IGNORED

A/B Speaker Switch?

TubeLover

Question

I have a situation where I want to be able to switch from one pair of speakers to another while connected to the same amplifier. I recall years ago being told, by a number of people in audio who

I respected, saying that there was nothing available that would not negatively affect the sound. Is that still true, or are there quality solutions available? Hopefully reasonably priced. One would think this was possible in this day and age. Thank you for any help with this.

JC

20 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

I have a situation where I want to be able to switch from one pair of speakers to another while connected to the same amplifier. I recall years ago being told, by a number of people in audio who

I respected, saying that there was nothing available that would not negatively affect the sound. Is that still true, or are there quality solutions available? Hopefully reasonably priced. One would think this was possible in this day and age. Thank you for any help with this.

JC

Hi JC, I believe this is possible now. A friend had one of these made for him and said it was transparent. This guy is a stickler if there ever was one. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, mitchco said:

Here is one, maybe too expensive? https://avahifi.com/products/abx-switch-comparator

Maybe you just want a switch box? Parts Express may have a simpler one...

Thanks, but yes, quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. I really just need a switch box that does not deteriorate the perfoemance.  I'll certainly check Parts Express in hopes they have one available, although I won't know whether it presents any sonic limitations.

JC

I'm using this to switch my subwoofers from HT to 2 channel.  Though I can't say how transparent it is...

https://www.amazon.com/ONE-Little-Bear-Balanced-Converter/dp/B00OY0TBMA

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

16 hours ago, TubeLover said:

It took me a while to locate someone who had that switch for sale, but I did find one, somewhat unknown company selling it. Any idea of what you can expect in terms of performance/quality? 

JC

That’s a passive unit so I am not sure what’s inside. Wouldn’t be surprised to see just wires with two way switch. At $50, buy and replace with Cardas IC, gold wires and should be transparent enough. IMO, if you need a ABX to decide which is better than it is safe to assume that both are good and they have their fan base. 

11 hours ago, marce said:

Not without looking at how its switched, most will use a relay as the examples above do...

Unfortunately, most do not use relays. Ideally you need to use heavy duty relays which will require a connection to the A/C. mains to power them

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

A local DIY person could quite easily make a suitable unit, but the small quantity price of the components would result in it being more expensive than the inferior switchboxes.
 All it would take is a suitable voltage DC plugpack, a toggle switch on the front panel  to operate a heavy duty Double Pole, Double Throw (DPDT) relay of the same voltage as the plugpack, and with something like 10A rated contacts,  8 gold plated Banana Sockets and a suitable cheap case of either plastic or metal. 

It would be configured so that the normally used speakers were connected through with the toggle switch in the Off position off so that the relay was not energised .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Beauty of this situation is noise generated from added equipment would be next to nothing, cause of the low impedance from the power amplifier.

Agree with @sandyk with a suitable relay, 10A should be plenty, most can switch 230V ac with no issue so 24-120V speaker voltage is fine.  

To prevent oxidation, find a two c/o relay with silver contacts, less voltage drop across the contacts as well, however small relays have rather limited current capability, just depends on the relay. Add a 4A diode across the coil (Anode to -Ve on the relay) to prevent turn off spike. Recommend 12V relay as they are common as well as PSUs for them.

A DIY solution will still take some effort as drilling out the box for the connectors takes a bit of time. my guess with some care would take a day or more, finding the drill bits or holesaws may take a great deal of that time up let alone procuring the parts.

Find it odd that there's only one output on the power amp, must be an exception, even a lot of Vintage amps have 2 sets of switchable speaker terminals.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

36 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Beauty of this situation is noise generated from added equipment would be next to nothing, cause of the low impedance from the power amplifier.

For completeness you could also fit an LED on the front panel (connected the right way around) across the relay coil via a suitable value series resistor.

A_B%20Speaker%20Switch.jpg