IGNORED

Chinese brand “compatible” SFP’s with Sonore optical products?

I don’t need them just yet, but by early next year I am going to have to buy two of something akin to the TP-Link TL-SM311LM SFP that Sonore sells as part of its System Optique.  I wonder if the TP-Link branded product is going out of production, as a lot of sellers are out of stock and the remaining sellers seem to engaging in a bit of price gouging.  

However, there are lots of no-name and off-brand Chinese SFP's that claim compatibility with the TP-Link, mostly available on eBay.  These generally run from half to two-thirds of the pre-gouge TP-Link retail price.

Have any of you tried any of these "compatible" products with Sonore optical products?  I am concerned about overheating the FMC part of the Sonore products, as, if I recall correctly, that was the concern about experimenting with SFP's and optical cables.  Also, of course, I am hoping for equal reliability.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

7 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I don’t need them just yet, but by early next year I am going to have to buy two of something akin to the TP-Link TL-SM311LM SFP that Sonore sells as part of its System Optique.  I wonder if the TP-Link branded product is going out of production, as a lot of sellers are out of stock and the remaining sellers seem to engaging in a bit of price gouging.  

However, there are lots of no-name and off-brand Chinese SFP's that claim compatibility with the TP-Link, mostly available on eBay.  These generally run from half to two-thirds of the pre-gouge TP-Link retail price.

Have any of you tried any of these "compatible" products with Sonore optical products?  I am concerned about overheating the FMC part of the Sonore products, as, if I recall correctly, that was the concern about experimenting with SFP's and optical cables.  Also, of course, I am hoping for equal reliability.  

Mike,

Emile from Taiko Audio tested SFPs and posted the results on WBF.

The best ones he found were these from Startech. They all sound different, so I would not go for cheap chinese ones.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

13 hours ago, matthias said:

Mike,

Emile from Taiko Audio tested SFPs and posted the results on WBF.

The best ones he found were these from Startech. They all sound different, so I would not go for cheap chinese ones.

Matt

Matt, can you provide a link to the posts?  I have tried searching WBF and come up short.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Just found the link in an EtherRegen thread:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-46#post-587473

The Startech SFP that he likes starts at about $70, which is more than I care to pay.  

12 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL SFP’s will work with Sonore gear. 

Also Cisco 30-1301-01 SFP’s work.

From what I have been told Finisar makes a lot of SFP’s for Cisco, Intel, etc.

Thanks for the Finisar tip.  There are Ubiquiti-branded Finisar OEM SFP’s with that model number at reasonable prices out there.  Good to know they should work in Sonore applications. 

7 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Just found the link in an EtherRegen thread:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-46#post-587473

The Startech SFP that he likes starts at about $70, which is more than I care to pay.  

Yes , this is the link.

You  can certainly spend less but then you will not get the best SQ.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

37 minutes ago, matthias said:

Yes , this is the link.

You  can certainly spend less but then you will not get the best SQ.

Matt

Thanks again.

I just looked at the prices of Taiko products!  I am in a whole other league pricewise, not remotely close to that one.  I suspect - and hope - Taiko products are far more resolving of the differences in all kinds of sources than mine are.

I am comfortable living at the default Sonore quality level.  That was what I was trying to replicate with generic SFP’s if possible.  If it is not, I will just grab a couple  of the TP-Links now, in case they disappear by the time I actually need them.