Doak

May We Never ....

Rate this topic

is that the one wish the aliens would grant today?

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Computers are for email, not music.  Get thee a streamer thingy.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

4 minutes ago, SJK said:

My pet peeve is the incredible misuse of Artificial Intelligence, or AI.  I work (partly) with developing automation schemes for mining machines and I'm getting tired of saying "It's not AI, it's just a program".

OMG. I finally found someone else who agrees with me on this! Seemingly everything is labeled AI today. If it contains code, it's called AI. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

31 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This one is close to my heart and will annoy me forever. Everything is a computer today. Phones, streamers, some DACs, music servers, etc... They all are computers. 

Perhaps getting rid of the term computer audio means that because everything is computer based, the term is redundant. Audio = computer audio, unless specified as analog based :~)

It gets to be a PITA to write out "multi-function computer" as opposed to "streamer." Both are also a bit ridiculous. But older folks are likely to not call their baby-cam, microwave, refrigerator, or new "smart wallet," - a computer.

11 minutes ago, SJK said:

My pet peeve is the incredible misuse of Artificial Intelligence, or AI.  I work (partly) with developing automation schemes for mining machines and I'm getting tired of saying "It's not AI, it's just a program".

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OMG. I finally found someone else who agrees with me on this! Seemingly everything is labeled AI today. If it contains code, it's called AI. 

Isn’t it called AI if there is a self “allso programmed” learning/ adapting aspect to the program?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

Clock modded FS105 v3, Clock modded Isoregen, Lush^2

14 minutes ago, SJK said:

The term has become synonymous with neural networks and machine learning, when it used to cover a range of technologies such a rule based systems, logic programming and genetic algorithms. On the upside, AI never used to work when I studied it as a student a long time ago, but now it does thanks to the hugely more powerful computation and data sets we now have available. Neural networks aren’t very good at explaining how they came to make a decision and so I’m sure the old fashioned ‘expert systems’ approach will come back in some form.

System (i): (iUSB3.0 Nano/RPi 2/Moode > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodek/SME V/Ortofon 2M Black/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > Glow Amp One > Klipsch RP-600M

System (ii): iUSB3.0 Nano/RPi 2/Moode > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > (Tandy LX5; JBL LSR305 ; Audeze LCD-3)

The current form of AI is really different from how it was in my old days. IMO these days it really is about smart recursive - and extremely powerful - programming techniques (and languages) which implies "smartness" from learning the environment.

Btw, back in the days I worked for the company who was as far as I can tell the pioneer in computerized language translation. Let's say this failed back then (Esperanto as the center language). Now look what can be done today without real attention (from us consumers of it). It goes quite unnoticed.

Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

The term has become synonymous with neural networks and machine learning, when it used to cover a range of technologies such a rule based systems, logic programming and genetic algorithms. On the upside, AI never used to work when I studied it as a student a long time ago, but now it does thanks to the hugely more powerful computation and data sets we now have available. Neural networks aren’t very good at explaining how they came to make a decision and so I’m sure the old fashioned ‘expert systems’ approach will come back in some form.

I remember the promise of AI on Compuserve in the mid 80’s. 

Hah, I say.  Hah.

Thirty years on - nothing has changed. A program is a program.  

Except for Tron, of course.  

DoD disagrees with that

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

1 hour ago, MetalNuts said:

Does it matter whether it is called computer audio or any other name? It is the nature and substance in it that matters.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

HAL-MC2_400x400.png.d1e8536417824971dbf034c909914fcc.png

Some hi-fi names are retronyms:

A retronym is a newer name for an existing thing that differentiates the original form or version from a more recent one. It is thus a word or phrase created to differentiate between two types, whereas previously (before there were two types) no clarification was required.

Like: linear power supply and acoustic guitar.

1 hour ago, Jeff_N said:

Land line phone or corded phone.

The one that makes me laugh is the difference between a cordless phone and a wireless phone. Completely different things, but confounding to someone new to a language or concept.

Founder of Audiophile Style

2 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Some hi-fi names are retronyms:

A retronym is a newer name for an existing thing that differentiates the original form or version from a more recent one. It is thus a word or phrase created to differentiate between two types, whereas previously (before there were two types) no clarification was required.

Like: linear power supply and acoustic guitar.

Hark Samuel Johnson😁

We have had CD's for a while now, was it referred to as digital audio?

At the end of the day the audio we listen to has not changed, its still analogue...

Myself I prefer the moniker:

"Audio stored as bits are bits on some digital storage media distributed over a crappy digital interface that requires some form of cleansing because its so fatiguing and you better have used linear power supplies and not switch mode or the jitter will be unbearable; Audio"

Just slips of the tongue...😀