IGNORED

UpTone EtherRegen measured. It's a switch.

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

From reading this thread (and similar ones) all I can glean is that Amir made some measurements, concluded that the ER is no different from a less expensive model and therefore those who try it and say it makes a noticeable difference are being fooled or are imagining the improvement.  
Not very scientific and full of bias and presumption. 

Sorry, but which part of the posted measurements is biased and presumptuous?

1 minute ago, opus101 said:

I don't have a view on what he should have done without knowing his intention. If I were the one testing the ER I'd not be using an AP on the output of an attached DAC, perhaps an SA (spectrum analyser) with tracking generator would be a starting point.

How is attaching an AP to an audio output of a device the wrong thing to do (or presumptuous, as you stated), since that's exactly how it's designed to be used?

4 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Sorry, I can't follow you here - in particular the 'exactly how....used?' part. You're saying the AP is designed to be used like this? Yes an AP is designed to test DACs (amongst other things). Or is the 'it' referring to the ER? In which case yes the ER is designed to connect to a DAC but not designed to connect to a DAC solely connected to an AP, rather a DAC going on to an amp or pre-amp then amp. System details do matter and Amir's system wasn't representative of a typical use case.

So are you saying that without having a preamp, amp, speakers in the circuit the effect of ER cannot be detected? 

9 minutes ago, opus101 said:

A DAC's output can be quite different depending on what its connected to. By 'output' though I don't just mean its normal mode (signal) output (that likely won't change) but its common mode output, which will vary according to the common mode impedance presented to its output terminals. This isn't any fault of the DAC itself.

This is a test that can also be conducted -- with a full complement of equipment in a typical system. Doesn't negate the measurements results already posted, but there's a chance that isolation before the DAC may have some effect downstream of the DAC... or not.

Just now, luisma said:

Amir's methodology might be flawed since he is only playing tones and common sense makes me to concur with them as I kind of think the same based on previous testing he (Amir) have done with other products.

Common sense can lead you astray. "Only playing tones" is exactly what a DAC does when playing music. There's nothing wrong with testing using "tones".

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I agree 100%. 

While he is likely not attempting to conduct rigorous tests, his believers certainly use his results as definitive answers and ammunition with which to assassinate anyone who isn't in the cult. OK, maybe that's a bit too harsh. However, the measurements at ASR are created to be used as weapons against those who Amir doesn't have business or personal relationships with. 

You will never see Amir measure  a current production Berkeley Audio Design product, compare it to a $100 DAC that measures equally as good, and excoriate Berkeley Audio Design. It won't happen. Those who admire his work should ask him why he is playing favorites, publishing results that only effect people that aren't in his inner circle. 

Chris, your words reveal your bias and you are making some very personal allegation agains Amir. Care to back these up with facts?

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm not sure what facts I can reveal, but people can put some of the dots together by looking at the evidence that's public. If your company helps Amir make money your products won't be talked about in the same vein and won't have a subjective slime wrapped around the measurements. 

Seriously, start by asking him why he hasn't measured the Berkeley Audio Design current production products and compared them to his list of inexpensive products. He certainly has access to the products. He was and still may be a dealer for them. He is friends with Michael Ritter from way back in the Pacific Microsonics / Microsoft acquisition days. 

Ever wonder why he is a big supporter of MQA? The dots are there to be connected. They revolve around money and friendships. 

Why does this matter? Because it's the tip of the iceberg and oozes into everything done over there. 

Smells a little like the basement of the pizza parlor incident @Jud referred to earlier. Those involved also just "connected the dots". 

But as @mansr said, attacking an individual (even if it's well deserved) does not do anything to negate measurement results. All it does is demonstrate that those attacking have nothing better to counter real evidence. Chris, you asked for the "discussion based on information" and then share these conspiracy theories against Amir. Does that even make sense?

41 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I gave you some facts that you ignored. Not even close to conspiracy theories. 

You seem to be in the THD+N crowd. All measurements exist in a vacuum and must be taken at face value. The world is black and white. This isn't a personal attack, just an observation that you can help backup or refute. 

Conspiracy theory about me this time? :) I think it's important to stick to the facts, Chris, and not to make assumptions about individuals. This is where most of these threads get derailed, IMHO.

I'm in no crowd. In fact, I'm in the "prove it to me" crowd. Look at my signature and check out the Distort tool I started building recently. It's designed to answer exactly the question of what levels of THD, and THD+N are audible. Do you think I'd waste my time building tools like DeltaWave and Distort if I didn't want to see real proof, real evidence instead of these constant appeals to authority and to the opinion of the crowd that dominate the discussion here? (and to a significant degree on ASR, as well)