Confused

Lee Scoggins Now President and EVP at NextScreen

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

A textbook example of "failing upwards".

A bit unfair, he might be very good professionally, when he isn't writing about MQA. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

So here is a thought.  Mr Scoggins now holds a very interesting position within the audio industry.  Some might be aware that he is currently banned from this forum.  OK - He broke the rules, he got banned.  That said, even arch criminals and murderers sometimes get parole after time served.

Personally, I think it might be interesting if he was back and contributing on the forum.  Not my decision of course, and he would need to obey the rules.  Otherwise this thread will just be an insult Lee thread.  Some might think he deserves it, but maybe he deserves a voice, and maybe his voice might be of interest now that he holds an influential position within the audio press?

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR4 (x2), Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection.

Considering that this forum has become perhaps the best example of "democratization of information" in the context of internet audio forums, this development is of very little to no consequence to the forum members.  The cozy relationship between the establishment audio media and the manufacturers will continue unabated.  

I would welcome Lee's return so I could ask him why I lost access to my TAS digital subscription halfway through it's term and why no one at his company is able to help me.  

Girl, you want it, you take it, you pay the price

15 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I would welcome Lee's return so I could ask him why I lost access to my TAS digital subscription halfway through it's term and why no one at his company is able to help me.  

you could find his new co. on Goggle maps then post a review where you ask that question

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

2 hours ago, firedog said:

The simple truth is that in his MQA discussions he was a complete obfuscator, and changed his criteria pretty much every time he was shown to be wrong. He also clearly didn't understand all the technical issues involved and refused to acknowledge that, and instead just regurgitated "Bob speak". I don't think he had a whole lot to contribute. 

He does have a lot of experience with audio, so I guess if you just want subjective evaluations he might have something to add. 

That said, none of us know much about how he behaves in his professional life, or his level of competence. He's clearly an intelligent individual, so I just thought we should give him a break in that area instead of having a whole thread of smug comments about him. Especially when he is banned here and can't respond.
I agree, what is the point of a Lee Scoggins insult thread....

Actually I do know about him professionally and know him personally. 

He may find himself in an interesting position managing an enterprise. It will be something  to watch with interest professionally.

And I would have no problem with him coming back. He simply was out of his element with the data around the vaporware thread.

6 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm thinking that in his new position, it wouldn't be appropriate for him to engage directly in public forums.  He has people for that now.

Is his new position a step up or down?

20 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm thinking "president" is a higher title than "consultant".  Am I missing something?

You are only thinking of the title. Just how big is enterprise he is president of? His last title was Director in a consulting company. A big one.

13 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

You are only thinking of the title. Just how big is enterprise he is president of? His last title was Director in a consulting company. A big one.

Ok, fair enough.  But here's my point, without looking it up, how many people know the name of the last person to hold this position?  We know the heads of the audio publications under the umbrella, because those are the mouthpieces.

But to be fair, Scoggins' arrival could possibly herald a new era for these publications where the head of the company is more "active" in social media than his predecessors.  I have no idea.  Do you have any feel for this?

7 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

But to be fair, Scoggins' arrival could possibly herald a new era for these publications where the head of the company is more "active" in social media than his predecessors.

Unfortunately, he isn't head of the company:

Lee will report into Tom Martin, CEO of NextScreen.

Girl, you want it, you take it, you pay the price

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Unfortunately, he isn't head of the company:

I had to read that announcement twice to understand what's being said.  His EVP title (not to be confused with the President title) has to do with "business development".  So maybe he has to "sing for his supper".  🙂

28 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Ok, fair enough.  But here's my point, without looking it up, how many people know the name of the last person to hold this position?  We know the heads of the audio publications under the umbrella, because those are the mouthpieces.

But to be fair, Scoggins' arrival could possibly herald a new era for these publications where the head of the company is more "active" in social media than his predecessors.  I have no idea.  Do you have any feel for this?

Nobody knew the last president because it went from CEO to Vice President/ Group Publisher. 

And Lee still reports to Tom Martin Chairmen/CEO.

I’ll have a better feel next week after the LAOCAS gala this weekend.