IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

Just now, kennyb123 said:

There are plenty of opposing view expressed amongst the subjectivist side.  In fact, we welcome such views.  For example, some might argue a particular component sounds better with power supply A while another prefers power supply B - or one might prefer running AudioLinux while another prefers Euphony.  There's a recognition amongst this group that we each hear things differently and we each have different listening preferences.  There's no anger or bitterness.  These folks are just having fun...

... at least until the schoolyard bullies show up to try to spoil the fun by mocking us and demeaning us and repeated telling us that we can't be hearing what we're hearing - or that we are just pissing our money away. 

There's a civility gap - and until that can be acknowledged by the side behaving in uncivil manner, things will never get better.

Until you recognize to what degree this gap exists for both sides, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

41 minutes ago, Jud said:

Which is fine, and I've said as much in the EtherREGEN thread.

I'm happy with mine. Why should I need anyone else or even myself to believe I'm right in order to be happy? And why should anyone else have a need to prove I should not be?

Ha! So it's all about you then? ;) How about what I need to be happy? I need audio manufacturers to really try to improve the SOTA, to innovate in the space that actually makes a real and not imagined difference. Instead, I keep running into new products around better cables, de-crapifiers to de-crapify something that doesn't have any crap, and designer fuses with beeswax. I fondly remember the days when manufacturers really tried to build a better mouse trap. But hey, I guess I'm just an angry and bitter person, like Kennyb said :)Make Audio Great Again!!! :ph34r: Ooops! No political agenda intended, sorry...

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

I don't see Harman, for example, dropping out of the business. In fact, they're a rather large company. And you know I'm also quite scientifically curious about much that is involved with our hobby. So I don't think a small number of people with ideas that might be silly are going to really bother anyone, except those who want to be bothered.

Of course. That post was mostly in jest, Jud. I know for a fact that you are curious and willing to consider real evidence. Would be interesting to see how this site contributors break-down on a subjective vs. objective scale. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 100:1 :) 

Any AI/data-scientists here that want to do the research?

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

As I've said before, it's almost like you think "real" innovation is inversely proportional to "snake oil." If we have more of one we can't have more of the other. I believe you can get all you of both.

If the market consistently demands fixes for non-existent problems (USB cables, decrapifiers, linear power supplies, ethernet filters, better sounding fuses, grounding boxes, "improved" DC cables, etc), companies will oblige. As you say the ratio is 100:1 here for subjectivists. The majority that's driving the demand is interested in products solving problems that are mostly imagined rather than seeking real innovation.

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have no other way to describe the objectivist interjections at every point, other than a crusade to save people, stop others from making money on what they see is wrong, a fear of the anti-science agenda, hatred of those they don't agree with, and other things. 

I'm curious why you keep bringing this up in response to my posts. If you feel that I'm interfering with too many threads here on AS, I'm perfectly willing to go elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You can't honestly believe yourself on that can you? Do you really think any of the manufacturers fro which you purchase equipment are going to stop engineering efforts toward innovation and start producing as you call them "decrapifiers?" 

I can honestly say that I believe this wholeheartedly. Innovation has slowed down to a crawl with much junk and unnecessary devices/enhancements being introduced all the time. As Mans said, true innovation is very hard to find in the noise.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

In the area of digital audio, right? And has it since slowed because some smaller manufacturers put out some products you feel are questionable (and some I certainly do too), or because we are at a pretty good place now? To reiterate my question, what assaults on the state of the art do you believe remain to be made with products such as amps, DACs, and audio files?

Proper multi-channel audio, starting with the recording and ending with the speaker/DSP system would be my ultimate wish. Two-channel stereo is a compromise we no longer have to or need to tolerate as it will never be capable of realistic sound reproduction.

Just now, Jud said:

And you think the major corporations that would have to be involved in such an effort aren't doing so because a few people bought beeswax fuses?

Why do you keep bringing up major corporations? These rarely cater to the tiny audiophile market. Mass consumer-oriented companies rarely care about improving SQ, about getting better, more realistic sound reproduction. Give the masses an iPhone with MP3 playback, with some wireless ear-buds and they'll be happy. 

Meanwhile, audiophiles are seeking out hires files at ridiculous DSD rates, DACs with 768kHz+ PCM sampling, minimum phase filters, better USB and ethernet cables, and other junk that doesn't translate into anything meaningful beyond a very tiny, placebo-type improvement. And no, it's not just the subjectivists that are doing this. The ASR crowd looking for lower and lower SINAD numbers is doing the same thing, just pursuing a different dead-end.

15 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I ask this question:  do any of us also partake in other technically complex hobby's forums (automotive, astronomy, etc etc) that act significantly poorer than their older days counterparts used to?  I would guess a big YES.

For astronomy forums, that's a big NO. In fact, it's gotten much better since the end of the century. But then, I run a number of them, so I guess it's all due to my amazing moderator skills ;) The reality is I don't need to moderate any of my forums, I may jump in a few times a year to get a discussion back on track, but that's about it. 

Audio forums didn't get better, I'm afraid, but I wouldn't say they got much worse from around the same period. I recall similar fights and arguments, just as heated, from the 90s.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe facts are facts and opinions are opinions. The issue I usually have is when facts or data are used in a manner that uses opinion to justify use of the facts and when conclusions are reached that don't follow the facts. In this way the conclusions are opinions based on facts, but the facts don't add up. 

I have no data to back up my opinion, but I'm willing to bet most people here understand the facts as presented by those smart enough to know them, but they disagree with the application of the facts and conclusions reached. 

In the absence of knowledge or understanding of the subject matter, any fact can sound like an opinion. There's nothing to distinguish one from the other except for the support and agreement from a like-minded group or from some questionable authority figure. The reason I say 'questionable' is that in the absence of knowledge or understanding, there is little basis for deciding who is and who is not a real authority.  And that's how opinions become facts in the minds of many. Science defines a different process for determining facts. As I said much earlier in the thread, not all opinions are the same. How you arrive at the opinion matters.

15 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Sounds great I think I'll head over there. Why is it so different on astronomy forums? less room for 'subjectivity'.. ?

It's that to some degree. I joke that amateur astronomers spend most of the clear nights outside, with a telescope, getting little to no sleep. They are exhausted and have no energy to argue and fight on forums during the day :) The hobby is extremely technical and more than frequently -- humbling, so folks help each other whenever they can and rely on building a common knowledge and understanding as a community.

There are always some strong subjective opinions, and even snake oil, but these are easily found out and rarely tolerated.

9 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Thanks for the update, food for thought.. without being politically incorrect can you tell what the demographic is ? Cheers

Similar demographic to audiophiles. Maybe a bit older on average, age spans from early 20s to mid 80s. Average, without any real data to back this up, I'd say around 60. Predominantly male. World-wide.