IGNORED

Article: Lumin X1 Review

1 hour ago, rossb said:

Very good review, Chris.

Did you happen top compare the RCA and XLR outputs? How does the X1 compare with the DCS Rossini listed in the Associated Equipment?

Thanks Ross. My system is all XLR so I just never use RCA terminated cabled. The X1 isn't up to the level of the Rossini in terms of absolute resolution but for some listeners the X1 will be more engaging. I highly recommend people listen to both head to head. 

1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I had a quick look at the article, saw your crucify yourself choice of room target curve and lost any interest in reading whatever you might say. I caught the word analog though, guess that anything taming your crucify yourself room target curve will be a relief.

I have no idea what you just said. 

30 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Great review, couldn’t agree more. I’ve heard the X1 head to head against a dcs Bartok, and to my ears the Lumin is the clear winner.

Chris, you should definitely check out Patty Griffin’s catalog. She is the finest songwriter this country has produced in the last 25 years in my opinion (and many other’s).

Thanks SB. The X1 and Bartok would be an interesting listen. Two very different sonic signatures and design philosophies. This is part of the fun. Finding what meets one's needs best. 

3 minutes ago, CMB said:

This review makes me wanna try Lumin before I buy myself a new Dac/streamer

Within this pricepoint I am thinking about dCS Bartok, MSB discrete and now Lumin x1

Hi CMB, excellent. This is exactly what I want people to think after reading the review. Nobody should walk away thinking I'm the Minister of Information and that my opinion is what should be used for purchases. The X1 and the Bartok are two pieces I'd look at very hard and listen to in your own system if you can. It shouldn't take too long to make a decision once you hear them in your system. They sound different. I'm sure you will prefer one over the other.

I just hope you don't like the Bartok for one type of music and the X1 for another :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Wow. Nice work on the calibrated speaker response, Chris!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - looking forward to seeing more of your sound room and the treatments you've installed in that challenging space!

One beef I've had over the years with many reviewers has been the lack of transparency as to how the review rooms look like. The fact that you've been open with pictures of the room and showing things like the frequency response is great to see Chris.

Thanks Archimago. I figure that the more information I can provide to readers, the better they can evaluate my evaluation of components. 

A reviewer suggesting a component has great bass, while his room is +20 dB at 100 Hz, is a disservice if he doesn’t disclose that spike in frequency. 

I was originally just going to publish my room response without any correction. That is until I heard what correction can do. 

Lastly, enabling and disabling this DSP is done with the press of a button. I’m not locked into using it if I suspect something isn’t right. Also, I give myself sanity checks frequently by A/B’ing the sound and listening to it both ways. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, Gus141 said:

@The Computer Audiophile nice review. I was wondering if your X1 and the external power supply have markings for US standards compliance (e.g., UL, and FCC). I know the LUMIN products I have seen have “CE” labels on the bottom of the units, but that is a self-certifying standard. Pictures of the internal switching power supplies for the less expensive LUMIN products don’t have any certification/testing markings in the pictures I’ve seen either.

Just curious because I have a LUMIN U1 Mini always plugged in and there are no US safety and compliance markings on the product. I’m assuming the importer/distributer could produce proof of compliance in order to resell in the US.

Here you go.

X1.jpeg

PSU.jpeg

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, further said:

Chris,

Did you possibly do any testing of using the LUMIN X1 output USB to your owned DACs?  I am curious as to your opinion of the LUMIN X1 would compare to the Signature Rendu SE Optical to your other DAC units as a  streaming rendering device.  I understand price points are much different and doing so would bypass the fine DAC of the X1, but am trying to find some comparison of how these differ in presentation.

Thanks in advance 

Good question. I didn't do this because I just didn't see the use case being very popular. That said, I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinions if they've tried this. 

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, Pokey77 said:

Hi Chris,

I'm late to the game but really enjoyed your review. An acquaintance is telling me that the X1 can be an endgame for me and so that is how I got here. See my background below.

No one asked, but can you tell me how the X1 compares to the W20SE? Both in usability and sound quality? I've never had the chance to audition Lumin and wondering if the GUI is as easy to use as Aurender?

Background, I'm an N10 user for the last 4 years. System is TAD E1 speakers with matching M2500 amp and C2000 pre/DAC. The SQ I'm getting now is pretty sublime and musical, not bleached or bright, so I don't need to make a change but do feel I can scale up with better components. So I'm thinking of going to the N20, but have been assured by three different people I should get a new DAC as that would be a much better move. One person said that the X1 will easily best the TAD DAC + N10. So that's why I'm asking about the W20SE; I know it is not nearly apples to apples. If I had more funds, I'd just scale up to a top flight DAC and server, but alas, I don't. So I'm looking for a value proposition. And this X1 may be just that. I would appreciate any comments or insight you would provide.

Hi Pokey, what an enjoyable journey you’re on. All great options. 

There are many variables at play here and if this/then that mixtures of components and component types. The first thing that comes to my mind is the difference in how Aurender and Lumïn operate. I know this may seem backward, as many people start with sound quality then look at the other items. However, both companies make fantastic products. 

Aurender, as you know from experience, is a self contained, very controlled component / environment. All storage is internal and music just goes from the drive to the output. Network is used for control and streaming only. 

Lumïn, for the most part, is a UPnP device taking advantage of something like MinimServer running on a NAS. Lumin also has more models with DACs. 

Support from both companies is great. 

you should also think about having everything in one component like Lumïn or splitting the digital from analog like Aurender and your DAC. No wrong way to do it. 

I’m a big fan of your speakers, but less so the components. I had CR1s for many years. We all have different tastes though, no right or wrong. I think you could do better than the C2000 for sure. I’d take an X1 over the C2000 any day of the week. I’d also take an N20 and T+A DAC 200, a combination I have in my system right now. 

I’m unsure the requirements to drive your amps direct from a DAC versus a preamp though. There are specs of course, then there are real life and personal preference.