IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

8 minutes ago, Jud said:

@mansr may despair of finding adequate cables, but I've had no such difficulty; just bought some nice light flexible Monoprice Ethernet cables from Amazon, recommended here by a “subjectivist.”

Good for you. In my experience, Amazon is always something of a gamble. Even when buying a familiar brand, you have zero assurance that you're not getting a fake product. Granted, your odds are better than on Ebay, but it's still not great. Buying from Monoprice directly isn't a sane option in Europe as they want nearly $40 in shipping for a $3 cable (checked just now).

Now I wouldn't say I "despair" when it comes to cables. I am able to procure what I need. I'd still much prefer if I could simply pop into the store (it's a 5-minute walk) and get them. That I can't is a direct result of the snake oil infestation in the audio industry.

7 minutes ago, joelha said:

Please name s single line or paragraph you find as offensive or even close to being as offensive as if I made a personal negative reference about you.

The entire article is little more than a parade of insults and accusations directed at a caricature of those you disagree with. You didn't name anyone explicitly, but you didn't need to. We all know who you had in mind.

My question to you (and Chris) is, what are you so afraid of?

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Pot, meet kettle.

Among a couple dozen other posts with mostly factually incorrect things you said about our new product, there was this gem you wrote specifically about John Swenson (who designed the power networks inside large, sophisticated chips for 3 decades). You wrote:

That's the thing with anyone selling such products. They must be either incompetent or dishonest. There are no other options. Oh wait, they could be both.

Sadly, the above barely makes it into the top 10 insults hurled at us recently over in that uncivil and intellectually uncurios place.

Yes, I said that, but don't flatter yourself. It applies equally to John Swenson, Gordon Rankin, Ted Denney, and anyone else making/selling devices that demonstrably do nothing.

5 minutes ago, joelha said:

I'm afraid of nothing on this forum.

Apparently, you get offended when you're confronted with a calm, rational article you disagree with.

If you think there's parity between that and calling specific people dishonest, then our view of reality is very different.

Take a look in the mirror:

What bothers me most is reputations are attacked so casually. Everyone from Chris Connaker (one of the most decent people I’ve known in the industry) to reviewers and manufacturers are accused of lying, cheating and taking bribes. People, whom I suspect in most cases haven’t even heard the product they’re attacking, will smear the reputations of others they probably don’t know. Those who are attacked rely on their reputations to earn a living. That’s to say nothing of the personal attacks on the listeners themselves. And the attackers attack anonymously. Unless the case is black and white i.e. I sent you money and you never shipped my product or there are repeated, unresolved product defects, trying to ruin a person’s name is evil. Nothing will undo a person’s life faster and more effectively than giving him a bad reputation. And doing it anonymously and without hard evidence is cowardly and arrogant. In such cases, it’s highly likely the charge is far more unethical than the action being charged.

Those are some pretty strong accusations.

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

Well there are other alternatives to your example. There is Bluejeans cable and a couple of other online vendors who make quality cables of all types to order. More expensive than cheap clam shell stuff, but only tens of dollars instead of hundreds. BlueJeans even measures every cable to prove it 's up to spec and include the measurement with the shipment. No "silver" or "quantum" cables need apply. Based on stock like Belden and a few other reputable types. 

BlueJeans are also not a viable option in Europe due to shipping costs.

20 minutes ago, wgscott said:
1 hour ago, mansr said:

I'd say lying is making a statement contrary to what one believes to be true.

What if one believes something false to be true?

Then stating the opposite is still (morally) a lie, even though the statement itself is (factually) true.

20 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I think there has to be intent to mislead or deceive.

Sure, it could be sarcasm.