The Computer Audiophile

Article: McIntosh Announces MC901 Dual Mono Amplifier

I’m going to assume everyone’s recuperating from having their entire worldview shattered by this to comment...

I think it’s a great idea and wonder why no one has done it before. 

edit: 37.5 watts per tube, is that a lot for a KT88?

No electron left behind...

42 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I’m going to assume everyone’s recuperating from having their entire worldview shattered by this to comment...

No, that is about the typical output for a 6550/KT88.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Agree. I could use a little education from some of our more “experienced” readers. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

The last photo, and the one on the marble looking table, reminds me of a choo choo steam engine that would play well with Back to the Future, with all the tubes glowing on the side providing some type of plasma energy. Even the white ring on top, perhaps a futuristic smoke stack? Two meters in one? I have no idea if this is the bees knees of new design, and I've not heard it obviously, but really? Lately I've not liked their aesthetics, and I'm a customer. I guess the brand needs spiffing up according to the marketing department, but it's just not working for this stick-in-the-mud. A local shop has a MC275 LE I'm lusting after, so maybe I just gotta get my mind right and give this "new" aesthetic a chance. 

image.png

JJinPDX

28 minutes ago, JJinPDX said:

The last photo, and the one on the marble looking table, reminds me of a choo choo steam engine that would play well with Back to the Future, with all the tubes glowing on the side providing some type of plasma energy. Even the white ring on top, perhaps a futuristic smoke stack? Two meters in one? I have no idea if this is the bees knees of new design, and I've not heard it obviously, but really? Lately I've not liked their aesthetics, and I'm a customer. I guess the brand needs spiffing up according to the marketing department, but it's just not working for this stick-in-the-mud. A local shop has a MC275 LE I'm lusting after, so maybe I just gotta get my mind right and give this "new" aesthetic a chance. 

image.png

I really like the new aesthetic as a change but not sure how classic the look of carbon fiber will be long term. My MC275 will look classic forever. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

I see Victor Frankenstein has upgraded his audio gear in time for Christmas.... The size of it you would need a classical lightening conductor to run it..alive.thumb.jpg.86da546faaba8c79fd67624b0ddb5462.jpg

Frankly, when I saw the first image this morning, I was like... “WOW” - say what you want, they came up with an intriguing design and amplifier all in one. Based on the MC601s I own, I am sure this will sound pretty great. The 601s continue to impress me... 

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not really.  I've had a couple push pull amps that were 75 wpc using a pair of KT88's.  37.5 watts per tube. 

Here is the measurements of an MC275 which is a pair of KT88's per channel putting out 75 wpc.  

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-mc275-power-amplifier-measurements

I like the new look.  Don't know about this combination of a hybrid, but no reason it couldn't be used effectively.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Agree. I could use a little education from some of our more “experienced” readers. 

I think it is a great idea.   I have been bi-amping my Von Schweikert VR 5 Anniversary MK2s for several years, and it is always a giant PITA trying to match the top amp with the bottom amp, and takes allot of trial and error to get right.   I love the idea of an all-in-one tubes on top, SS on bottom, best of both worlds.   What would be interesting is if this amp will work with KT150 tubes.   I'll bet this amp will sound fantastic on speakers designed to be bi-amped.

Wow, this is new. An amplifier built to do bi-amp by the design. Kudos for the old company trying something never done before!  Hopefully, someone will review how it works in the real world.  And, I really hope the next version will look better.

I was hoping to see handles on these battleships one day but I guess keep on hoping.Lovely lines as usual.

usblues

The other day on McIntoshes Instagram they had a video of one of these while playing music, watching the two VU Meters dance was kind of neat.

No electron left behind...

If they ever go to handles,I wonder if they'll be blue too?Beautiful,I'll bet Jerry has em on order aye?........adios brother

usblues