IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

45 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Why did audio stop being about DACs and AMPs?

Some people didn't get that cable......

Have learned alot about how knife sharpening sounds in Audio.

Power is important... especially as fuses can blow easily.

Cross overs don't work in reality or non reality and speakers can be loud, harsh and get easily distorted. No matter how solid a foundation they rest on.

Lots more puns but you get the point and I say again you learn more about people than audio on a forum...

More suprised we haven't got to this point and closed the thread......

......Chris Pickins

Slim.jpg

In life 90% of the time I try and give an answer in the most holistic, rounded way i can think of, drawing on my  experiences, limited knowledge and hypotheticals with the most positive outcome.

90% of the time people don't want advice.. Just reassurance of what they have already decided 3 days ago....

For me knowing this takes away the frustration as a normal act of human nature.  I have a collection of items unused, making me just as blind to my initial desires.

A thousand warnings about a kick in the nuts... The real lesson is learned after the fact.... What the fancy term? 'Operant  conditioning' ? 

Ironic after the initial 'pain' at the start, whats left is interesting intelligent debate, so thank you for broadening my horizons gents, always a pleasure and a pleasant suprise.

Sorry i can't add much than uneducated school boy humour.

Have a lovely weekend all

Dave 

Are fuse's still an issue or moved from the Harry potter side/ box of magic beans of audio? 

The electronics EEC designers in work looked at me like i'd grown a new head and quite rightly.

I tried one before for fun and noticed a change 2 years on... second hand one just in.. fantastic but its just a fuse. My only concern always is that it doesn't sound like a fireman kicking the door in. 

These guys scream of pseudoscience marketing crap for scientologist rejects...

Not done a Amir special and A B' using 25 blind electronics engineers but enough that I can't reconcile that this has done the most to enhance my listening pleasure. Whats more the Ebay seller described to a Tee the exact changes before it arrived...

But kept my mouth shut the first time as bias and just in my head like the voice that said spend £100 on a bloody fuse... more money means better and be belittled..

But i am trapped with sub/obj dogma as the IFI gear measures well and is published but more than less had little effect for a modest price. 

I am a subjectivist by default because its all i have but the paradox of having 'faith' in a highly educated engineer in thier field telling me otherwise because i am not and i should.

So the bullshit filter failed me and cost me. Trust from experience won... 

But a dilemma many it seems are trapped between... well at least me... 

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

let me get this straight - the F word is not allowed, but this is?

Hi Ralf i hope this was taken in its context.. that even published figures or outlandish claims of synergistic research, I cling to people like your good self to interpret what I don't understand. 

Published results can be as much BS as nano quantum tunneling marketing babble.

But i cant lock Amir in my basement as my personal measurements gimp if I fancy spending money. I can't verify facts that are verifiable and i am back to try before you buy if i am lucky.

Piggy in the middle and people who try to help on both sides are attacked regardless as not qualified enough... Golden Ears or letters after thier name.

But i very much appreciate your help regardless..😁

All this at best... hopefully Shepparding me in the right direction with the tag line caveat emptor...

Yes of course but its reading this from many other 3rd party descriptions. 

Oh.. Increasing expectation and positive bias 🤔...

yes but its the best i can do to avoid the  payed advert shill factor as some put it..others  personal experience..

but.... then i am just in the mass delusion crowd feeding of each other giving credence to the product.... Cos its just a fuse...

As any one who knows ohms law knows its a con, 30 miles of 40,000v cabling...

and i know there is a lot of money made from the unsuspecting... 

Don

You can see the merry go round you can be trapped in with no way off. 

Better or worse there has been a change for me. My hearing hasn't changed, things are there that werent, different from subtle changes forgotten in moments.

Like a baby suddenly crying in a crowd, different from concentrating on one conversation in a noisy room .... i can list what has changed with all my gear from nothing to quite substantial. .

I use a fuse as a personal example and many here in some degree feel aggrieved for one thing or another.. that next best thing... i have personally.

Interesting Schitt doing the taste test on discreet v off the shelf, proving a point and to a degree with measurements don't matter if.. implementation or human preference. That can be rigged though..

Thanks for making me think Don if that was the implication of "foreknowledge".. All true but again i am caught in making the most informed choice i can, risking my money and having a listen.

60% objective reasoning 40% subjective listening, the fuse was against this rough principle of mine..

Sorry its a thread not a book club i am rambling...

Even if money wasn't a factor the same applies i suppose.  

I did ask to have something tested in work but no joy.

I am only posting as an example of the middle ground and find very little to argue with. I  am not even an expert at finding my ass with both hands..

Op statement: i dont think anything changed, its the reproduction of sound, we are just more cognizant of what it takes to get there and all that it implies...

Cheers my friend

Dave

A stupid question but one i have never had answered.

If the measurements don't show a meaningful change but the listener can hear/perceive a change.. why not measure the sound output, not the measurement of the device post DAC. 

That is what is being subjectively measured by the listener.  A microphone and speaker dont move, the test track doesn't change.  If he can hear a change it has or hasnt been from the variable.

The nasal passage/eustachian tube isnt dry, he isnt fidgeting, mass deluded bias, affected my moon rays.

Sorry I tease but the sound is the common denominator, measure that and the human variable can be discounted. Or confirmed ? Not better just a change occured..

Then plot of the sound will or not be differen't and much more palatable to the average subjectivist as objective factual change...

Human AB.ing doesnt do this..