jonathan_s

DIY Server vs Off the Shelf (Innuos, Nucleus+, etc.)

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, dminches said:

Why would you need 2 Keces P8s to power the 800W HDPLEX DC-ATX if you are just using it to power the motherboard and CPU?  Would you run the CPU from group 2?

Hey, that is true...  I should only need 100W or so according to a power supply calculator....

2 hours ago, jonathan_s said:

Hey, that is true...  I should only need 100W or so according to a power supply calculator....

You can do two Keces P8s:

- one single rail 20V to power up the HDPlex800 (group one only).

- one single rail 12V to power the EPS connector.

You will benefit from the isolation and extra headroom. As an additional benefit, you will have two 5V USB outputs to power up JCAT or any other cards. 

10 hours ago, Nenon said:

You will benefit from the isolation and extra headroom. As an additional benefit, you will have two 5V USB outputs to power up JCAT or any other cards. 

Nenon, thanks!  I seem to recall you are running a JCAT Net card with a 1A supply, rather than the recommended 1.5A min (I would only use a single port on the card, as you are)?  Just want to make sure the USB power on a Keces has enough head room to power a JCAT or Pink Faun (with or without additional clock) card...

12 hours ago, Nenon said:

Can you power group 2 with only 12V?  I can’t tell from the specs.  I thought you needed at least 16V.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

2 hours ago, jonathan_s said:

I seem to recall you are running a JCAT Net card with a 1A supply, rather than the recommended 1.5A min (I would only use a single port on the card, as you are)?

Not me, but I read that somewhere too. Perhaps it was @StreamFidelity who did that? 

For PinkFaun with OCXO, you would probably benefit from a power supply with more headroom. 

49 minutes ago, dminches said:

Can you power group 2 with only 12V?  I can’t tell from the specs.  I thought you needed at least 16V.

I don't think you can. But my suggestion was to power the EPS connector on the CPU with the 12V, not to use group 2 at all. 

33 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I don't think you can. But my suggestion was to power the EPS connector on the CPU with the 12V, not to use group 2 at all. 

I see.  You are suggesting to not use the 800W DC-ATX for the CPU but just for the 24 pin ATX.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

1 minute ago, dminches said:

I see.  You are suggesting to not use the 800W DC-ATX for the CPU but just for the 24 pin ATX.

Exactly.

38 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Not me, but I read that somewhere too. Perhaps it was @StreamFidelity who did that? 

For PinkFaun with OCXO, you would probably benefit from a power supply with more headroom. 

Nenon,

Thanks, it may have been @StreamFidelity after all with regard to the JCAT card at 1A.  Food for thought with regard to powering the JCAT and Pink Faun cards...

Marcin , Are you able to release the specs? It seems like lots of us are about to pull the trigger on the LPS (Apart from your cards).

Synology NAS (LPS)/MiniMc(Uptone JS-2/MMK JS-2, LPS-1)>Ultra Rendu(JS-2/LPS-1)/Uptone Audio IsoRegen (LPS-1)>LampizatOr GoldenGate(R2R)/Meridian 808.3>Wavac EC300B/PRT1/MD-805m, Lavardin IT>Tannoy Canterbury SE

Synology NAS/MiniMc (LPS)>MRendu(LPS-1)/(LPSU)>LampizatOr GoldenGate>/Woo WES/Ifi ICan (LPSU)>Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

5 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

I'd recommend you to wait until next month for the JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS, at least to see what the features are. 

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Marcin,

Thanks for the heads-up..  Was just looking at messages from last year saying this was going to be out Q4 of 2019, so sounds like you are still pretty close to on target...

Will definitely be reading with interest, as I won't be putting this system together until late March or early April.

5 hours ago, zerung said:

Marcin , Are you able to release the specs? It seems like lots of us are about to pull the trigger on the LPS (Apart from your cards).

For now I can only say that it's a true linear PSU (no switching power supplies anywhere) with two independent galvanically isolated DC outputs each capable of delivery up to 3A of load. For more information please wait for the official release in February. 

4 hours ago, jonathan_s said:

Marcin,

Thanks for the heads-up..  Was just looking at messages from last year saying this was going to be out Q4 of 2019, so sounds like you are still pretty close to on target...

Will definitely be reading with interest, as I won't be putting this system together until late March or early April.

Yes, but not sure if I mentioned hd-plex or this. Optimo 3 Duo is a proprietary design of JCAT and is Made in Poland. 

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder