IGNORED

Question about power supplies

My control PC has a mini-ATX motherboard that takes 12V via a single DC plug.

As I do not have a spare 12V linear PSU, but I do have a spare HDPlex 400W DC to ATX converter, would it be possible to use a 19V linear PSU feeding into the HDPlex and use the 12V output of the HDPlex to feed the PC?

And if yes, would there be any SQ benefits compared to a direct 12V feed?

audio system

3 hours ago, mansr said:

The mini-ATX board almost certainly has a smattering of switching regulators on it to provide the much lower voltages required by the various chips. I too doubt the external 12 V supply has much (or any) effect on the sound quality.

To be clear: I was wondering about any difference between

(1) 12v LPS => motherboard (direct)

and

(2) 19V LPS => HDPlex 400W DC-ATX converter EPS connection => 12V => motherboard

audio system

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

and

(2) 19V LPS => HDPlex 400W DC-ATX converter EPS connection => 12V => motherboard

As STC said, the motherboard doesn't care as long as it gets sufficient power. Nothing will break, so try it and see if you find any improvement.

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

and

Well, you can't get from 19V to 12V without a switch mode buck regulator in the DC-ATX.  So option 1 is likely going to sound better if your 19V LPS and 12V LPS are the same quality.

And despite the switch mode regulators on the motherboard, a good quality LPS still makes a significant difference in sound quality in my experience.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

Well, you can't get from 19V to 12V without a switch mode buck regulator in the DC-ATX.  So option 1 is likely going to sound better if your 19V LPS and 12V LPS are the same quality.

And despite the switch mode regulators on the motherboard, a good quality LPS still makes a significant difference in my experience.

In that case (and rickca's claim seems to make sense), I guess I will not even try.

audio system

2 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

In that case (and rickca's claim seems to make sense), I guess I will not even try.

Someone is sure to come back and say I'm clueless. 😋

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, rickca said:

And despite the switch mode regulators on the motherboard, a good quality LPS still makes a significant difference in sound quality in my experience.

Agreed.

The John Swenson designed replacement Linear PSU for the Mac Mini was  very well received by hundreds of members , with virtually all purchasers, not just from  this forum , reporting a marked improvement in SQ. No, it wasn't expectation Bias either !!!

It also had a Kelvin Sensor option which resulted in a highly stable output voltage under load, as well as a Linear Fan Controller PCB which smoothed the onboard PWM Fan Controller output to eliminate the radiated RF/EMI harmonics  from the basically 25kHz square wave type output of the PWM controller which was found by many to result in a further audible improvement .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, rickca said:

Someone is sure to come back and say I'm clueless. 😋

Not me. I agree with you, and several years ago I was warned for using that very word.

How times change .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

@sandyk

@rickca

@mansr

SainSmart MDP-XP Mini Digital Programmable Power Supply Set with 30V/5A 90W 2.4G Wireless Connection, 2.8 Inch TFT Screen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VVJT496/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_05lbEb6NQ101V

I was looking at this as a feeder power supply and wondered what you thought?Looks clean for a lab supply low ripple, has a scope to start learning or at least measuring  but it is small compact with the ability to stack supplys as add ons?

5 supplies 1 screen all wifi connected?

If anything just some reading over the break and would it be useful practical for the non EE to use in our rigs?

Cheaper available than amazon but for you guys doing multiple supplys on ATX rails, SSDs.

Just a thought..

Me neither, just saw a potential of 5 clean adjustable supplies with the bonus of a scope on a small footprint.

At non audiophile prices... was hopeful it was a Benefit to some of us...just wanted an experts  view point. Atx, Nucs, feeding another supply or other applications?

Not even for me, i thought of this thread when i saw it...

Cheers Rick have a lovely new year..

To be honest I am not sure Mansr but looked better than a cheaply made LPS and can be fed from a laptop battery. Its the adjustment to many different voltages with 'unverified' decent  specs.  I thought place before a NUC is my only user case. 

German guy on youtube seemed impressed running it through his bench scope.

But  5 + stacked like a few old mobile phones is a hell of a space saver for the spaghettification people have and thought that might be useful with a built in scope. For those you can use it and info for those who can't like me....

I thought it could help in some user cases and ask knowledgeable people like yourself first.... 

Have a great new year Mansr, thanks for replying.