IGNORED

Article: Lumin X1 Review

1 hour ago, rossb said:

Very good review, Chris.

Did you happen top compare the RCA and XLR outputs? How does the X1 compare with the DCS Rossini listed in the Associated Equipment?

Thanks Ross. My system is all XLR so I just never use RCA terminated cabled. The X1 isn't up to the level of the Rossini in terms of absolute resolution but for some listeners the X1 will be more engaging. I highly recommend people listen to both head to head. 

1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I had a quick look at the article, saw your crucify yourself choice of room target curve and lost any interest in reading whatever you might say. I caught the word analog though, guess that anything taming your crucify yourself room target curve will be a relief.

I have no idea what you just said. 

30 minutes ago, saturdayboy said:

Great review, couldn’t agree more. I’ve heard the X1 head to head against a dcs Bartok, and to my ears the Lumin is the clear winner.

Chris, you should definitely check out Patty Griffin’s catalog. She is the finest songwriter this country has produced in the last 25 years in my opinion (and many other’s).

Thanks SB. The X1 and Bartok would be an interesting listen. Two very different sonic signatures and design philosophies. This is part of the fun. Finding what meets one's needs best. 

3 minutes ago, CMB said:

This review makes me wanna try Lumin before I buy myself a new Dac/streamer

Within this pricepoint I am thinking about dCS Bartok, MSB discrete and now Lumin x1

Hi CMB, excellent. This is exactly what I want people to think after reading the review. Nobody should walk away thinking I'm the Minister of Information and that my opinion is what should be used for purchases. The X1 and the Bartok are two pieces I'd look at very hard and listen to in your own system if you can. It shouldn't take too long to make a decision once you hear them in your system. They sound different. I'm sure you will prefer one over the other.

I just hope you don't like the Bartok for one type of music and the X1 for another :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Wow. Nice work on the calibrated speaker response, Chris!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - looking forward to seeing more of your sound room and the treatments you've installed in that challenging space!

One beef I've had over the years with many reviewers has been the lack of transparency as to how the review rooms look like. The fact that you've been open with pictures of the room and showing things like the frequency response is great to see Chris.

Thanks Archimago. I figure that the more information I can provide to readers, the better they can evaluate my evaluation of components. 

A reviewer suggesting a component has great bass, while his room is +20 dB at 100 Hz, is a disservice if he doesn’t disclose that spike in frequency. 

I was originally just going to publish my room response without any correction. That is until I heard what correction can do. 

Lastly, enabling and disabling this DSP is done with the press of a button. I’m not locked into using it if I suspect something isn’t right. Also, I give myself sanity checks frequently by A/B’ing the sound and listening to it both ways. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks Archimago. I figure that the more information I can provide to readers, the better they can evaluate my evaluation of components. 

A reviewer suggesting a component has great bass, while his room is +20 dB at 100 Hz, is a disservice if he doesn’t disclose that spike in frequency. 

I was originally just going to publish my room response without any correction. That is until I heard what correction can do. 

Lastly, enabling and disabling this DSP is done with the press of a button. I’m not locked into using it if I suspect something isn’t right. Also, I give myself sanity checks frequently by A/B’ing the sound and listening to it both ways. 

Yup, it's nice in Roon to be able to easily select various presets.

BTW, here's what my presets looks like these days:

Roon_Presets_for_DRC.thumb.png.4b19f4e87b495a5f0a8a2779c982cf84.png

I do have a "FLAT Room Curve" if the need arises but for the most part will listen with the B&K room curve. Then there are the "Harshness Dip" variants. Regardless, IMO any of these variants would sound more controlled than without the room correction and provide a standard reference!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I wonder how the X1 would work with new Small Green Computer sever with it's optical Ethernet output.

Thanks.

It seems you guys prefer the TL-SM311LM SFP module.  We tested this SFP module before with Lumin X1, so I believe it would make a great fanless setup.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@The Computer Audiophile nice review. I was wondering if your X1 and the external power supply have markings for US standards compliance (e.g., UL, and FCC). I know the LUMIN products I have seen have “CE” labels on the bottom of the units, but that is a self-certifying standard. Pictures of the internal switching power supplies for the less expensive LUMIN products don’t have any certification/testing markings in the pictures I’ve seen either.

