IGNORED

Tekton Ulfberht 3.1 System

Hello, 

Sharing my newly setup Tekton Ulfberht system. This has been my long anticipated system [end game to justify the costs] as I've waited nearly a year to move into my new home. I've been listening to the system now for 3 days. The system consists of: 

1. Onkyo PR-RZ5100
  2. Onkyo DXC390 6 Disc CD Changer
  3. Emotiva XPA Gen 3 5 Channel
  4. Tekton Ulfberht L + C + R
  5. Tekton 4-10 Subwoofer
  6. Sony XBR-65A8G OLED
  7. Sony UBP-X700 DVD/Blue Ray 4K player

The amplifier made by Emotiva is an XPA-5 Gen 3 5 Channel [490 watts/channel RMS into 4 Ohms; two channels driven]. The amp is configured to run 4 channels into 4 ohms to the Left and Right Ulfberht towers in Bi-amp mode from the Onkyo Preamp. The last or 5th channel by the Emotiva amp runs the Ulfberht center channel [4 6.5 inch and 5 speaker compression array matched to the Ulfberhts]. Connecting everything source wise are HDMI [ARC] and XLR balanced cables. Subwoofers, besides the L and R tower's 4 12 inch woofers is complemented by Tekton's 4-10 which is an active design [300 watts rms] housing 4 10" subs equaling the same displacement as 1 single 18" driven from 20hz to 120hz. Calibrating everything is the AccuEQ Room built in calibration of the Onkyo PR-RZ5100.

In just a few days I am totally captivated by the breathtaking soundstage which despite the sheer size of the Tekton Ulfberhts disappear in the music. This is the first time I've actually listened first hand to Eric Anderson's patented compression array consisting of two 7 speaker compression drivers above and below one tweeter of each tower. Each tower also consists of 4 7" mid drivers and 2 12" woofers. The 55 speaker system disappears before the listener as the towers are powered in the 3 channel system which has a toed in position and distance separation of 14.7 feet between the L and R. I decided to begin with an equal triangle of 14 feet 7 inches between not only the two towers but also between them to the listener's ears. The house has vaulted ceilings and hard flooring so to say that the sound is lively currently is an understatement. As things are moved in namely plants trees etc to the open floor spacing sound dispersion will follow. In the future I'm pretty sure I'll be experimenting with sound absorption/dampening panels that are both effective as well as cosmetically appealing [form and function].

Visually, video wise I installed the Sony 65" A8G OLED which I have to fine tune. Looking for any recommendations of personal tweaked settings etc. 

249198685_EntertainmentRoomFront.thumb.jpg.ee1aa00807fa2c45ad001cd2289ecd13.jpg

827431530_EntertainmentRoom.thumb.jpg.128ed0edade83dc942260ccb6b34a0dc.jpg

20191201_094825.thumb.jpg.6a07fc2c4a8596fd90dcc7b33b46ec3e.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

2 hours ago, coot said:

How do you keep kitty from clawing the grilles?

So far so good but in the event they start clawing the grills I'll replace the speaker cloth with a metal mesh. 

2 hours ago, coot said:

sn't it bass-heavy in the left? Not only due to a corner being only on that side, but you placed the sub also on the left.

Bass heavy? No, bass, mid, highs etc are in proportion [flat]. Does the bass get really loud? Yes, but in proportion to the midrange and highs. I may build a custom rack and move the subwoofer and add 3 more 4-10s for a total of 16 ten inch subwoofers. 

Below certain frequencies @coot sound is not directional as you probably know. I've only had this system set up now for a few days. I'll be experimenting with placement and sound absorption such as bass traps in the corner. As for now the AccuEQ built into the Onkyo Pre-amp "sounds" as though it is doing a fine job. Later on I'll do some manually tweaking but for now I'm just acclimating to the towers whose sound will change as the speakers break in. 

Enjoy!

And thanks for your inquiry,

William

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

1 hour ago, Shimei said:

So far so good but in the event they start clawing the grills I'll replace the speaker cloth with a metal mesh. 

Bass heavy? No, bass, mid, highs etc are in proportion [flat]. Does the bass get really loud? Yes, but in proportion to the midrange and highs. I may build a custom rack and move the subwoofer and add 3 more 4-10s for a total of 16 ten inch subwoofers. 

Below certain frequencies @coot sound is not directional as you probably know. I've only had this system set up now for a few days. I'll be experimenting with placement and sound absorption such as bass traps in the corner. As for now the AccuEQ built into the Onkyo Pre-amp "sounds" as though it is doing a fine job. Later on I'll do some manually tweaking but for now I'm just acclimating to the towers whose sound will change as the speakers break in. 

Enjoy!

And thanks for your inquiry,

William

Looks like an amazing setup. I've always wanted to hear Tektons but don't have anywhere I could audition them. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Congrats on your Tekton purchase(s)!

I plan to get a pair of Moabs but I have cats who would ruin cloth grilles in no time so will make some perforated steel grilles.

Folks seem to be pretty happy with Tektons.

Similar to you, my room has a corner to the left and the right has a large opening. The bass on the left is 3x what is on the right without room correction. This is the reason I mentioned bass. I am not familiar with AccuEQ, but that must be correcting it. No doubt it's also allowing you to have to Ulfs so close to the wall.

Just one more question: What made you think the Ulfs need more bass? Did you hear them before buying the sub? Just curious.

2 hours ago, coot said:

I plan to get a pair of Moabs but I have cats who would ruin cloth grilles in no time so will make some perforated steel grilles.

That's exactly my plan too, that is, steel or other material grills. Long as the steel doesn't "ring" I'd actually like a transparent look. 

2 hours ago, coot said:

Just one more question: What made you think the Ulfs need more bass? Did you hear them before buying the sub? Just curious.

