IGNORED

Lee Scoggins Now President and EVP at NextScreen

2 hours ago, firedog said:

The simple truth is that in his MQA discussions he was a complete obfuscator, and changed his criteria pretty much every time he was shown to be wrong. He also clearly didn't understand all the technical issues involved and refused to acknowledge that, and instead just regurgitated "Bob speak". I don't think he had a whole lot to contribute. 

He does have a lot of experience with audio, so I guess if you just want subjective evaluations he might have something to add. 

That said, none of us know much about how he behaves in his professional life, or his level of competence. He's clearly an intelligent individual, so I just thought we should give him a break in that area instead of having a whole thread of smug comments about him. Especially when he is banned here and can't respond.
I agree, what is the point of a Lee Scoggins insult thread....

Actually I do know about him professionally and know him personally. 

He may find himself in an interesting position managing an enterprise. It will be something  to watch with interest professionally.

And I would have no problem with him coming back. He simply was out of his element with the data around the vaporware thread.

28 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Ok, fair enough.  But here's my point, without looking it up, how many people know the name of the last person to hold this position?  We know the heads of the audio publications under the umbrella, because those are the mouthpieces.

But to be fair, Scoggins' arrival could possibly herald a new era for these publications where the head of the company is more "active" in social media than his predecessors.  I have no idea.  Do you have any feel for this?

Nobody knew the last president because it went from CEO to Vice President/ Group Publisher. 

And Lee still reports to Tom Martin Chairmen/CEO.

I’ll have a better feel next week after the LAOCAS gala this weekend.

35 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Well, maybe this is a good thing since we kind of know among the publishing groups approximately where the lines are drawn.

If one is into all-out Industry fraternization, obfuscation, willingness to forego facts and truths, accept spiritual levels of explanation applied to audio gear, have a "president" willing to unabashedly shill publicly then NextScreen Publishing Group is it and Mr. Scoggins is your man. The Absolute Sound, Hi-Fi+, and his alma mater Part-Time Audiophile are the places to go for this kind of indoctrination "news".

On the other side we have AVTech Media with Stereophile, Hi-Fi News & RR, Sound & Vision with IMO at least the ability to provide reality-testing. While I have no love for AudioStream and InnerFidelity is a disaster since Tyll's departure, at least there's significantly more on the AVTech side of value IMO...

Then we have the Independents like us here with various opinions and philosophies. Will be fascinating to see how these publishing groups play out through the 2020's.

Lee is certainly going to make the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society Gala fun this weekend. And I have Lee Scoggins, Jim Austin and Art Dudley right where I want them. Imagine the joy in my heart when I texted Andy Quint and said you work for Lee now. Andy posted his congratulations on TAS.    I will introduce my girlfriend to Michhael Fremer as the Lee Scoggins of Stereophile at the Gala.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, davide256 said:

It wasn’t cheap in the 80’s and came out quarterly, thick as a paperback and worth reading cover to cover with minimal advertisements. Believe the shift came when HP sold controlling interest in the mid 90’s

TAS briefly went out of business until Tom Martin rescued it in the nineties.

As I’ve said many times America would be a better place if Harry Pearson had stayed an environmental journalist.

• 1 month later...