IGNORED

Forum Decorum | Feedback Please

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

what sets this site apart is that engineers and scientists post here

there are lots and lots of sites where crazy notions are posted with the veneer of science slapped over them - if CC wants to sanitize his site form science and make it safe for any sort of irrational claim he can, but IMO it would lose its value

the problem lies with people who so badly want a free fire zone for those types of claims (maybe because no one in the real world will listen to them)

There is no current proposal to sanitize the site. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

Under Chris's proposals you can post you views to forum XXXXXXXXXXXX, and if people find the discussions there more helpful and interesting than the more subjective discussion in the other forums, then forum XXXXXXXXXXXX will expand.

Yes, this is my free market type of approach. Separate the discussions that lead to bickering and problems. Both discussions can succeed this way and they should thrive if there's interest. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

The current AS platform allows topic moderators to both DELETE and HIDE posts. The former appears permanent (I don't know what the code actually does), while the latter is reversible, subject to appeal. In the spirit of checks and balances, OP moderators should perhaps only be allowed to HIDE posts, leaving DELETE decisions to Chris.

HIDE still serves the purpose of removing the post from view, but does preserve the content.

Delete puts the posts in a 30 day trash before removing them. I have to go through the trash to retrieve them rather than a moderator. hide is much better. 

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

In theory, this is a great idea. But the reality would be quite different. I’m specifically talking here about the two proposals where subjective and objective threads are enjoined from having unwanted comments. This would encourage, in my estimation, threads that are merely “preaching to the choir”. Can you imagine, for instance a Presidential debate where everyone on either side of the political line agree 100% of the time on every issue? Actually this would apply to any debate. It would be incredibly boring. No one would watch such a debate, because it wouldn’t be a debate, it would just be a mutual admiration society, and who would want to read that? No; the essence of a forum such as this one is the free exchange of ideas. Without that, this forum would become lifeless, devoid of interest, and totally stagnate.

I used to contribute to a moderated audio forum on Usenet, and I found it to be a pain in the neck. The reason is that the moderators saw themselves as little Napoleons, with absolute power over what got posted. This power was colored by the moderator’s own ideas of what they, themselves wanted to see posted. They heavily censored those posters who’s point of view with which they did not agree, and they allowed practically anything to get posted from those contributors with whom they did agree. I’m all for a forum that is “a kinder, gentler forum”. But I would hate to see it turn into a moderated forum where every post had to be approved before showing up on the thread. Not only is that a recipe for stagnation,

censorship and partisanism, but more importantly, it’s a recipe for a downward spiral into boredom. My advice is to tread here carefully.

HI George - Fortunately, there is a proposal for threads containing all sides of issues as well and this isn't a Presidential debate. There's a reason why cable news networks skew toward one side or the other, people have preference and like to listen to others who think along the same lines. Same with genres. People don't want a Country track mixed into the Classical playlist. 

That said, I hear what you're saying and hope, if we go down this route, that most posts will contain information from everyone. 

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I agree in general with what John has said in his post, but also wonder about the need for Section 3 if members follow the spirit of the changes.

Hi Alex - I think this is a belt and suspenders type of thing and it makes sure there is a place for everything here on AS. 

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

A while ago, I suggested adding an Echo Chamber section where disagreeing with the OP of any thread would be forbidden. Why not do it and see what happens?

I believe we got to where we are because of people pestering others with frequent comments in many threads. If everyone was polite and respectful we'd have no need for any of this. 

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Chris

I am also concerned about what George has said about Preaching to the Choir type threads.

By their very nature, the vast majority of them are not destined to become more than short threads before ending up diverging way off topic to keep them alive. 

There is nothing stopping members from starting a Blog on any subject .

Alex.

The data doesn't backup your concern. 

5 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

While I hear what you are saying, and agree that when a subject is controversial, people like to hear their side of the controversy supported by some authority such as a news network. But that’s because these news people are thought of as “authorities” and people gather comfort from knowing that there are authorities on the subject that agree with them. This is a forum of peers, and while many contributors here are authorities in their respective fields, they do not post here from any exalted position. They’re merely fellow enthusiasts and can be debated with. You and I can’t debate the celebrities on the cable news channels, so instead, we pick the cable news channel that best represents our point of view. That doesn’t apply on a public Internet forum. And, finally, my use of a presidential debate was not intended as parallel example to this situation, but rather to express the point that what makes these debates interesting is that the participants have, often, wildly different points of view on the same subjects, and the way each responds to the other’s ideas is what makes them fascinating and entertaining.

Thanks George. 

I know we’ve been down this road in the past, but perhaps adding moderators to hide comments that are clearly in violation of forum rules and clearly against the spirit of discussion in a specific thread, is necessary. 

If posts that add nothing and will likely lead to endless arguments are hidden, we may avoid more aggressive methods. 

3 minutes ago, photonman said:

Set the rules and enforce them with your proposed item 9.  I would avoid too many rules that require granular management by yourself or your designees.  Everyone here knows how to conduct themselves and should not need too many do's and do-not's.  To help manage the site can you assign additional forum moderators (after an exhaustive selection process of course) perhaps from different world time zones so the site has good 7/24 moderator coverage so you don't wake up to site crisis.

Wow, what timing. 

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Also, I hope current forum users, regardless of their country of residence, will be allowed the rights that residents of EU states have -- including the right to be forgotten, and to have their blogs, photographs, and identifying information deleted.

This is an important but off topic issue. For now I’m only following US law. There are too many international laws which no doubt contradict each other. When Iran says it’s citizens must like mid-fi, I’ll kindly ignore it (extreme example I know). 

1 minute ago, John Dyson said:

I don't understand intensity on the forum -- I have invested a LOT of time into audio stuff, but don't get intensely angry when people disagree...  Why the rancor, why the intensity?   This is NOT religion, but at most a very serious hobby -- or for some, a vocation.

If someone is nice enough to provide the resources for this forum, than we visitors and especially those who contribute, should treat the forum, the providers and each other with some level of mutual respect, and maybe even kindness.

I *almost* feel like I am visiting someones house when participating in the forum -- and it seems a good idea to be happy about the welcome.

Vehement disagrement seems to become too personal.  Geesh, I have private discussions with someone where we are on edge of disagreement much of the time, but it is not DISAGREEABLE, because there is a modicum of mutual respect.  It is not helpful to have excess negative emotions.

Proving side A or side B is the 'correct side' is sometimes not going to happen.  Mutual respect allows agreement to disagree, or to accept that there are areas where there can be some disagreement.  Sometimes, eventually there can be a movement towards agreement -- but it shouldn't need to be a 'crusade' to convince when it isn't really necessary.   BTW -- I am NOT a flower child and can be aggressive in the european sense (which isn't a good thing) -- but there are situations where being very assertive is a good thing.

Remotely, over a forum like this, it is seldom beneficial to be very aggressively assertive.  Sometimes best to recognize that there are things and people that none of us can control.   There are actually people who think differently -- and slightly different reality.  Doesn't make it bad -- just different.

John

Agree 100%.

There has to be an underlying reason for the intensity.