IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Actually they don't measure close to the same at all.  In a myriad of ways.  So the measurements agree with the listening in this case.  I'm not claiming speaker measurements are a solved problem, but they'll detect an ESL from any box speaker. 

That’s an ad hominem.  The most frustrating of the replies.

There isn’t a measurement I know of that gets to the mechanics of speaker design and whether you prefer the box less (and balls-less imo) sound of an ESL vs. a sometimes boxy but more dynamic sound of drivers moving air.  I’m not talking spinorama stuff or the poor off axis response ESL’s are known for.

13 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Are you serious? A statement about speakers measuring differently is an ad hominem? I must be in an alternate universe, there's no other explanation :(

Yes, I never argued that ESL and dynamic driver speakers measure the same.  That is the literal definition of an ad hominem.

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

No. A literal definition of ad hominem is a personal attack in place of an argument about the subject. You were not attacked in any way that I can see by Dennis' statement.

image.png.d50a901da3411ff41594292c8f67709c.png

You are absolutely right, lol.  What in the hell was I trying to come up with, straw manning perhaps?  I don’t even know anymore!  Who gives a shit.

56 minutes ago, firedog said:

Well there are other alternatives to your example. There is Bluejeans cable and a couple of other online vendors who make quality cables of all types to order. More expensive than cheap clam shell stuff, but only tens of dollars instead of hundreds. BlueJeans even measures every cable to prove it 's up to spec and include the measurement with the shipment. No "silver" or "quantum" cables need apply. Based on stock like Belden and a few other reputable types. 

Blue Jeans cable also terminates and distributes the Belden Iconoclast cables which are very pricy compared to the standard offerings.  Who knows if they double dog blind tested them.

Fire up the pickup trucks boys, we’ve got another cross to burn.