IGNORED

Pro cabling for audiophile systems

Kimo

20 hours ago, Kimo said:

I have been making a dedicated effort over the last several months to utilize pro cabling in my home audio system.  Experimentation is fairly cheap.  Also, I believe that most companies are shooting for truthful reproduction, typically at low cost.  With that said, there are sonic differences, even within the lines one manufacturer.  Here are my favorites so far.

RCA: Mogami Gold

XLR: Grimm Audio

SPDIF: Apogee Wyde Eye

Speaker Cable: Gotham 2 x 2.5

I would say that I am finding the Grimm and Gotham to be great value and highly recommend.  With all the cables mentioned above, I feel no reason to go searching for audiophile alternatives. 

Anyone else using pro cables?  Any recommendations?

I use them whenever an XLR cable is indicated because I have them - lots of them. I can’t say anything about differences in sound between any of them because I am from the camp that is sure that any differences between interconnects is due to different makes and models of the wire used in their construction. If they sound different it is because they are attenuating different parts of the pass band and real conductors don’t do that, filters do that. Remember, a cable is passive, not active and therefore cannot add anything to the signal passing through it, it can only subtract from that signal. All cables do that to a certain extent, and that extent increases with length. But it is measurable, and predictable, and calculable. 

For speaker cable, I recommend Sewell Direct “Silverback” cable.

www.sewelldirect.com

This Utah-based company sells 12 Gauge OFC 259 strand speaker wire that comes pre-made in various lengths terminated with some of the highest quality banana plugs I’ve ever seen. And they do so at ridiculously low prices! A superb product in every way.

George

4 hours ago, Kimo said:

Well, for whatever reason, Mogami Gold XLR star quad cables don't sound like the AES cable or their cheaper version, and I am fairly certain Mogami would agree.  I was a bit surprised by this.  The Grimm cable throws a rock solid phantom center image that I have not heard with other cables pro or audiophile.  I was also surprised by this.   

I suspect that these “anomalies” are probably frequency response aberrations, if they exist at all.

4 hours ago, Kimo said:

The Sewell Silverback looks like great value, but where is the silver?

The logo on the package is if a silverback gorilla, So I guess that’s where the “silver is”.

George