is?  How much to actually implement, and how much to 'threaten'?

I agree in general with what John has said in his post, but also wonder about the need for Section 3 if members follow the spirit of the changes.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

In theory, this is a great idea. But the reality would be quite different. I’m specifically talking here about the two proposals where subjective and objective threads are enjoined from having unwanted comments. This would encourage, in my estimation, threads that are merely “preaching to the choir”. Can you imagine, for instance a Presidential debate where everyone on either side of the political line agree 100% of the time on every issue? Actually this would apply to any debate. It would be incredibly boring. No one would watch such a debate, because it wouldn’t be a debate, it would just be a mutual admiration society, and who would want to read that? No; the essence of a forum such as this one is the free exchange of ideas. Without that, this forum would become lifeless, devoid of interest, and totally stagnate.

I used to contribute to a moderated audio forum on Usenet, and I found it to be a pain in the neck. The reason is that the moderators saw themselves as little Napoleons, with absolute power over what got posted. This power was colored by the moderator’s own ideas of what they, themselves wanted to see posted. They heavily censored those posters who’s point of view with which they did not agree, and they allowed practically anything to get posted from those contributors with whom they did agree. I’m all for a forum that is “a kinder, gentler forum”. But I would hate to see it turn into a moderated forum where every post had to be approved before showing up on the thread. Not only is that a recipe for stagnation,

censorship and partisanism, but more importantly, it’s a recipe for a downward spiral into boredom. My advice is to tread here carefully.

HI George - Fortunately, there is a proposal for threads containing all sides of issues as well and this isn't a Presidential debate. There's a reason why cable news networks skew toward one side or the other, people have preference and like to listen to others who think along the same lines. Same with genres. People don't want a Country track mixed into the Classical playlist. 

That said, I hear what you're saying and hope, if we go down this route, that most posts will contain information from everyone. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

In theory, this is a great idea. But the reality would be quite different. I’m specifically talking here about the two proposals where subjective and objective threads are enjoined from having unwanted comments. This would encourage, in my estimation, threads that are merely “preaching to the choir”. Can you imagine, for instance a Presidential debate where everyone on either side of the political line agree 100% of the time on every issue? Actually this would apply to any debate. It would be incredibly boring. No one would watch such a debate, because it wouldn’t be a debate, it would just be a mutual admiration society, and who would want to read that? No; the essence of a forum such as this one is the free exchange of ideas. Without that, this forum would become lifeless, devoid of interest, and totally stagnate.

I used to contribute to a moderated audio forum on Usenet, and I found it to be a pain in the neck. The reason is that the moderators saw themselves as little Napoleons, with absolute power over what got posted. This power was colored by the moderator’s own ideas of what they, themselves wanted to see posted. They heavily censored those posters who’s point of view with which they did not agree, and they allowed practically anything to get posted from those contributors with whom they did agree. I’m all for a forum that is “a kinder, gentler forum”. But I would hate to see it turn into a moderated forum where every post had to be approved before showing up on the thread. Not only is that a recipe for stagnation,

censorship and partisanism, but more importantly, it’s a recipe for a downward spiral into boredom. My advice is to tread here carefully.

A thoughtful post , very well stated George

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I agree in general with what John has said in his post, but also wonder about the need for Section 3 if members follow the spirit of the changes.

Hi Alex - I think this is a belt and suspenders type of thing and it makes sure there is a place for everything here on AS. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Alex - I think this is a belt and suspenders type of thing and it makes sure there is a place for everything here on AS. 

Chris

I am also concerned about what George has said about Preaching to the Choir type threads.

By their very nature, the vast majority of them are not destined to become more than short threads before ending up diverging way off topic to keep them alive. 

There is nothing stopping members from starting a Blog on any subject .

Alex.

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

A while ago, I suggested adding an Echo Chamber section where disagreeing with the OP of any thread would be forbidden. Why not do it and see what happens?

I believe we got to where we are because of people pestering others with frequent comments in many threads. If everyone was polite and respectful we'd have no need for any of this. 

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Chris

I am also concerned about what George has said about Preaching to the Choir type threads.

By their very nature, the vast majority of them are not destined to become more than short threads before ending up diverging way off topic to keep them alive. 

There is nothing stopping members from starting a Blog on any subject .

Alex.

The data doesn't backup your concern. 

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

"Rajiv's massive thread" begs to differ.

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

A while ago, I suggested adding an Echo Chamber section where disagreeing with the OP of any thread would be forbidden. Why not do it and see what happens?

That is complete Censorship, and there is nothing stopping member writing technical treatises etc. in a Blog.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

"Rajiv's massive thread" begs to differ.

Yes, as does the MQA thread for all intents and purposes

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Snowflake Sanctuary instead.

This kind of remark is exactly why we have so many problems already .

5 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

While I hear what you are saying, and agree that when a subject is controversial, people like to hear their side of the controversy supported by some authority such as a news network. But that’s because these news people are thought of as “authorities” and people gather comfort from knowing that there are authorities on the subject that agree with them. This is a forum of peers, and while many contributors here are authorities in their respective fields, they do not post here from any exalted position. They’re merely fellow enthusiasts and can be debated with. You and I can’t debate the celebrities on the cable news channels, so instead, we pick the cable news channel that best represents our point of view. That doesn’t apply on a public Internet forum. And, finally, my use of a presidential debate was not intended as parallel example to this situation, but rather to express the point that what makes these debates interesting is that the participants have, often, wildly different points of view on the same subjects, and the way each responds to the other’s ideas is what makes them fascinating and entertaining.

Thanks George. 

Seems, to me, that OPs are part of the problem...not specific enough and they post and disappear.  Makes it easy for thing to go off the rails.  Perhaps if the OP does not reappear within 24 hours the thread is locked.  

Personally I have no problem replying "Not interested" any number of times.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers