IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

certain displayed behaviors might be consistent with how one would expect a narcissist to behave - such as denigration of other peoples hearing, their audio system?

or believing that one's own hearing is so superior that it allows the slightest detail to emerge in a cloud of grandiosity?

I don't think it's appropriate to denigrate a system or another's hearing -- but I don't see it as being totally out of bounds to suggest those as possible reasons why someone might not be hearing what others hear.  I've said before that until a few years my own system hadn't advanced far enough to allow me to hear what many others were reporting.  It still has a ways to go.  This was a fun way to gauge my progress:  https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46837

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, firedog said:

And what you think is conclusive, a "massive amount of anectdotal evidence" is something they understand to not really be evidence at all. And why would they have confidence that their truth will come out? Based on what? The massive amounts of people who won't even consider the idea that their perceptions are clouded by expectation bias? The same way the climate change deniers, Kennedy assassination conspiracy buffs, Holocaust deniers, flat earthers, and anti-vaxxers have all come to their senses when confronted by facts? But according to your approach, we should all just accept all those ideas because then we will accept the  "reality" that doesn't conform to "our" truth.

All that I was saying is that people with the truth on their side behave in way that demonstrates confidence that they’re on the right side of things.  

Not everyone is going to come to their senses but no one put me in charge of making sure that they do.  And likewise no on on this forum was put in charge of making sure others come to their senses.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

20 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

So all objectivists are angry, bitter, evil people because one of them put something you don't like in his signature?

Thanks for providing evidence that supports my civility gap assertion.  Putting words in someone else’s mouth is usually done in an attempt to turn things in an uncivil direction - particularly when someone can’t come up with a civil and substantive response.  I won’t take the bait.  But thanks for helping to prove my point.

18 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Ah, right. It wasn't you who said this just a few hours ago. I imagined the whole thing, and the civility gap that this represents:

You are arguing in bad faith and the only reason I’m playing along is because of how closely your behavior aligns to a link I posted last night.  Wild.

28 minutes ago, plissken said:

And I'm here to tell you that I'm equally well versed on Computer Audio Systems having implemented AVB and AES67. We are talking 150 end points, a layer 2 diameter of 4 in some cases and round trip under 2ms. 

Wouldn’t noise be something passing along via layer 1?  

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

No, not related to plissken's credibility.

I’m pretty sure that he’s claimed that his years of experience in networking has informed his view that there’s no benefit an audiophile switch can do over any regular switch (my paraphrase - I can dig up quotes if needed).  He’s staked his reputation on this claim.  

1 minute ago, plissken said:

Indeed I have. Do you know anyone that will sit and listen to some music without know what switch is in play?

I would do it - providing that I could somehow switch off my innate instinct to feel pressure/stress when test results matter.

42 minutes ago, plissken said:

Because Ethernet RJE is heavily isolated it's all transformer coupled at both ends. Also the Ethernet clock is based at 25Mhz. WAAAAY outside of human hearing.  And if I'm doing optics there's no leakage currents. 

I've yet to see 60hz mains noise on properly implemented networks. 

There is one situation that can cause problems and that is with shielded cabling tied to switch. You can get ground loop hum. UTP is recommended. 

You mentioned seeing problems at level 1 only in one particular situation.  Have any of the devices connected to your networks been extra sensitive to noise?  Or has it just been the typical networking gear you’d find in a typical office or data center?

26 minutes ago, crenca said:

Not only this, objective truth must bow to the demands of personality and "livelihood", and if it does not well as @kennyb123says it is the very definition of "evil".  That's radical subjectivism philosophically and in practice.

I give @kennyb123the Golden Finger Wagging award for equating objective truth with "evil":

Above @joelha mentioned that "From what you've written, it's hard to believe you're commenting on my article."  Likewise I said no such thing, so either you have a reading comprehension problem or you are attempting to "deflect and attack".

A good description of "deflect and attack" I pulled from an article: 

Here, the goal is to shift attention from what they are saying and doing to what you are saying and doing, where they never have to take responsibility for their toxic behavior or address anything you’re saying.

If you bring something up that you don’t like or find to be untrue and problematic, instead of addressing it or taking responsibility for it, they will quickly deflect and go into attack mode. This means they will use their toxic tactics to quickly shift attention from themselves and bring up something that you may or may not have said or done. Often to the degree where they try to always keep you on the defense by accusing you of all sorts of stuff, some of which includes the things they are actually doing themselves.

And if you make a mistake of actually trying to address it, you will get distracted from the initial issue and soon become overwhelmed by all the stuff that now you are expected to address and clarify. And do so to a person who doesn’t care about understanding you and is dedicated to mischaracterizing you in order to dominate and “win an argument.”

On 12/9/2019 at 4:48 PM, Ralf11 said:

day-age works - i.e. it is outside the facts and so cannot be falsified (which is pretty much what faith is)

a literal day is ... entertainment

I has missed that you responded to something I wrote.  This is way off-topic, but I did want to mention that the day-age theory can most certainly be falsified.  All you need is conclusive evidence of a new animal species that appeared after man.  Hugh Ross in his book “A Matter of Days...” which was published in 2015, claimed that no such evidence has yet been found.   

Also I agree that the word “faith” has come to mean “outside” the facts, but that’s not what that word meant to the early Christians (or to me).  Quite the opposite, in fact.

But as I said, I’ve gone way off topic, so I apologize to the rest of you.

1 hour ago, crenca said:

You and @kennyb123are going to make me cry with your dreamers dream of "why we can't just get along"!  Well, not really 😉  I still think until there is an honest accounting of the real nature of subjectivism vs objectivism, then civility is going to be difficult.

I think you’re right.  I do think when we look at the real nature of objectivism we may find that persons who make broad sweeping generalizations like “there’s no way that audiophile power cords can improve the sound of your amplifier” shouldn’t really be called objectivists because they don’t seem inclined to apply data in a meaningfully objective way.