IGNORED

Multi-bit, but not R2R

Its not correct to say that 'the 154x family was DEM' since really its not a family at all. TDA1543 is a bipolar IC technology DAC without any fancy DEM tricks. TDA1545 has, as you correctly point out, 'continuous calibration'. TDA1547 is an altogether different beast - a 'Bitstream' converter back-end. There is also TDA1549 which looks to be a cut-down variant of TDA1305, one of the first multibit Bitstream devices, also using CC.

Without wanting to get excessively nerdy, there are more differences between 1387 and 1545 than just the digital interface. The output compliance range is a fairly significant one, the facility for increasing the Imax is another. I tried increasing Imax on 1387 and quickly ended up with a dead chip so that's not just a cosmetic difference.

Back to your original post, I agree some more attention in the mainstream for Philips' DAC designs would be welcome - why should R2R capture all the multibit limelight?

• 2 months later...

I'm still trying to figure out what the market is for this chip - the fact that it has an SPI interface tells me its more industrial than audiophile. 'Lab and field instrumentation' it says but what about those applications needs R2R rather than (significantly cheaper) S-D ? Could it be performance inside a control loop, given there's an example shown on the first page? 'Professional audio amp (rack mount)' looks like an outlier.. The maximum supply and reference of 40V suggests some seriously impressive SNRs might be possible, the output noise figure of 7nV/rtHz  implies 1uV in the audio band, signal may go up to 14VRMS,

There's some technical background on the device from one of the guys at TI over here : https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/349809-dac11001-20-bit-2r-precision-dac.html

Seeing as the maximum update rate is around 500kHz (faster if the deglitcher is bypassed but that comes with its own issues) there's room for some oversampling/noise shaping to improve on the quantization noise limit imposed by the part being only 20bits.