IGNORED

DAC Output Voltage

On 12/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, sandyk said:

Most current amplifier designs have far too much gain already, with many giving full output at less than a 1V RMS Input, so you will need to greatly attenuate their input level which would defeat any advantages.

Sorry, I should have read from top down.

Some highly favoured Passive Preamps actually use transformers, as do a few DACs.

Incidentally, my DIY Class A Preamp only has a gain of a little over 3 times, yet I still need to use as much as 30dB attenuation at normal domestic listening levels for TV audio etc..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 5:33 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

My experience is just the opposite. I may be an outlier though. 

Maybe you need more powerful power amps.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 3 weeks later...

@The Computer Audiophile/Chris

Do you still more or less exclusively use the DAC direct-to-poweramp approach, and if so does it still reign supreme over a separate hardware preamp to your ears? 

I use a combined DAC/preamp, and using convolution filters as well (which may have eaten roughly 6dB's of sensitivity) I am fortunate to have very high efficiency speakers and a DAC/preamp that never has me running out of volume capacity (nearing '75' out of 100 on the digital attenuator has the roof close to lifting).

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Hi Chris,

DSP in the digital domain often requires a reduction in gain before processing in order to avoid clipping.  I know in HQPlayer or ROON I have to apply -5 to -6 dB before oversampling to DSD in order to avoid clipping.  -6 dB would require a doubling of the voltage to compensate.  So a de-facto "standard" of 2 V now would have to become 4 V.  Then, as you mention, some audiophile recordings require a higher gain setting due to their lower average recording levels.  I adjust my (DIY) DACs' output stages to put out around 4.4 V or so in order to have adequate gain in my system.  My amp requires a 2 V signal to reach max output, but it will do a little better than that as well.  Sometimes very powerful amplifiers will require even more voltage to reach full output.  With this set up I run my Volume Control anywhere from -3 dB to -20 dB depending on material, so this gain is about right for my system.  Generally best sonic results will happen with the least amount of attenuation, but some of this depends on the volume control implementation itself.  

And then there are amps with require far less voltage, or one could have the combination of a very sensitive loudspeaker, say 8 ohms and 94 dB and a powerful amp, and then they might have too much gain.

I think home audio could be better with higher voltages all around: in other words make the amps have less gain, and have the source have a bit higher signal.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

I think home audio could be better with higher voltages all around: in other words make the amps have less gain, and have the source have a bit higher signal

That's not always possible when you have several different sources, such as DTV audio, FM stereo, and even a RIAA Phono output 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

5 minutes ago, 4est said:

I disagree. IMO, we should retain the standards that were in part used because of the gain required by vinyl and tape. In an attempt to create more output voltage from sources and pre amps, it would require an extra gain stage for analog sources. Perhaps I am an outlier in that I wish to retain the functions of my analog equipment whilst pursuing modern tech too. I think a good compromise would be to have additional gain AFTER the volume attenuator that is not used if it the attenuation is not. Hence, just like a pre amp with line level being just that, line level.

The standard ended up being around 2 V, and there's little hope to change that now. The choice was, however, quite arbitrary. The output voltage directly from a tape head or vinyl pickup is tiny and needs lots of gain and equalisation to yield a 2 V signal with correct spectrum. The electronics providing this function (RIAA preamp and whatever is inside tape players) could easily be made with another 6 dB of gain.

Small signals don't like long cables, especially single-ended ones, so it makes sense to put as much gain as is practical at the source.

2 hours ago, 4est said:

I disagree. IMO, we should retain the standards that were in part used because of the gain required by vinyl and tape. In an attempt to create more output voltage from sources and pre amps, it would require an extra gain stage for analog sources. Perhaps I am an outlier in that I wish to retain the functions of my analog equipment whilst pursuing modern tech too. I think a good compromise would be to have additional gain AFTER the volume attenuator that is not used if it the attenuation is not. Hence, just like a pre amp with line level being just that, line level.

