IGNORED

Forum Decorum | Feedback Please

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

I am also concerned about what George has said about Preaching to the Choir type threads.

By their very nature, the vast majority of them are not destined to become more than short threads before ending up diverging way off topic to keep them alive. 

"Rajiv's massive thread" begs to differ.

1 hour ago, SoundAndMotion said:

Well you didn't go to my university, where Bio and Chem majors took 1 year - a special version with some, but not too much, calculus. Physics and Engineering majors took the first 4 quarters (a year and third) together in the calculus-intensive courses.

As someone who took 4 years of calculus-intensive physics, I can tell you how important simplifying assumptions are to introduce topics (frictionless surfaces, infinite planes, pure vacuums), but how limiting it is to stick with them.

It is often useful to simplify a problem, provided the approximations are "safe." For example, suppose someone claims their car does 0-60 in two seconds. If we assume ideal conditions of zero friction and constant maximum engine output, and the calculated acceleration for the mass of the car still gives us a 0-60 figure of five seconds, we can be certain that the real-world result will not be any better.