IGNORED

Pro cabling for audiophile systems

Kimo

On 12/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, Kimo said:

Anyone else using pro cables?  Any recommendations?

Belden 8402 for SE Interconnects 

Belden 8477 for Speaker Cable 

Organic sounding Tinned Copper cables.  

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

12 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Have you ever had the opportunity to compare the 8477 with Belden 9497?

No I haven't ... was looking for a 12AWG cable in my case which led me to the 8477.

But thanks for bringing it up.  Will look out for it.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

2 hours ago, Kimo said:

I don't think it would be a great fit, if a larger gauge is required.  It is a long time favorite of the SET/Tube owners, who seem to typically eschew fancy cables.

In the case of 12AWG the gauge impacts low end  with warmth and solidity / weight to the sound .  The 16AWG in comparison has a thinner more precise sound as the lower end is attenuated giving clearer HF.  Warm sounding systems will probably benefit from a 16 AWG cable.  

I checked notes with a friend of mine who had both the 8477 and 9497.  He preferred the 8477 for the reasons mentioned above.  The 8477 had more weight and warmth which he preferred in his setup.  . 

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Could you please share the model numbers of the cables you used?  There is a fair amount of variation in the cables within brands as well. 

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Regards 

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2022 at 1:50 AM, Kimo said:

Tinned copper seems to be a favorite of some.  Also, there is an old Stereophile article discussing its measurable benefit with respect to Supra speaker cables.

I have been delving into Japanese cables, recently.  Belden seems to be a favorite there. 

I got into tinned copper after reading Jeff Day's blog and his interactions with Shirokazu Yazaki.  

https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com/belden-8402-microphone-cable-interconnects-and-best-tronics-pro-audio/

Very organic sound and stonking value for money. 

I still have the 8402 interconnects with Eichmann RCA Bullet plugs.

For speaker cable, I use the 8477 (12 awg) and the 8471 (16 awg).