IGNORED

Article: A New Listening Room Part Two: Acoustics, Speakers, DSP

Thanks for sharing Chris! A lot of work I am sure, but it sounds like very rewarding.

I found the below paragraph from you frustrating. So we still have to go back to “trusting our ears”, even when it comes to applying DSP in a scientific way?

——-

At first I wasn't thrilled with the results. I believed the transients were rounded at the edges far too much for my taste. This coupled with the fact that I was used to listening without any DSP for my entire life, made me frustrated. I reported back to Mitch everything I heard, liked, and disliked. His response to me was very reassuring. He said not to worry because there are many industry standard curves to try and many small adjustments he can make to the filter. 

Over several weeks Mitch sent me more filters to try. I was traveling much of this time, so I assume we could've hammered out my issues pretty quick if I could dedicate more time to the effort. Mitch sent filters based on ITU, B&K and Bob Katz target curves before sending the EBU 3276 target curve. I liked the direction he was taking my system with the ITU curve, but when I pressed play with the EBU 3276 curve enabled, I was sold. My system was really singing. My room was out of the picture, and the music was right there in front of me. 

——

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wouldn’t be frustrated because of that experience. It’s actually quite cool because there are options to get the sound as close as possible to the source, at your listening position. That’s why there are several standards. It’s like if you prefer DSD over PCM. That’s not frustrating it’s just preference. 

So again, trusting your ears? If a correctly applied DSP does not “fix” it the first time around, then wouldn’t you messing around with switching things around to match your listening preferences? I mean if the DSP is correctly applied at first go, as it should be, why would one tweak it? Or are you saying different people have different preferences in terms of how something sounds? Shocker!

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

... or you’re looking for me to explicitly state I have to trust my ears?

Sure! 😂.

In all seriousness, the frustrating part with DSP is that one cannot be certain a certain setting will make thing better or worse. For your ears, that is. But you are right, it’s all worth experimenting until finding something that sounds better than current sound

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Darryl R said:

I have the same speakers as Chris, and thanks to some kind advise from him I decided to get bass traps and panels for the 1st and 2nd reflection points from ATS (and very affordably).  With just the bass traps installed today my bottom end is much more focused.

IMG_0152.JPG

Wow! Nice gear you have in there. Is that MSB Premier with powerbase? I would love to see a picture and description of your full setup 

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Jud said:

Hoo boy, lovely room, but I bet the speakers firing at the sides of the sofas is part of what’s non-negotiable, isn’t it?

I was going to say the same about the sofas, but I didn’t. I did not want hurt anyone’s feelings 🤭

Maybe the two side sofas can be moved back a few feet or so, since it seems like there enough space in that room?