plissken

UpTone EtherRegen measured. It's a switch.

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, plissken said:

Amir was able to get a unit to bench and the testing looks conclusive that it's not capable of doing anything more than a typical $60 switch.

The streamer he used has enough buffer to allow the swapping out of cables without breaking playback.

Here is one measurement up to 90Khz and showing no deviation vs a TP-Link switch. This is noise test so no tone is playing. Just looking at the Streamer noise floor.

matrix-audio-element-i-with-uptone-ether

In October a similar switch measurements are performed on Alpha Audio with a similar test outcome (a). But... Last weekend a blind test with 7 switch scenarios (not the EtherRegen) is performed by Alpha Audio using a panel with 9 random readers of the site, result show that a difference is audible (b).

Google translated summary:

”As you can see the differences are small. But not to be ignored. A good switch brings an audible difference in tranquility and sophistication. But…. make sure your set - and acoustics - is in order. Only then does it make sense. If the basis is not good, we strongly recommend that you first arrange it. That also applies to cables, by the way.”

So I’m afraid the test you mention only tells half the truth. Do you know if a (random panel) blind test is being organised, to also have practical (actual hearing) data points? I reckon it is very relevant. (When ie buying a car I would care less about the specifications, the actual experience is more important, two 180 bhp spec cars can be totally different).

ps Personally I would appreciate another tone of voice in some posts 

(a)

https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpha-audio.nl%2Fachtergrond%2Fmeten-aan-een-audiofiele-switch-deel-2%2F

(b)

https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpha-audio.nl%2Freview%2Fzeven-switches-voor-streaming-audio-getest-blind%2F

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps Amir is financially backed by plissken who can afford to do so ,due to all the  bets that he has won with Audiophiles  ? :)

Perhaps yes but it really does not matter. If you think that there is something obviously wrong in Amir's testing methodology just point it out! By the way, I am completely missing the context of this thread: who are Amir and plissken?  

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

It's a theory that isn't backed up. "Well explained" - not really. Explanations that sound good and logical, but haven't been shown to actually work in reality.  It would seem that Uptone or other larger manufacturers like SoTM could come up with not just explanations, but measurements that show their explanations and theories to be true. If there is "less overall jitter", why can't they show it actually happening at the DAC output? Jitter isn't some unmeasureable small nuclear force that we don't know how to measure without a CERN like setup.

What I know that I've enjoyed my music much more since I added the ER. You, on the other hand, won't get to enjoy that SQ bump for a while, as it behooves you to enjoy only improvements in sound that can be measured. 

Prey, wonder who's better off...While I'll be off to enjoy SoundCloud. 

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]

10 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Now one thing I do know is that if I want to compare 2 cars I don’t do it by parking them next to each other, starting them up, allow them to idle, stick a sound level meter up each exhaust and when I get the same 83dB from each, conclude that they’re the same.  But that seems to be what’s going on here, or am I mistaken?

Exactly, I wonder how some people buy their car, beer, coffee, etc.. 🤔

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Now one thing I do know is that if I want to compare 2 cars I don’t do it by parking them next to each other, starting them up, allow them to idle, stick a sound level meter up each exhaust and when I get the same 83dB from each, conclude that they’re the same.  But that seems to be what’s going on here, or am I mistaken?

What's going on here is more like "If I want to compare the sound signature of 2 cars, I go by parking them in an anechoic chamber, starting them up, allow them to idle, and stick a measuring mic up each exhaust, and when I get the same 83dB and frequency distribution, conclude that they sound the same". Or am I mistaken ?

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Comparison that's irrelevant to the issue at hand....

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)