IGNORED

DAC in Oppo UDP-205 Disc Player

On 12/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, Ralf11 said:

I have the Oppo-205 and am curious about the DAC in the unit.

Is it known to be the same as their stand-alone Sonica unit?

How do you prevent the unit from shutting down and going to sleep when only using the DAC?

- the disc player itself often goes into a dysfunctional sleep mode and cannot be made to play a disc without unplugging the AC power cord

I use my Oppo DAC almost exclusively all the time and never had a problem with shutting down/sleeping. Perhaps the manual could help with it.

My LPS came from Clones audio (https://www.clonesaudio.com/product-page/psudp205) Deluxe version: 588 US $. But there are other versions around, notably from  OPPOMOD or Coris. If I am not wrong these two also substitute the Oppo LPS; the Clones just the Oppo SMPS.  While it improved SQ and PQ, I can't comment  on the full result from the upgrade, as I am using a cheap step transformer (from 120 v to 230 v) to feed the Oppo (a connection to the US 120V wall plug, sounded better than going through the transformer at 230v). When ordering the LPS you should choose just one voltage!!!   As I am planing to move this year definitely to a 230V country,  I was obliged to pick the 230V.

Cheers Jorge   

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

The Ethernet input of Oppo 205 is much inferior to the USB input, even when using an optical module and an etherregen. As a DAC I find it superior to the Chord Qutest that I had in my system. I am feeding the Oppo USB with oM + eR + ultra Rendu + isoRengen. I often go to hi-fi expositions and my system has beaten sets over 60000$. That’s my humble opinion. Of course the system uses middle/high end cables and LPS as well as several filters.

Cheers Jorge

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

21 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Jorge - did you do two different tests?  i.e. USB vs. ethernet on the Oppo; and Oppo vs. Chord

How did you do them / with what setup?

Yes Ralph. I had both the Oppo and the Qutest for circa 6 months. I know it’s difficult to believe how such a product as the chord that received so many prizes is inferior to the Oppo. But that’s my opinion in my system. This being said the chord is a very good Dac. Back at that times I test it just with a sonic Transporter i5 and an ultra Rendu. Speakers and cables the same I still have. Concerning the Ethernet I was expecting that feeding it with my Zen and oM + eR would allow me to sell the rest of my connecting USB equipment. That was not the case. Also despite being a wonderful machine, the Zen MKIII USB output is not a match to my uR.  I use one of the Ethernet ports of the Zen with oM + eR + uR + iR connected to my oppo 205 input. I know lot’s of spaghetti. My wife complains but I am happy...

1 minute ago, soares said:

Yes Ralph. I had both the Oppo and the Qutest for circa 6 months. I know it’s difficult to believe how such a product as the chord that received so many prizes is inferior to the Oppo. But that’s my opinion in my system. This being said the chord is a very good Dac. Back at that times I test it just with a sonic Transporter i5 and an ultra Rendu. Speakers and cables the same I still have. Concerning the Ethernet I was expecting that feeding it with my Zen and oM + eR would allow me to sell the rest of my connecting USB equipment. That was not the case. Also despite being a wonderful machine, the Zen MKIII USB out is not a match to my uR.  I use one of the Ethernet ports of the Zen with oM + eR + uR + iR connected to my oppo 205 input. I know lot’s of spaghetti. My wife complains but I am happy...

Some pics...

F8235BD2-E4DC-4559-9CEB-7E1105369B42.jpeg

A84CA0AA-4001-4AC5-8442-03ECE518EF07.jpeg

The LPS from Clones ☺️

CC2F4044-E004-4B44-9194-631CE686B12E.jpeg

06A466CD-5BD3-46C4-8203-D14F88B0F0FD.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Just received my kit Furutech + Mundorf Wire for my OPPO 205.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-BDP-93-95-103D-105D-UDP-203-205-Kit-Furutech-Inlet-R-IEC-Mundorf-Wire-/123213854445

For 150$ you get a notable better SQ in what concerns timbre and stage. After all this years still surprised how cables make such a difference... 🙂

Cheers Jorge

I used the most expensive and sensitive signal & spectrum analyzer in the world. My ears!  Unfortunately data is encrypted for everyone else but me. Plissken 😌 and like-minded will be delighted with my findings!

😂🥳😂

Thank for your message. You’re absolutely right Robert. I could have done myself, but unfortunately I have a pretty busy live. This being said I was surprised to the SQ upgrade I got from it having in mind that I had already upgraded the original SMPS with a LPS from Clones Audio. All in all I am quite satisfied with the results. Cheers Jorge

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Knitman said:

Kal-thank you so much for your reply. The sound keeps dropping. And makes interference sounds. Then it stops working. It is fine when first turned on in the. morning then it starts going wonky, sometimes soon, sometimes after hours. 

Strangely, started having the same problems with a cd player/DAC too. Even the cd itself was dropping sound and that nothing to do with the DAC or the USB's. So my ignorant conclusion was the problem is the Yammy avr(3080).

Now that the OPPO has been removed for my audio man to look at, I have no problems at all with the other items. ALL are connected via a network. I didn't know this! Until when Paul was here and music was playing via the OPPO but the USB wasn't plugged in!

Anyway, he left me with an Audiolab 8300a which matches my Audiolab 8300cdq and I still have the OPPO 105D which can be used as a good DAC too.

The OPPO plays films and SACDs without problems. I don't know enough to know if this means the DACS are fine, but the USB isn't.

You see I had one, and had a severe head injury in May 2014. In 2019 I had 5 more trips to ICU with head injury. The last was Sept 7th last year. Anyway, it brought me back to myself but with a 5 year memory gap. I was horrified to discover I had traded in my OPPO. I have got this one at a price I was willing to pay. From a reputable dealer. They will organize it to be picked up and taken back and they will try and repair but if they can't, they will refund me. It would just rankle me to accept this. 

My husband says the player is good good for films and cds and dvd-a and sacd I should keep it regardless. My audio man has been fixing stuff for 40 years. Also there is OPPO repairs here in the UK. Okay so I know it would cost me money to send it to them, I don't mind that. I just fear if I send it back to Italy I'll never get it back though I know I will get a full refund. 

As usual I have written way too. much. I explained the soun d problem but realise the rest is TMI!

kind regards

Not sure if it will help, but there is this guy ‘coris’ that does some Oppo mods and also repair oppo equipment. If I am not wrong he is based in Norway. You can look for his contact here at audiophile style. From all I heard in several fora he is quite competent and serious. Good luck. Jorge