IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

1 minute ago, plissken said:

And I'm here to tell you that I'm equally well versed on Computer Audio Systems having implemented AVB and AES67. We are talking 150 end points, a layer 2 diameter of 4 in some cases and round trip under 2ms. 

That would make a really cool article. I know I’d love to read it. 

But, the issue addressed in the OP’s article wasn’t about expertise. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

If the market consistently demands fixes for non-existent problems (USB cables, decrapifiers, linear power supplies, ethernet filters, better sounding fuses, grounding boxes, "improved" DC cables, etc), companies will oblige. As you say the ratio is 100:1 here for subjectivists. The majority that's driving the demand is interested in products solving problems that are mostly imagined rather than seeking real innovation.

You can't honestly believe yourself on that can you? Do you really think any of the manufacturers fro which you purchase equipment are going to stop engineering efforts toward innovation and start producing as you call them "decrapifiers?" 

If yes, then you're motivated by a fear of losing access to "good" components? I searching for motivation to help me understand.

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I'm curious why you keep bringing this up in response to my posts. If you feel that I'm interfering with too many threads here on AS, I'm perfectly willing to go elsewhere. 

It isn't you specifically.

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Probably that fears of this place turning into another Hydrogenaudio Forum are unfounded...

Correct, those fears are unfounded. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

Think of it as signal to noise ratio. In today's hi-fi market, there is so much noise (snake oil) that it is difficult to find the signal (honest products that simply do what they say for a reasonable price). There's a hi-fi store a couple of blocks from my house. They sell only snake oil interconnects (AudioQuest and such), and the salesmen say silly things about silver. This isn't even a "high end" store. If I need an interconnect, my options are to buy bulk cable and mount connectors myself, or I can take my chances on Amazon with the risk of being scammed in the other direction (cheap crap that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way). Do you find this situation desirable? I do not.

The situation is probably different around the world. I Minneapolis I can go to a store to get cables at all price points and at all levels of what yo'd call real engineering to snake oil. This isn't a big city with a burgeoning HiFi market either. 

Online "anyone" can get cables you'd consider "good" without much risk. Amazon is one place, but monoprice is also good. 

I don' think it's as dire as you purport above. 

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I can honestly say that I believe this wholeheartedly. Innovation has slowed down to a crawl with much junk and unnecessary devices/enhancements being introduced all the time. As Mans said, true innovation is very hard to find in the noise.

I can respect that if it's what you truly believe. I don't believe there is evidence to support it, but that's OK. 

Do you know when innovation in HiFi proceeded at a faster pace?

13 minutes ago, mansr said:

The entire article is little more than a parade of insults and accusations directed at a caricature of those you disagree with. You didn't name anyone explicitly, but you didn't need to. We all know who you had in mind.

My question to you (and Chris) is, what are you so afraid of?

I don't have any fear, I just want to see people enjoy themselves here. I suppose one could catastrophize and say I fear subjective AS users being run away from the site by an objective mob and I end up living in a van down by the river, but that's not based in reality for me. 

12 minutes ago, wgscott said:

The bit quoted here, especially that which I set in bold-faced:

But let me add that I am glad you formulated your position in this way, because it gives invaluable insight into how at least one "subjectivist" proponent sees the opposition.

I think everyone should see value in his honest editorial. If one doesn't agree at least it shows the reasoning and thought process of someone who doesn't think like you. It's all valuable. 

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Really? How does that work? Maybe @The Computer Audiophile can comment on this because, AFAIK advertising rates here are fixed price, per year, for different sizes and placements, and having seen the rate sheet they have not changed much over the past 3 years.

So more traffic here does not result in more revenue for the site. Though it might increase traffic to those of his advertisers.

Given this is the lucrative world of niche online publishing, I expect to be swimming in my gold coins, a la Scrooge McDuck, later this evening because of this editorial. Honestly, I don't even take Bill's speculation seriously. 

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

More than just double - All in!  Your stuck in a rut (which might very well be where you want yourself and this site to be on this subject).   If you want serious thought and discussion on this subject, then a little work/self reflection on your and everyone else's part is probably the only way forward. 

Beyond that, it's finger wagging all day long just as it was yesterday and just as it will be tomorrow.  

@joelhasuggestion that we accept radical subjectivism as the neutral and civil ground of not only audio, but science, metaphysics and religion too, is just more of the same and not a way forward...

With all due respect, please share some of what's in your glass. 😉

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

Wow, RT66indierock called Lee Scoggins a liar without so much as a peep out of you but ARQuint called RT66indierock a narcissist and here you are? Biased just a little?

With all due respect, this sounds a little bit like the kids in my daughter’s second grade class. 

Things aren’t black and white, and people bend rules as far as possible without breaking them. I’d recommend a little less policing with a magnifying glass. 

5 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

This is a little more black and white. HDTracks v 7digital, was filed in June of 2018 and stated their business relationship ended in April of 2018. Any statement that HDTracks MQA streaming service was coming were false after April of 2018. Therefore  Lee's statements in 2019 were lies.

Not my problem if people don't have PACER to track federal cases, I do. 

You're no lawyer and this is no court of law, but suggesting you know Lee was lying is a stretch. 

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Chris, are you suggesting there is an actual distinction between gaslighting and lying?  Aren't they the same thing?

I have no idea through what lens you read my comments, but it's not rose colored. 

I suggested nothing of the sort. In this HDtracks example, if Lee had no idea the deal fell through and there was a lawsuit ongoing, the chances that he was lying are slim to none. 

30 minutes ago, crenca said:

Yet, even here the stakes are something and not nothing.  For all but oligarchs, the pricing of audiophilia is significant.  The hucksterism and "who cares" subjectivism makes for a poisoned divide.  

Also we must remember the war on Christmas...that's important 😋

This has zero to do with actual pricing and everything to do with your background and point of view. The pricing of audiophilia has never been lower. Go to the Schiit website and have a look. Go to Benchmark's site and see what kind of engineering one can get for his money. Oligarch's wouldn't be caught dead spending this little. Looking through a telescope at only the most expensive items in any category of consumer goods will lead you to your conclusion. This isn't a sound method from which to conclude anything.

4 minutes ago, crenca said:

Well stated.  However, I think you have made an error.  A rational and balanced explication of the real subjective/objective elements of audio is not the "gist" of what the OP was getting at.  

Based on your comments in this thread, I don't believe you have any idea what the OP was getting at. Please stop suggesting otherwise.