What made me want more bass is the "shock factor!" when guest demo the system. The system already has a percussion you can feel in your chest whenever a kick drum hits or an explosion while watching a movie. I know I won't be happy though until I can get the hair standing up on the back of guest's necks.  I debated on a pair of Tekton 21" but decided to go smaller but more in quantity to equal the displacement for tight tight control. And, the 4-10s are active so no more amplifier channels are needed. 

Enjoy,

William

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I've always wanted to hear Tektons but don't have anywhere I could audition them. 

I'm in Nampa Idaho. If you are ever in the area let me know 🙂

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 3:27 PM, coot said:

I spoke too soon! Curiosity got to my cats and now there's a blemish on the cloth speaker grill. I just contacted a supplier that offers acoustical metal mesh sheets of various designs for speaker grills. I think the best way to have these made will be to take the sheets and stock grills [to use the frames] to sheet metal fabricator. I'm sure they can bend the sheet metal around the stock frames to make them perfect. In case you're interested or in need of a supplier for the sheets: 

https://metlx.com/markets/speaker-grilles/

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Wow, that's some system! Glad you are enjoying it - it's very satisfying to have one's "end-game" setup.

One question: are you considering an acoustic absorption or dispersion measures? Like a rug on the floor, fabric window coverings, additional fabric pillows on the sofas and/or acoustic panels? Just curious.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 9:06 PM, tmtomh said:

Wow, that's some system! Glad you are enjoying it - it's very satisfying to have one's "end-game" setup.

One question: are you considering an acoustic absorption or dispersion measures? Like a rug on the floor, fabric window coverings, additional fabric pillows on the sofas and/or acoustic panels? Just curious.

I'm trying other means of sound dispersion at this time. Simply adding objects which are meant to break up sound waves such as trees etc. Here's a pic of some placed in front of the windows minus the Christmas tree. 

346247510_IndoorTrees.thumb.jpg.12f2967b4d98c683369c665bde7734ff.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

On 12/16/2019 at 9:06 PM, tmtomh said:

I believe in form and function. Something may have function but if the thing is blatantly ugly then I reject it. I mean I could egg crate the whole room etc. Ya gotta draw a line and most often my wife tells me when I've crossed it. I thought about going with Acoustical panels like this but I'm almost where I want to be now without them. I'm supplying the below link because these sound panels clearly have form as well as function.

Enjoy,m

Shim

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/home-theater-puts-acoustics-front-and-center

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

• 5 weeks later...

Finally pulled the grills off for some dusting. Pictures of Tekton's "battleship mode". 

20200219_094218.jpg.ab72cb4f2cb1abf7380d71de4669cef2.jpg

20200219_094331.jpg.97ecea121196603904cf548444f834e1.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

58 minutes ago, Shimei said:

Finally pulled the grills off for some dusting. Pictures of Tekton's "battleship mode". 

20200219_094218.jpg.ab72cb4f2cb1abf7380d71de4669cef2.jpg

20200219_094331.jpg.97ecea121196603904cf548444f834e1.jpg

I've always wanted to hear some Tektons. Like the concept. Your system looks insane without the grills.  Like you got it from the Borg Collective from Star Trek (and I mean insane in a good way!). 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

23 minutes ago, firedog said:

I've always wanted to hear some Tektons. Like the concept. Your system looks insane without the grills.  Like you got it from the Borg Collective from Star Trek (and I mean insane in a good way!). 

Thanks, 

We live in an open floor plan house so on one end are the Ulfs and on the other end is the kitchen. I just had the kitchen cabinets sprayed the Ulf color "silver half dollar" in order to pull the entire living space together. 

If you're ever in the Nampa Idaho area let me know [18 minutes from Boise airport]. We can arrange a demo. 

Enjoy,

William

20200215_203437.jpg.804f14704ab3317e23689adaff419321.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Trying my hand at reviewing as well as amateur blogging. If you're interested in some of my reviews of Tekton products:

https://www.disqus.social/

https://www.disqus.social/2020/02/review-tekton-design-ulfberht.html

https://www.disqus.social/2020/02/review-tekton-design-4-10-subwoofer.html

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

• 6 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 9:13 PM, coot said:

Hey William-

I am impressed! Not just by your setup, but by your writing talent. I like your style, man. Your humor make this a good read. Looking forward to more!

Thanks! I actually began working on the review again after having several months with the Ulfberhts. The article review is a work in progress, I'm taking a different angle while having fun as an amateur reviewer: 

https://www.disqus.social/2020/09/review-tekton-design-ulfberhts.html

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Hi William,

Nice progress on the system. I like the dark/light absorbent pieces on the wall behind - reminiscent of piano keys. 

Re: Kitty

I see no damage to the grilles or sub speaker surrounds. How do you keep kitty from clawing those? The temptation must be strong.

-Al

On 9/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, coot said:

Hi William,

Nice progress on the system. I like the dark/light absorbent pieces on the wall behind - reminiscent of piano keys. 

Re: Kitty

I see no damage to the grilles or sub speaker surrounds. How do you keep kitty from clawing those? The temptation must be strong.

-Al

An abrupt NO! if "they" dare even look upwards before the mighty towers. Also there's a tall clawing post nearby. 

The newest guy Asher is already trained and seemingly understands his claws are only to come out on his clawing post.

Kinda funny in that both Asher and Abigail come running no matter where they are in the house to the prime listening position when they hear the click of the system powering on. Both will lay down and listen while falling asleep. I mean, it's every time. Guess the system passes the feline listening test! 

20190908_175305.jpg

20190831_195654.jpg

20200111_175916.jpg

Seen below is Asher after he was kicked off the couch so I could take a picture from center. 

1229188215_CompleteSoundStage.jpg.b71dab1fe722827fe8eabbff540cb7f1.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i