IGNORED

Pro cabling for audiophile systems

Kimo

I have been making a dedicated effort over the last several months to utilize pro cabling in my home audio system.  Experimentation is fairly cheap.  Also, I believe that most companies are shooting for truthful reproduction, typically at low cost.  With that said, there are sonic differences, even within the lines one manufacturer.  Here are my favorites so far.

RCA: Mogami Gold

XLR: Grimm Audio

SPDIF: Apogee Wyde Eye

Speaker Cable: Gotham 2 x 2.5

I would say that I am finding the Grimm and Gotham to be great value and highly recommend.  With all the cables mentioned above, I feel no reason to go searching for audiophile alternatives. 

Anyone else using pro cables?  Any recommendations?

20 hours ago, Kimo said:

I have been making a dedicated effort over the last several months to utilize pro cabling in my home audio system.  Experimentation is fairly cheap.  Also, I believe that most companies are shooting for truthful reproduction, typically at low cost.  With that said, there are sonic differences, even within the lines one manufacturer.  Here are my favorites so far.

RCA: Mogami Gold

SPDIF: Apogee Wyde Eye

I would say that I am finding the Grimm and Gotham to be great value and highly recommend.  With all the cables mentioned above, I feel no reason to go searching for audiophile alternatives. 

I use them whenever an XLR cable is indicated because I have them - lots of them. I can’t say anything about differences in sound between any of them because I am from the camp that is sure that any differences between interconnects is due to different makes and models of the wire used in their construction. If they sound different it is because they are attenuating different parts of the pass band and real conductors don’t do that, filters do that. Remember, a cable is passive, not active and therefore cannot add anything to the signal passing through it, it can only subtract from that signal. All cables do that to a certain extent, and that extent increases with length. But it is measurable, and predictable, and calculable. 

For speaker cable, I recommend Sewell Direct “Silverback” cable.

www.sewelldirect.com

This Utah-based company sells 12 Gauge OFC 259 strand speaker wire that comes pre-made in various lengths terminated with some of the highest quality banana plugs I’ve ever seen. And they do so at ridiculously low prices! A superb product in every way.

George

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

I use them whenever an XLR cable is indicated because I have them - lots of them. I can’t say anything about differences in sound between any of them because I am from the camp that is sure that any differences between interconnects is due to different makes and models of the wire used in their construction. If they sound different it is because they are attenuating different parts of the pass band and real conductors don’t do that, filters do that. Remember, a cable is passive, not active and therefore cannot add anything to the signal passing through it, it can only subtract from that signal. All cables do that to a certain extent, and that extent increases with length. But it is measurable, and predictable, and calculable. 

For speaker cable, I recommend Sewell Direct “Silverback” cable.

www.sewelldirect.com

This Utah-based company sells 12 Gauge OFC 259 strand speaker wire that comes pre-made in various lengths terminated with some of the highest quality banana plugs I’ve ever seen. And they do so at ridiculously low prices! A superb product in every way.

Well, for whatever reason, Mogami Gold XLR star quad cables don't sound like the AES cable or their cheaper version, and I am fairly certain Mogami would agree.  I was a bit surprised by this.  The Grimm cable throws a rock solid phantom center image that I have not heard with other cables pro or audiophile.  I was also surprised by this.   

The Sewell Silverback looks like great value, but where is the silver?

4 hours ago, Kimo said:

Well, for whatever reason, Mogami Gold XLR star quad cables don't sound like the AES cable or their cheaper version, and I am fairly certain Mogami would agree.  I was a bit surprised by this.  The Grimm cable throws a rock solid phantom center image that I have not heard with other cables pro or audiophile.  I was also surprised by this.   

I suspect that these “anomalies” are probably frequency response aberrations, if they exist at all.

4 hours ago, Kimo said:

The Sewell Silverback looks like great value, but where is the silver?

The logo on the package is if a silverback gorilla, So I guess that’s where the “silver is”.

George

I use all Mogami cables (AES/EBU In/Out & Analog In/Out) in my system. The only place I use "Audiophile" branded cables is my USB & Speaker Wire connections. USB Cable is Wireworld Platinum Starlight and Speaker wire is Kubala Sosna- Elation.

I like my Audiophile speaker cables for the "Flavor" "Salt/Pepper" they add to an otherwise mostly sterile (on purpose) signal chain. The jury is still out on how much flavor my expensive USB cable add's to the sound but whatever its contribution I've decided to keep it around (probably because I would loose my ass if I tried to sell it on the used market)

Either way, you can't go wrong with Mogami and I highly recommend them

12 hours ago, cjf said:

Either way, you can't go wrong with Mogami and I highly recommend them

What he said!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I found Mogami Gold RCA cables compressed the soundstage in my main system, compared to Cardas Neutral Reference and Iridium.

I had no preference between Cardas Neutral Reference RCA and Yorkville DLX XLR (pro) interconnects feeding my Hafler HA15 headphone amp. Of course there's more involved in this comparison than just cables.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 12/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, Kimo said:

Belden 8402 for SE Interconnects 

Belden 8477 for Speaker Cable 

Organic sounding Tinned Copper cables.  

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

3 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I found Mogami Gold RCA cables compressed the soundstage in my main system, compared to Cardas Neutral Reference and Iridium.

I had no preference between Cardas Neutral Reference RCA and Yorkville DLX XLR (pro) interconnects feeding my Hafler HA15 headphone amp. Of course there's more involved in this comparison than just cables.

Interesting.  I did not care for the Mogami Gold XLR cables.   I have seen comments from others regarding the high end.  I understand that they do a great job keeping noise out, but....