I agree.  Of course i use digital volume control in my DAC, so the additional gain would be after the volume control and I drive amp(s) directly.  I prefer to have a stout gain stage at the output of the DAC to drive the input stage of the amplifier robustly.  But I am not in favor of adding extra gain stages, just as many as are needed (no preamp).  I personally will not use a preamp again (until I am retired and, maybe, spinning some vinyl for nostalgia's sake!).  I am not suggesting a lot of additional gain either: say we standardized amplifiers such that they all produced full output with around 5 volts input.  Benchmark basically goes for this approach with their products (Pro heritage).  There is no reason analog sources like tape decks could not also have this output level, to their benefit, and built in volume control before the final output driver stage.  Turntables are their own world and require so much extra "stuff" (gain/equalisation) they are in their own world.

The theory is that, in general, a higher voltage "line level" signal would suffer less loss in transmission, and be less subject to degradation by interconnect quality and noise pickup (airborne RF, etc).  Anyone who has played around with turntables much knows how frustrating noise can be with low level signals.

Ultimately though I think we should move to a more simple set up.  Current technology is so good with class D amplification, and the best SMPS that it makes more sense than ever to go with single box solutions.  I am itching to conceive and help design a single box DAC/AMP, eliminating external interconnects entirely (and gain stages, no need to drive cables).  Just ethernet input, and speaker output.  I know audiophiles who are into "system building" will not accept such an approach, but the stuff I have been playing with for the last few years just begs to put together this way.  Powered speakers are of course another way of doing a similar thing, but i am still not convinced about sensitive electronics being inside a box with that much vibration.  At least the single box DAC/Amp leaves some flexibility for audiophiles as well (speaker choice can be so critical).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

41 minutes ago, barrows said:

Ultimately though I think we should move to a more simple set up.  Current technology is so good with class D amplification, and the best SMPS that it makes more sense than ever to go with single box solutions.  I am itching to conceive and help design a single box DAC/AMP, eliminating external interconnects entirely (and gain stages, no need to drive cables).  Just ethernet input, and speaker output.

It's called an AVR.

9 hours ago, mansr said:

You're missing the point. He's saying, and I agree, it would be better if all sources had a little higher voltage.

I am not missing the point. It's simply not possible to further increase the output levels of those legacy devices .

It also implies that quite a few devices would also need to have much larger voltage supply rails.

Goodbye to USB powered DACs for example.

22 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I am not missing the point. It's simply not possible to further increase the output levels of those legacy devices .

A phono preamp has a gain of 40-60 dB. Surely adding another 6 dB wouldn't be all that difficult.

22 minutes ago, sandyk said:

It also implies that quite a few devices would also need to have much larger voltage supply rails.

Goodbye to USB powered DACs for example.

Ever heard of a boost converter?

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Ever heard of a boost converter?

Just what we need. NOT ! A switching device in a simple DAC to cause further design problems and the possibility of a degradation in performance. Affordable USB DACs have enough problems as it is .

A phono preamp has a gain of 40-60 dB. Surely adding another 6 dB wouldn't be all that difficult

Unless the output voltages of a typical RIAA Phono amplifier have markedly increased in the last few years. then it wouldn't do much more than meet the current output voltage level of most DACs and CD/DVD/BR  players etc.

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Just what we need. NOT ! A switching device in a simple DAC to cause further design problems and the possibility of a degradation in performance.

There are complete modules, including inductor, available if you're too lazy to lay out a handful of components yourself.

Just now, mansr said:

There are complete modules, including inductor, available if you're too lazy to lay out a handful of components yourself.

Then Paperman, why don't you construct one and submit it to Archimago for measurements and a performance report ? 😛

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Is this a compliment or insult?

I am simply pointing out that it is isn't as simple as stringing together a series of modules.

Mansr tries to make things like this sound so easy.

Theory is fine, but it takes fine tuning too using our hearing, not just measurements to verify the final results 

45 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I am simply pointing out that it is isn't as simple as stringing together a series of modules.

Mansr tries to make things like this sound so easy.

Theory is fine, but it takes fine tuning too using our hearing, not just measurements to verify the final results 

So an insult then?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull