IGNORED

Article: A New Listening Room Part Two: Acoustics, Speakers, DSP

Chris, sounds fantastic. Would love to hear your room. 

In my room I installed room treatments and bass traps with advice from GIK. Worked very well. Got rid of all kinds of echo I had in the room and made the sound more focused. 

I'd had some earlier experience with DRC (via TACT and Lyngorf units), so I used the basic version of Auidiolense to get rid of a bass node and further smooth response (which was already pretty good). 

I also just played with a few target curves till I made one I liked. Ended up with flat response till 3000hz and then a gently downward sloping curve after that of a few db till 20khz. Taking off more db (like the -10db slope from 20-20000hz often talked about) sounded "dead" to me. I also used DSP to add in a 0.5db boost from 100-400hz, just because my personal taste says adding in a upper bass - lower mids bump sounds better than perfectly flat response in that area. 

The final result sounds good to me, although I'm sure professional help would improve my results even more. I also haven't been able to figure out how to use the Room Shaper program, although I'd like to see what it would add to the mix.  

I think a lot of audiophiles could do a reasonable job of this on their own. There are also units like Lyngdorf and DEQX which will do it for you (and also replace DACs and/or preamps) if you don't want to fool around with software. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Mercman said:

Congratulations on achieving a wonderful setup for the Alexia 2s.  I have a question; what is the sample rate limit for the filter you are using?

The sound staging capabilities of the Alexia 2 are damn impressive!

I'm not answering for Chris if you are asking him, but Audiolense gave me the option of up to 5 filters - one for each of the common PCM rates digital music is found in: 44.1-192. I'm using Roon to do the DRC and one of the advantages of Roon is that it will automatically match the SR of the incoming file to the proper filter. If I happen to play something at 8X rates, Roon will also upsample a filter to match that rate. 

On a moderately powerful server the DRC/DSP is not challenging: at the moment I'm listening to a 24/44.1 source and with DRC + added digital EQ Roon is converting it at a 60X speed. If you are trying to do the same thing with DSD it is obviously more resource intensive (my server will do the same thing in DSD at about a 3X speed) - but still not an issue. That's one of the advantages of doing it in software over a unit like a Lyngdorf or a DEQX - those used to only work internally at 96k rates (I think they still do), as they don't have the computing power to go higher. Of course, you could make the argument that DRC at 4X rates etc, is superflous.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

6 hours ago, buffalobill said:

Comical. Spend a lot of money on a speaker with conventional ordinary direct radiating mid-range cone which will spray frequencies all around walls, floor, ceiling and then install acoustics to absorb the resulting distorted frequencies. The distorted frequencies are still there and dynamics are now reduced.   

What's comincal is your smug response. Or should I say sad.

Did you see the measurements? Did you read Chris' description? Have you ever done something similar in a room? Or are you just talking based on all sorts of doubtful "audiophile" assumptions without any actual knowledge of how using room treatments and measurements in this way can improve sound? 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, dumb question, but I can't figure this out:

How do I get a "live" (not simulated) measurement of my room sound with the DRC/convolution applied? I can't figure out how to apply the DRC to the test sweep in any of the measurement programs, and measure the result in real time. 

Sorry if this is obvious and I'm just not seeing it.