IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

One of the problems with running a forum is that it is no longer just like minded individuals trading information. There are people and machines whose job it is to influence internet users.  They are paid, or are programmed, to promote products or ideas that they have no real belief in.  They are simply following a script.  There are giant corporations now that are paid huge amounts to influence people.  These are who you may be arguing with.  It is no longer a matter of having a difference of opinion with someone.  It is a matter of someone wanting to sell you a product or an idea. It is no longer friendly conversation, it is business,  and the direction can get heated.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

But do you thing that's what's going on here? It doesn't appear to me that the arguments here have much to do with the commercial interests of the posters. Most are just hobbyists having a discussion. 

How many times did the MQA shills post the same inane and untrue bs talking points over and over?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

18 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

""Archimago carefully researched using scientifically valid methodologies. "

Not true. Archimago practices pseudoscience wherein he derives a conclusion, then sets out to prove that conclusion in advance by limiting the testing, and controlling the outcomes. Further, - he uses junk-ass test subjects and measuring equipment that is insufficient to to create a wide sampling of data that would refute, or (better) support those conclusions.

You cannot use purely objective, (especially cursory measurements), data on only one piece of equipment in a system to make a subjective PREDICTION on how a recording might sound.

"not doing your reputation as a "journalist" any good."

Who is a journalist? And what is the definition of a "journalist?" I am questioning whether or not you understand that no one who writes for Audiophile Magazines or writes reviews or product announcements for any type of music playback equipment is a "journalist:" but an audio "enthusiast." Think music or film reviewer.

Are you saying that Archimago's conclusions are not valid?  Seems like a number of people came to the same conclusions.

What shall we call people who write for audiophile magazines?  Salesmen?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

13 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

"Are you saying that Archimago's conclusions are not valid?"

Absolutely, 100%.

"What shall we call people who write for audiophile magazines?" 

Audio enthusiasts and Audio reviewers.

"Salesmen?"

not funny

Someone pissed in your Cheerios, hunh?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

We have the never ending subjectivist/objectivist argument.

Going back to the beginning of reproduced sound, which group was most responsible for bringing us to the current state of affairs.

I can just imagine:

Bell: "Come here Watson, I need you".

Watson: Wow! That sounds like shit".

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

10 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

is that your Keen Observation?

I think it pales in comparison to the 6 or 7 troll posters whoe are constantly venting their envy, and rage, against high performance audio manufacturers and the folks who are interested in improving the listening experience through better performing playback gear. Or otherwise, - whining on the internet....

"hunh?"

Is that darling? sweetie? or huh?

My guess is that something that Archimago posted cast shade on a product that you have a vested interest in.  Did you refute the claims on a scientific basis, or did you attempt to shoot the messenger?

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

53 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

And FD, I feel that you and a few others just don't understand what's at stake here. It seems so obvious to me. For the umpteenth time, my concern isn't who is right or wrong on the MQA question, but rather, the way we talk to each other about it. I assure you: I read every word of Archimago's analysis and was impressed; I'm no happier to see his abilities called into question than the integrity and competence of those in the pro-MQA camp—for example, people like my dear friend Peter McGrath.

I'd been reading Audiophile Style without posting—"lurking"—for months before Joel's editorial was published two days ago. I'm being genuine when I say that I'm tremendously impressed with Chris's decision to present it as he did, in a way that acknowledged the vital importance of the issue of civility. There's been an explosive response, mostly from two constituencies. The first is a large group of members that's as concerned as the OP about the manner in which a vocal minority attack those with different opinions than their own. The second are representatives of that minority who recognize themselves in Joel's essay and don't like the characterization. I can detect, from some of them, annoyance and even frank anger with The Computer Audiophile for publishing the editorial, viewing it as a kind a slap in the face.

I suppose it is. But it's a subject that needs addressing and that outpouring of reaction—more than 500 postings in two days!—is very telling. I'll try returning to lurking status and observe what I hope will be the growth of a corrective force.

Andrew Quint

Senior Writer

The Absolute Sound

Yes indeed.  The world would be so much more civilized if everyone just agreed with you.  You are, after all,  the Senior Writer for The Absolute Sound.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe you're hurting your own cause with little quips like this. At no point did he say anything like that and in fact said the opposite. 

I don't know if I have a cause other than hoping the MQA scam is never implemented.  There may indeed be uncivil people here, but I take offense to Mr Quints passive-aggressive lumping of everyone who disagrees with him as being uncivil. It is labeling.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook