IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

1 hour ago, HiFiHeard said:

"I like this, and it's OK if you don't like it."

I think that is a different issue.  Preferences are fine, tho worthy of discussion.  e.g. I can discuss or explain why I like some tube sound (but not too much); same for why I like the visual esthetic of Accuphase gear (panel layout and color combo), or the ergonomics of older Audio Research gear (the knobs & switches) - BTW I own The latter but not the former brand.

Likewise I can explain why I prefer certain tradeoffs over others (e.g. why I switched from Vandersteen to Magneplanar - it took 3-4 months of intensive listening every night...)

But what one likes with respect to SQ is not what is involved when someone is responding to to factors that do not affect SQ.  And that is why people od actual listening tests - to rule out extraneous factors.

Now, if someone likes the look of component A enough to accept a lower SQ than for the 'uglier' component B, that is different.  And I'm fine with that choice, but they can expect some contradictory posts if they make a claim that simply cannot be true, or is highly, highly unlikely.

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Let’s all try to be civilized human being talking about entertainment. 

day-age works - i.e. it is outside the facts and so cannot be falsified (which is pretty much what faith is)

a literal day is ... entertainment

1 hour ago, joelha said:

I'm afraid of nothing on this forum.

Apparently, you get offended when you're confronted with a calm, rational article you disagree with.

If you think there's parity between that and calling specific people dishonest, then our view of reality is very different.

Joel

I certainly do not find your article calm or rational.

It's been a few days, so would you look at it again and see if you don't think it is just a tad over the top?

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When I go out to eat, sometimes I just want to eat a good meal without worrying about how the lettuce was grown, if the workers are paid well, etc... It's all about having a time and place for everything. 

So, the wait staff don't tell you the name of the chicken you are served?

(Portlandia joke)

1 hour ago, christopher3393 said:

Just an FYI: There is no such term as "radical subjectivism" in philosophy or any other academic field or significant thinker that I have been able to find in several years of occasionally researching this. It is, in my opinion, a fabrication of a forum member here, yet it is used as if it were a recognized concept. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be pointed to the sources I've missed.

But I strongly suspect it is b.s. If this member would like to share his background in study that led him to this, we could discuss his interpretations of these sources. My best guess is that they rely on a reading of a theological movement called "Radical Orthodoxy". If anyone wants to look into it, I suspect they'll find some similarities.

When it comes to this kind of grand cultural criticism that this member engages, I do wonder if his background and experience is sufficient to be making such strong claims about what members and the owner/moderator need to do to get woke.

Apologies for the OT.

How hard did you look?

https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783319438764

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Similar demographic to audiophiles. Maybe a bit older on average, age spans from early 20s to mid 80s. Average, without any real data to back this up, I'd say around 60. Predominantly male. World-wide.

more likely to own a tent, camper, RV, tripod, camera system...