IGNORED

Acceptable Responses when Impossible Claims Are Made??

Ralf11

14 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Who was it saying yesterday that Radical Subjectivism isn't a thing?

It isn't radical Subjectivism in other areas of the forum such as the Music Server area, and SPONSORED areas  either, where MANY members report hearing, AND confirming  hearing things that according to members such as yourself are simply not possible.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

quite a few different members wish to see this forum return to more pleasant days where there wasn't an all out war on science or its application to audio, and angry belligerent rage posters did not try to disrupt every thread on here

do you know anyone like that???

You .

As a Scientist you should have an open mind and be able to accept that currently accepted Scientific knowledge isn't always  perfect ,and investigate where their is a heap of, confirmed by others, anecdotal reports such as in the  A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming thread, and some Sponsors threads.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Scientists do NOT have open minds like a screen door in a submarine

No, but neither should they be welded shut either like yours is in this area ,where your qualifications are in a completely different discipline to Electronics.

2 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

I'm guessing real scientists also don't have 12k+ posts on an audiophile forum. But I've been wrong before.

Currently 12,677 in a period of just over 3 years. How many of those posts actually contributed to the advancement of Computer Audio ?

23 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

for example, the output impedance of one component might be a great or terrible match for the input impedance of the next component in the chain. That type of thing is a source - not the only source, but one source - of some variance and disagreement among people about the sonic quality of some components.

Off Topic, but 100% correct.

10 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

You’re not, by some chance, talking about Frank and his “method” are you. If so, I am in complete agreement!

Clearly not, George, as Frank currently has only made 5,981 posts

Regards

Alex

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

My mistake, Alex! 🤫

Hi George

Would you disagree that in the vast majority of technical areas that we both discuss, that for the most part we are on the same page, unlike your discussions with Frank ?

Kind Regards

Alex 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

So barring any malicious or incompetent impedance mis-matches or ridiculous amounts of capacitance or inductance in the connections, those won't sound any different than a good RG6 based interconnect.  They can't.  Any cable effects are way down in the dirt well below anything you could ever hear.  No frequency response differences are available.  No change in the signals that could result in anything audible.

Dennis

I disagree,and agree with Jud .This is in many cases also governed by the value of the parallel output capacitors to 0 volts at the outputs of a DAC for example, and the actual length and capacitance of the Interconnects used.

As an  example, several years ago I purchased 2 pairs of Blue Jeans LC1 cables of 6 feet length to connect from my DIY Silicon Chip magazine designed DAC at the other side of the cabinet to my DAC. I found HF detail too metallic sounding with these cables of almost half the capacitance of a normal RG59 double screened style cable of the same length, and gave them to a friend.

Yes, I may have been able to compensate for this by increasing the value of the DACs output capacitors to allow for this, but most consumers are not able to do this. Some designers will however use larger value capacitors at that area to boast the best possible distortion figures, but this can sometimes result in a small audible degradation.(a little dull sounding)  This effect will also governed by the value of the series output resistors used at the output of the output I.Cs,  which are needed in most cases as many opamps do not like driving capacitive loads of >100pF e.g. LM4562/LME49720

BTW, who uses RG6 cables for interconnects ? They are too thick and not bendable enough in most cases, and may place additional strain on the RCA sockets.

Regards

Alex

53 minutes ago, esldude said:

So you are saying such a cable will cause measurable distortion and FR differences?  If so, then it is easy.  Measure those differences and choose clean and flat response.  Easy to measure with a couple different lengths of interconnect and extrapolate what is too much for them. 

Dennis

In this case I am unable to take suitable measurements and need to take note of what I am hearing, just as Jud did.

Whether we like it or not, opamps are affected by different load capacitances. Even as far back as the earlier CD players that had a small front panel mounted headphone amplifier, they found that the additional parallel capacitance of the cable to the headphone amplifier PCB caused audible degradation at the RCA output sockets. The fix back then was to disconnect this cable.

This was also documented in magazines such as HiFi News and Record Review. Another solution that I also implemented back then was to insert 100 ohm series resistors at the start of this additional cable.

In the case of the Silicon Chip Studio Preamp/HA design some constructors found that the cable from the Preamp Section PCB at the rear to the remote control PCB at the front caused the LM4562 to OSCILLATE., which was evidenced by grainy sounding audio and the I.C. being quite warm to the touch.  Again, in this case the best solution was also to fit series 100 ohm output resistors, which I also did with this DIY project. 

In the attached .pdf you will note the increased degradation when the output capacitance is only 100pF, and it gets even worse with higher capacitance cable loading.

Note  p.22 and especially the top of p.24 of the attached Data sheet.

The LM4562 is a high speed op amp with excellent phase margin and stability. Capacitive loads up to 100pF will cause little change in the phase characteristics of the amplifiers and are therefore allowable.

Capacitive loads greater than 100pF must be isolated from the output. The most straightforward way to do this is to put a resistor in series with the output. This resistor will also prevent excess power dissipation if the output is accidentally shorted.

Alex

LM4562.pdf