IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

<false equivalence of science & religion>

I didn't get that from reading the OP's article. 

Did you read the entire article???

"I believe these debates are about religion  * * *

Allowing audiophiles to post their subjective conclusions without proof brings them one step closer to accepting those who relate their religious experiences without proof. For them, science is god "

I also have never seen any of the 3 attacks on you that he lists.

2 hours ago, thyname said:

I have no issue with the "objectivists" posting about audio, as long as it is based on their own, actual experience, of owning and using (or measuring) the gear under review.

Does this only apply to  "objectivists" as you define it - or to everyone???

I am thinking of one non-objective individual in particular, who frequently disrupts threads with his angry posts, yet never comments on his own actual experience of the gear under discussion.  He also has a hearing loss.

40 minutes ago, thyname said:

‘Only to those I mentioned. Not to all objectivists. My post was especially targeted to those who don’t even own an audio system, or don’t even listen to music.

The above is what you said, not the revisionist post later.

I would like to know if there is such a person on here.  Or Not.

40 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

At this point is it fair to say that the original article failed to bring about a change in behavior?  Haven’t we seem enough evidence that suggests these individuals feel their behavior is justified?  I’m not trying to stir up the dust with these questions as I think we’ve done enough talking about the problem.  I’m just thinking it be time to shift the discussion to possible solutions. 

The ideal solution would have been for certain individuals to agree to moderate their own behavior. But as they are either unwilling or unable to do this, might there be a solution that doesn’t have to burden others with the task of moderation?  Or do we do nothing and just allow things to continue as is?

I have several friends who could make wonderful contributions here that would help us all better enjoy listening to the music we love, but they either avoid posting here or do it sparingly because they have the exact same complaints that were raised in the article.  As such I hope we can find an agreeable solution.

I agree that "certain individuals should moderate their own behavior."  For example, if someone disagrees with some claim about cables, you should pay attention and not Rage On like a snowflake in Hades.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'd say this began soon after the first phonograph was invented for home use. There just wasn't an online forum for people to complain back then.

But ridicule of audiophools dates back to the 1950s at least.  So they were making absurd claims and complaining somehow 

5 hours ago, ShawnC said:

So, to expand on that, given say 4 amps from 4 different manufacturers that all meet the same criteria (class, power rating and gain) what could possibly be the reasons some may hear a difference?  Would it be different types of capacitors, wiring, grounding ect,.  What would be the the logical check list to figure out why we may hear a difference in amplifiers if it does exists? 

@mansr, often says a product "meets specs" or is within a given specification.  So if a amplifier that meets specs with all its possible building components that create that amplifier, yet is made from different types of building materials (cooper, silver, aluminium, plastic ect..) but still meets specs, could this be the difference in what we hear, given the amp meets spec and current standard measurements?

Then we can move on to Pre amps, DACs ect..

Crossover distortion has been an issue for years - hence the popularity of class A designs (despite the horrors of trying to drive a speaker with only a few W of power);  Benchmark licensed a technology using feed-forward from (THX?) that is claimed to greatly reduce this distortion, and is a widely acclaimed amp

then there is the spectrum of harmonics produced by tubes vs. (most) transistors; and the rise of the MOS-FET

and, of course, the Dr. J transistor...