IGNORED

Article: Lumin X1 Review

Thanks for the detailed answer!

Seems we are in the same park, I too enjoy the analog setup more than digital. ;)

Don’t go the MSB route, their DAC’s sound mighty fine but not analog and you’ll be disapointed again.

I would suggest you keep your actual setup since it’s excellent and just enjoy the music!

In fact, you helped me a lot! I won’t look to upgrade to X1 from my Linn Selekt DSM, I’ll try to improve my analog setup instead! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased an X1 and have a Lampi Big 7. I keep on comparing each DAC and I have to say that I am enjoying the X1 immensely as both a DAC and streamer. I didn’t imagine it would be as weighty or as musical as the Lampi but I’m happily surprised it is. Very impressive DAC besides being an excellent streamer. And the optical set up is noticeably more quiet than straight Ethernet cable into the DAC. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris,

I'm late to the game but really enjoyed your review. An acquaintance is telling me that the X1 can be an endgame for me and so that is how I got here. See my background below.

No one asked, but can you tell me how the X1 compares to the W20SE? Both in usability and sound quality? I've never had the chance to audition Lumin and wondering if the GUI is as easy to use as Aurender?

Background, I'm an N10 user for the last 4 years. System is TAD E1 speakers with matching M2500 amp and C2000 pre/DAC. The SQ I'm getting now is pretty sublime and musical, not bleached or bright, so I don't need to make a change but do feel I can scale up with better components. So I'm thinking of going to the N20, but have been assured by three different people I should get a new DAC as that would be a much better move. One person said that the X1 will easily best the TAD DAC + N10. So that's why I'm asking about the W20SE; I know it is not nearly apples to apples. If I had more funds, I'd just scale up to a top flight DAC and server, but alas, I don't. So I'm looking for a value proposition. And this X1 may be just that. I would appreciate any comments or insight you would provide.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

2 minutes ago, Pokey77 said:

Hi Chris,

I'm late to the game but really enjoyed your review. An acquaintance is telling me that the X1 can be an endgame for me and so that is how I got here. See my background below.

No one asked, but can you tell me how the X1 compares to the W20SE? Both in usability and sound quality? I've never had the chance to audition Lumin and wondering if the GUI is as easy to use as Aurender?

Background, I'm an N10 user for the last 4 years. System is TAD E1 speakers with matching M2500 amp and C2000 pre/DAC. The SQ I'm getting now is pretty sublime and musical, not bleached or bright, so I don't need to make a change but do feel I can scale up with better components. So I'm thinking of going to the N20, but have been assured by three different people I should get a new DAC as that would be a much better move. One person said that the X1 will easily best the TAD DAC + N10. So that's why I'm asking about the W20SE; I know it is not nearly apples to apples. If I had more funds, I'd just scale up to a top flight DAC and server, but alas, I don't. So I'm looking for a value proposition. And this X1 may be just that. I would appreciate any comments or insight you would provide.

Hi Pokey, what an enjoyable journey you’re on. All great options. 

There are many variables at play here and if this/then that mixtures of components and component types. The first thing that comes to my mind is the difference in how Aurender and Lumïn operate. I know this may seem backward, as many people start with sound quality then look at the other items. However, both companies make fantastic products. 

Aurender, as you know from experience, is a self contained, very controlled component / environment. All storage is internal and music just goes from the drive to the output. Network is used for control and streaming only. 

Lumïn, for the most part, is a UPnP device taking advantage of something like MinimServer running on a NAS. Lumin also has more models with DACs. 

Support from both companies is great. 

you should also think about having everything in one component like Lumïn or splitting the digital from analog like Aurender and your DAC. No wrong way to do it. 

I’m a big fan of your speakers, but less so the components. I had CR1s for many years. We all have different tastes though, no right or wrong. I think you could do better than the C2000 for sure. I’d take an X1 over the C2000 any day of the week. I’d also take an N20 and T+A DAC 200, a combination I have in my system right now. 

I’m unsure the requirements to drive your amps direct from a DAC versus a preamp though. There are specs of course, then there are real life and personal preference. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png