I don't have much need for RCAs, unless I am running the tube amp, or the phono stage.  Perhaps, I will try and compare something basic with the Mogami to see if I notice any difference.  

12 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Have you ever had the opportunity to compare the 8477 with Belden 9497?

No I haven't ... was looking for a 12AWG cable in my case which led me to the 8477.

But thanks for bringing it up.  Will look out for it.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

No I haven't ... was looking for a 12AWG cable in my case which led me to the 8477.

But thanks for bringing it up.  Will look out for it.

I don't think it would be a great fit, if a larger gauge is required.  It is a long time favorite of the SET/Tube owners, who seem to typically eschew fancy cables.

3 hours ago, ferenc said:

I use Wireworld Micro-Platinum pro microphone cables in my hifi and home studio and for our My Reel Club live studio recordings too. 

Their speaker cable designed for mastering work is pretty upscale.  I seen Vovox doing the same thing.  

2 hours ago, Kimo said:

I don't think it would be a great fit, if a larger gauge is required.  It is a long time favorite of the SET/Tube owners, who seem to typically eschew fancy cables.

In the case of 12AWG the gauge impacts low end  with warmth and solidity / weight to the sound .  The 16AWG in comparison has a thinner more precise sound as the lower end is attenuated giving clearer HF.  Warm sounding systems will probably benefit from a 16 AWG cable.  

I checked notes with a friend of mine who had both the 8477 and 9497.  He preferred the 8477 for the reasons mentioned above.  The 8477 had more weight and warmth which he preferred in his setup.  . 

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 12:33 PM, audiobomber said:

I've now tried the 3' Mogami Gold in two more settings:

1. Between a passive preamp and miniDSP 2x4 feeding my subs

2. Between my Korg DAC and Asgard 2 headphone amp.

I didn't like it in either situation, it sounded loose and a bit dirty. In the headphone system, I replaced it with an old Meitner Cryo cable. In the sub circuit, I replaced with a dirt cheap but very well made Impact Acoustics Sonicwave cable. Both tightened up the bass and cleaned up the mids and highs. The Gold is very well made and nicely flexible but I am not impressed. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 4/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, audiobomber said:

I've now tried the 3' Mogami Gold in two more settings:

1. Between a passive preamp and miniDSP 2x4 feeding my subs

2. Between my Korg DAC and Asgard 2 headphone amp.

I didn't like it in either situation, it sounded loose and a bit dirty. In the headphone system, I replaced it with an old Meitner Cryo cable. In the sub circuit, I replaced with a dirt cheap but very well made Impact Acoustics Sonicwave cable. Both tightened up the bass and cleaned up the mids and highs. The Gold is very well made and nicely flexible but I am not impressed. 

I have sold off the last of my Mogami cable.  I no longer have much need for RCA cables.  Mogami worked better with my tube amp than my solid state set up.  The Mogami's user friendly nature was a plus.  Admittedly, I have never been overwhelmed by differences in RCA cables.  Maybe, I will try the TPR single ended, or perhaps Gotham.  The Mogami 2803 is supposed to be very special, but appears to be limited in production and not particularly inexpensive.  

Also, moved over to the Belden 1694a for spdif.  Not nearly as easy to deal with as the Apogee, but probably a little more exciting in its presentation.  I don't have much use for spdif any longer, so I likely won't bother experimenting too much.  My transport based play back is pretty much limited to a few blu rays and dvds.  

Vovox and Supra are brands that I am interested in.  I suppose the latter really doesn't count as a pro company.  I am enjoying their phono cable very much, however.  

Current recommendations. 

RCA: ?

SPDIF: Belden 1694a

On 12/15/2019 at 10:27 PM, Nikhil said:

In the case of 12AWG the gauge impacts low end  with warmth and solidity / weight to the sound .  The 16AWG in comparison has a thinner more precise sound as the lower end is attenuated giving clearer HF.  Warm sounding systems will probably benefit from a 16 AWG cable.  

I checked notes with a friend of mine who had both the 8477 and 9497.  He preferred the 8477 for the reasons mentioned above.  The 8477 had more weight and warmth which he preferred in his setup.  . 

I actually used magnet wire with the Fi 2a3 amp that I used to own, and I recall it working just fine.  Certainly, it would cost very little to experiment with.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, Kimo said:

Well, for whatever reason, Mogami Gold XLR star quad cables don't sound like the AES cable or their cheaper version, and I am fairly certain Mogami would agree. 

What is the length of the cables that you are using ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I used to be a sucker of Expensive cables like Siltech, Argento, etc until I bought a pair of FM Acoustics XLR interconnects.  They are not cheap, but relatively inexpensive compared to other big names. By its look, you can mistake it from $5 cable, but don't be fooled by its appearance, it replaced a pair of Argento FMR XLR in my system 🙂 I heard their speaker cables are also very good but FM products are extremely rare in used market, and people tend to just keep them.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:24 AM, wr_aspire said:

I used to be a sucker of Expensive cables like Siltech, Argento, etc until I bought a pair of FM Acoustics XLR interconnects.  They are not cheap, but relatively inexpensive compared to other big names. By its look, you can mistake it from $5 cable, but don't be fooled by its appearance, it replaced a pair of Argento FMR XLR in my system 🙂 I heard their speaker cables are also very good but FM products are extremely rare in used market, and people tend to just keep them.

They are pretty rare in the new market as well.  At least in the USA.  Quick google search didn't provide much.  From my own experience, I would certainly agree with them on phono cables and specificity, per what I read on the FM site.  

I have a pair of Supra EFF cables in for comparison to the Grimm.  They cost a bit more, but the company has been making cables forever, and the pricing is still cheap by audiophile standards.  

Will see how they compare with the Vovox, as well.