Just curious because I have a LUMIN U1 Mini always plugged in and there are no US safety and compliance markings on the product. I’m assuming the importer/distributer could produce proof of compliance in order to resell in the US.

3 minutes ago, Gus141 said:

@The Computer Audiophile nice review. I was wondering if your X1 and the external power supply have markings for US standards compliance (e.g., UL, and FCC). I know the LUMIN products I have seen have “CE” labels on the bottom of the units, but that is a self-certifying standard. Pictures of the internal switching power supplies for the less expensive LUMIN products don’t have any certification/testing markings in the pictures I’ve seen either.

Just curious because I have a LUMIN U1 Mini always plugged in and there are no US safety and compliance markings on the product. I’m assuming the importer/distributer could produce proof of compliance in order to resell in the US.

Here you go.

X1.jpeg

PSU.jpeg

2 hours ago, yyz said:

Would it be possible to connect 2 preamps with 1 Lumin X1. That is use both the XLR and RCA outputs from the X1 to 2 preamps?

Although this will work on a functional standpoint, connecting both the analog RCA and XLR outputs would degrade sound quality, especially for Lumin X1 / S1 / A1 / T1.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 3 months later...

I don’t have a lot of experience with high end DACs, but I own an SME 30/2 turntable + SME V with mono crystal wiring and Koetsu Onyx Platinum.

I packed away the turntable into its packing case with the idea that if a Lumin X1 could sound close to it, I’d be done with vinyl and could move over completely to streaming digital.

I sold my digital system;

Berkeley DAC Series 2 + USB

Sonore Optical Rendu

Sonore Optical Module

UpTone Audio JS-2 linear supply

Duelund DC and AC cables

Curious USB

Not too shabby, but not top flight and noticeably different from the analog front end.

First things first.

The Lumin X1 needs a lot of break-in.

I’ve  been running mine 24/7 since receiving it on March 5th and its starting to sing now.

Personally I prefer native PCM over upsample, but maybe I’m alone in that opinion.

Music has been a huge part of my life since at 13 years old in 1977 the punk scene erupted around me in the UK.

I was at University in Sheffield in the UK when the rave scene came in.

Before that we were going to Jamaican blues parties with wall to ceiling speakers and alternating to clubs blasting hip hop.

My musical tastes are all encompassing and my system needs to be able to play anything I throw at it and and sound amazing

How does the X1 play music?

incredibly involving and musical.

Mellow, spacious, fast, articulate, dynamic, ground shaking, gob smacking...

I could go on and on, but it really is that special.

Special thanks to Peter Lie of Lumin for spending personal time to answer my questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Did you possibly do any testing of using the LUMIN X1 output USB to your owned DACs?  I am curious as to your opinion of the LUMIN X1 would compare to the Signature Rendu SE Optical to your other DAC units as a  streaming rendering device.  I understand price points are much different and doing so would bypass the fine DAC of the X1, but am trying to find some comparison of how these differ in presentation.

Thanks in advance 

28 minutes ago, further said:

Chris,

Did you possibly do any testing of using the LUMIN X1 output USB to your owned DACs?  I am curious as to your opinion of the LUMIN X1 would compare to the Signature Rendu SE Optical to your other DAC units as a  streaming rendering device.  I understand price points are much different and doing so would bypass the fine DAC of the X1, but am trying to find some comparison of how these differ in presentation.

Thanks in advance 

Good question. I didn't do this because I just didn't see the use case being very popular. That said, I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinions if they've tried this. 

• 1 month later...

@The Computer Audiophile

Hello Chris

you said about x1 and Bartok

Two very different sonic signatures and design philosophies.

Different design philosophies is ok and understandable.

as much as possible, can you try to describe what is the difference in sonic signatures you heard and observed

i mean from your listening impressions point of view, can you quantify or describe in details what was the difference please?

Appreciate your response.