IGNORED

New $52,000+ Mac Pro Makes HiFi Look Cheap

mac-pro-2019-gallery1.jpegSo, the new Mac Pro is configurable on Apple's website. It sure looks cool, but at $52,000+ for all the options it makes HiFi look cheap. Then, considering the life of a computer compared to a HiFi component, it makes HiFi look like an investment :~)

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

So, the new Mac Pro is configurable on Apple's website.

I'm not sure 1.5TB of DDR4 ECC memory is a good investment.  It won't be long till motherboards support DDR5.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

$400 for wheels? WTF, yikes! Now I remember why I switched to Windows after twenty years of Mac. If the balance of the items have this sort of markup, Apple deserves to be panned.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

11 minutes ago, plissken said:

Configured an AMD Epyc system at Velocity Micro with 128 cores. For $39K and it will smoke the Mac Pro comparatively configured at $40K with 768GB RAM. 

That's in a vacuum though. I can't wait to see real world tests that will no doubt be done with the Mac Pro running both Windows and macOS, possibly Linux but support will be shoddy for a while. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's in a vacuum though. I can't wait to see real world tests that will no doubt be done with the Mac Pro running both Windows and macOS, possibly Linux but support will be shoddy for a while. 

Currently there are $2K Ryzen systems substantially out performing the current iMac Pro. So we have some data points already. So I don't think it's a vacuum. 

I'd say Apple is certainly smoking crack on this one. So all that and you only get 1 X CPU, 1 X Power Supply. This is clearly for those who have already gone "All-In" on MacOS and the software that runs on it but for one reason or another need more HP.

I can buy a two decked out Cisco UCS Blades for that kind of bread which would show the MAC a clean pair of heels as they pull away in a HP contest 😕