IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

22 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

RE op amps, I'd be curious to hear from @mansr and other members with significant engineering knowledge about the question of whether or not the main existing measurements can reasonably be considered to capture the performance of op amps vs a discrete stage. My understanding (which could be mistaken) is that they do.

At the voltages and currents involved here, there is nothing one can do with discrete components that can't be done better as an IC.

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

a custom designed IC, or is an off the shelf IC adequate?  (e.g. layout, crosstalk, etc. etc.)

We're talking about low-level audio amplifiers. Nothing exotic here, and many ready-made parts are available with excellent performance figures. For example, take a look at the OPA1611 data sheet. It describes a circuit that amplifies the distortion to make it measurable. Even if the official figures are inflated, matching its performance with a discrete circuit would take considerable effort. Why not leave that to the experts who designed the chip? They're probably better at it than you are.

13 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Not necessarily.  Context needs to be considered.

Note the claim that @plissken made:  "When products are championed in the market place that are proven empirically to have no possible impact on audio."  

This is an exaggerated and false claim based on a misunderstanding of the proper application of null results.

Hold on, I thought we were talking about Ted Denney. Or maybe Bill Lowe. You know, the kind of person who uses pseudoscience to promote products of questionable value.